The Student Room Group

My boyfriend's mom found out about us. :c

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Please find me a hostel in London which charges £5 a week for you to stay there. I will move in.

im not from or in london so not my problem. soz :smile:
Aaaaaaaand this is the world we live in, welcome to the UK 2016.

Protip: If you can't handle the idea of your kids growing up and doing what teenagers do (dating) then you're not suitable to be a parent, go get some birth control and avoid parenthood until you learn how to chill the hell out.

OP, I have no advice for you I'm sorry. She has made her mind up, his mum be it because of religion, race or both has closed her mind to you. She is more interested in keeping the faith/racial purity than her son's happiness.

Your best effort is to keep trying to win her over (likely to no benefit) or see him behind her back which doesn't solve the issue at all (unless you guys elope, which I wouldn't advise).

Nah, the best course of action is to move on, this is a teenage relationship so it's no ultimate great big loss.

Except for the country. So fed up of this racist/xenophobic bigoted nonsense (from anyone). If people can't handle their kids living in the modern western world then they should piss off to whatever corner of the world caters to their specific throwback version of society, be it skinhead white supremacy or fanatical Islamic purity
Original post by joey11223
What's your parents faith out of interest?

Good old religion, causing division/hatred/war since time eternal.

They're Hindus but don't follow the religion too harshly.

Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Except for the country. So fed up of this racist/xenophobic bigoted nonsense (from anyone). If people can't handle their kids living in the modern western world then they should piss off to whatever corner of the world caters to their specific throwback version of society, be it skinhead white supremacy or fanatical Islamic purity

Yeah, we've planned to get back at it after he graduates 'cuz there's no point sneaking around anymore. I think this experience has left a bad taste in our mouths. I'm done with his mother, she's insulting, rude and demeaning. I understand her son is involved but judging by the way she speaks, you'd think I'm trying to kill him and steal his money.

Thank you for your advice! x
I can sort her out for a fiver.
dump him and revise
Original post by keepyourapology
They're Hindus but don't follow the religion too harshly.

So why wouldn't your parents accept your relationship, still against dating, or would still want you to marry a Hindu ideally and not a Muslim?
Original post by joey11223
So why wouldn't your parents accept your relationship, still against dating, or would still want you to marry a Hindu ideally and not a Muslim?

They're against the idea of "casual dating", like they're more of the "you find one, you marry them" type. I'm not saying my relationship is casual but that's the way they'll see it.
And they believe that Islamic culture in general, is quite immersive for people like us (as most Hindus are quite lax with their religion) so it'll be a definite no-no to think about it. They'd prefer to be with someone of an atheist/Hindu view.
Original post by shawtyb
im not from or in london so not my problem. soz :smile:

Well, you're not giving yourself advice. Do you know where OP lives? I don't, and unless you've spoken before I'm guessing you don't either, which presumably means your advice applies everywhere.
Well, you're not giving yourself advice. Do you know where OP lives? I don't, and unless you've spoken before I'm guessing you don't either, which presumably means your advice applies everywhere.

if it applied everywhere then id have stated so
however, my advice was a generalised idea
Original post by shawtyb
if it applied everywhere then id have stated so
however, my advice was a generalised idea

Ah, sorry. I made the mistake of assuming your advice was supposed to be of some practical use.
Reply 50
Original post by keepyourapology
They're against the idea of "casual dating", like they're more of the "you find one, you marry them" type. I'm not saying my relationship is casual but that's the way they'll see it.
And they believe that Islamic culture in general, is quite immersive for people like us (as most Hindus are quite lax with their religion) so it'll be a definite no-no to think about it. They'd prefer to be with someone of an atheist/Hindu view.

Partly true, but I've seen even the most devout Hindu parents not demanding that their child's partner convert to Hinduism.
It's because the religion itself makes no such demand that someone converts to the faith in order to marry a Hindu.
Ah, sorry. I made the mistake of assuming your advice was supposed to be of some practical use.

no problemo. at least i was being an ******** unlike some around here
Reply 52
You can always find another boyfriend, but you cant find another Mom/dad. So I suggest you listen to your parents. Plus, you are too young to be in this mess anyway.
Original post by shawtyb
no problemo. at least i was being an ******** unlike some around here

I think you just mistakenly insulted yourself.
I think you just mistakenly insulted yourself.

nope :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending