The Student Room Group

Working for the EU/UN without french qualification?

I'm currently doing my GCSEs, and next year plan to study History, Politics, German and Psychology.

I'm hoping to so some sort of degree in International Relations/Politics/European Studies at university, and I've always been interested in working in some sort of European Union or United Nations organisation...I've been looking around their recruitment websites and more often than not they ask for fluent English and a working knowledge of French.

What do you think a working knowledge would include? I have taken French for GCSE and am hoping to possibly scrape an A*, but I really find speaking/listening French almost impossible...I can barely understand more than a few words when listening to a native French speaker...

Basically, do you think having a good knowledge of French would be really that important in these sort of careers? I know it's a long way in the future, but I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Claire x
Reply 1
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but why don't you study A level French?

GCSE doesn't equip you with a 'working knowledge' at all and by the time you come to apply for jobs, you will probably have forgotten the little you have. I would either do A level French or take extra French classes at uni. It's definitely important; like you said, a lot of adverts (for internships too) will require a certain level in French. If you were to apply for a 'Stage' in Brussels, you will need a second language to be eligible- I have seen some which specify French.

I chose German over French for GCSE/A level/uni, and although I don't regret that, it has narrowed my options since French opens up far more of the world...(I graduated a couple of years ago and I am now teaching myself French...)
Reply 2
I considered taking French for A-Level but have been told my spoken french and listening skills were not really good enough to go on to A-Level...and at the time of choosing my options I wasn't fully aware of its importance.

There may be an option of me changing to French instead of Psychology, but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up (the people in my school taking it for A-Level are all extremely competent in it).

Maybe there will be time for me to learn French later in life...
claire_x
I considered taking French for A-Level but have been told my spoken french and listening skills were not really good enough to go on to A-Level...and at the time of choosing my options I wasn't fully aware of its importance.

There may be an option of me changing to French instead of Psychology, but I'm not sure I'd be able to keep up (the people in my school taking it for A-Level are all extremely competent in it).

Maybe there will be time for me to learn French later in life...

Surely if you're good enough to scrape at an A* in GCSE, you'd have a good base to start your A-Level French on?

And you can always change your options at the start of your AS-levels...
Reply 4
That's terrible that someone was so discouraging about your French! Of course your speaking/listening skills aren't impressive yet- you're only doing GCSE, you've barely had the chance to practise. If you are motivated to learn the language, you will improve massively at A level; it's much more intense.

Don't let this comment put you off, or the level of anyone else - since you are all only GCSE level, the difference can't be as big as you imagine.
Reply 5
stockholm
That's terrible that someone was so discouraging about your French! Of course your speaking/listening skills aren't impressive yet- you're only doing GCSE, you've barely had the chance to practise. If you are motivated to learn the language, you will improve massively at A level; it's much more intense.

Don't let this comment put you off, or the level of anyone else - since you are all only GCSE level, the difference can't be as big as you imagine.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I really think your should consider taking French to A-level standard or at least AS if this is something you really want to do. Speaking and listening skills are things that come with practise. If you're good enough to get an A* in French (I got an A at GCSE but managed to improve to A grade A-level standard and am now going on to do it at university) then I'm sure you have the ability to continue on to A-level, don't let other people discourage you from what you want to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending