The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bones-mccoy
Someone at the same height and weight/size as you could look completely different because they have a different body shape, so it's hard to tell what anyone looks like from just a description.
Honestly, YOU being happy and healthy at your size/weight is the only thing that matters.

This.

Ignore that horrid Madeline girl who clearly has about as much intelligence as she does inches around her waist.
Original post by SophieSmall
This.

Ignore that horrid Madeline girl who clearly has about as much intelligence as she does inches around her waist.

Thank you, yeah I think so haha.
You're probably underweight, eat more.
Original post by macsalaama
You're probably underweight, eat more.

I'm not medically underweight; my BMI is at the low end of a healthy weight. I used to be very underweight which is why I'm a bit insecure now I think. Wow, I've had such different replies on this - ranging from you're probably underweight through to you're a perfect size through to you're really fat.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not medically underweight; my BMI is at the low end of a healthy weight. I used to be very underweight which is why I'm a bit insecure now I think. Wow, I've had such different replies on this - ranging from you're probably underweight through to you're a perfect size through to you're really fat.

You are definitely not fat. I know it's easier said than done but don't pay attention to comments like those. I'm around the same height and size as you, size 6 on the upper half at times. I was underweight too at one point but looking back I was far from healthy back then.

Eat well, find time to exercise a bit and you'll feel better. Don't compare yourself to when you were underweight. Trust me, that won't help.
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

I'm about 5 foot 6 and weigh like 10 stone and I look average. You're probably actually quite slim! Don't worry - you're fine :smile:
Definitely isn't chubby for that height!
You are definitely not fat. I know it's easier said than done but don't pay attention to comments like those. I'm around the same height and size as you, size 6 on the upper half at times. I was underweight too at one point but looking back I was far from healthy back then.

Eat well, find time to exercise a bit and you'll feel better. Don't compare yourself to when you were underweight. Trust me, that won't help.

Thank you, I'll try not to. I'm not sure how much of the thread you've read but I'm a size 8 normally and occasionally a 6 or a 10. I used to be a size 4 or 6 which is why I started to be self conscious about it. Yes, you're probably right and maybe it's not healthy. Yeah I'll try to. I'll try not to cause you are right about that; it's just hard especially when you get comments from people like Madeline.
Thank you, I'll try not to. I'm not sure how much of the thread you've read but I'm a size 8 normally and occasionally a 6 or a 10. I used to be a size 4 or 6 which is why I started to be self conscious about it. Yes, you're probably right and maybe it's not healthy. Yeah I'll try to. I'll try not to cause you are right about that; it's just hard especially when you get comments from people like Madeline.

Honestly I just read your initial post and that's it :colondollar:
Size 4 for someone in their late-teen to 20s sounds way too small, please don't aim for that. Size 8/10, 8st and 5ft3 sounds pretty damn good to me.

I just read a few of Madeline's posts and they're not even worth replying to. She's just another stranger on the internet, don't worry about it.
Honestly I just read your initial post and that's it :colondollar:
Size 4 for someone in their late-teen to 20s sounds way too small, please don't aim for that. Size 8/10, 8st and 5ft3 sounds pretty damn good to me.

I just read a few of Madeline's posts and they're not even worth replying to. She's just another stranger on the internet, don't worry about it.

Haha, it just seems like ages ago that I wrote it now with everything that's been posted on this thread since then! Maybe you're right about a size 4, I'll probably try for a size 6 though. Thank you, yes I'll try to ignore Madeline. :smile:
Update: I checked my measurements again since I wrote my original post at the beginning of the thread. I made sure that I measured really accurately the second time because I was I was in a hurry the first time and wasn't sure I'd got them right.

On more accurate measuring, my measurements are:

Height: 5"3.5

Weight: 8 stone 0

BMI: 19.8

Body measurements: 36-26-35

Not that it matters really or makes much difference but just in case anyone was wondering why I was now saying my height was 5"3.5 instead of 5"3 as is in the title etc.
Original post by Lauren0812
I'm about 5 foot 6 and weigh like 10 stone and I look average. You're probably actually quite slim! Don't worry - you're fine :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Little Popcorns
Definitely isn't chubby for that height!

Thank you!
Original post by SophieSmall
You have got to be kidding?

I'm 4'9 and a size 6-10 depending on item of clothing and the shop I buy it at. Does that make me fat in your crazy mind?

And am I fat because I don't have a thigh gap? FYI I didn't have a thigh gap even when my BMI was 17 and I was underweight. But yes of course without a thigh gap even when underweight I must have been so fat.

You cannot determine whether someone is fat by a ridiculous number such as 8 or 10 in clothing. For one clothing sizes are not standardised in the slightest. Which is why in some store a size 6 will be massive and other stores a size 10 will be too small.

But yes of course even though I look like this: http://i.imgur.com/hnj6moM.jpg
and have a BMI well within the healthy range, because I sometimes need a size 8 or 10 because 6's don't allow for my breasts and hips even though even a size 6 is too large for my waist I must be soooo fat.

Now I don't give a hoot if you think my body is perfect or slim enough, and if you come back to me and say I'm fat I'll honestly just laugh because your opinion on my body is pretty worthless as far as I'm concerned.

But there are girls a lot younger and a lot more impressionable and less emotionally stable and confident in themselves than I am who may take your absolutely ridiculous statements to heart. And I want them to see this and to know that your opinion is laughable and to never listen to people like you.

You can. Someone who is 4'5 and is a size 14 is going to be fat with a muffin top. If they don't have a muffin top they'll put the weight on in their outer thighs and have a big bottoms that has no shape to it and tree trunk legs.

Good. The younger girls can see being fat is ugly and will aim to have a flat stomach, not tree trunks for legs, and flabby arms.
Original post by Madeline_H95
You can. Someone who is 4'5 and is a size 14 is going to be fat with a muffin top. If they don't have a muffin top they'll put the weight on in their outer thighs and have a big bottoms that has no shape to it and tree trunk legs.

Good. The younger girls can see being fat is ugly and will aim to have a flat stomach, not tree trunks for legs, and flabby arms.

Madeline, I know what some people on TSR can be like however I must say that I didn't imagine anyone in quite the class of yourself. Yes, if someone is 4"5 and a size 14 (which is very unlikely in an adult) they would most likely be medically overweight but the point is that in most cases you cannot tell from only a clothes size because of the huge variation in sizes in different shops.
In any case, from your previous posts you're not talking about people who are medically overweight or obese except when trying to justify yourself (and even when talking about people who are overweight it is completely unnecessary to be so nasty); you're mostly talking about people who are a healthy weight.

You say in one of your previous posts "no one is saying be size 0" and yet in everything else you've said that is almost exactly what you are saying. According to you, a girl who is 5"3 or under has to be either size 0 (UK size 4) or size 6 in order to be "normal and nice" and if she is a size 8 or above she is "fat". Presumably then this also applies to taller girls. So, in your opinion, presumably a girl who is over 5"3 has to be a size 4, size 6 or size 8 to be "normal" and if she is a size 10 or above she is "fat". This is a ridiculous attitude; your definitions of "normal" and "fat" are completely ludicrous. To top it all off, you say that if a girl doesn't have a thigh gap or a completely flat stomach then she is also "fat" no matter what size she is.

You say "not everyone is nice" as if you're proud of it and you call me "fat" when I'm 5"3.5 and my BMI is 19.8 when healthy BMIs range from 18.5 to 24.9 and below 18.5 is underweight and when I dispute that you still continue to try to "fat shame" me for being a size 8 in the nastiest possible way. When, I might add, you are also a size 8 and only a few inches taller but because I'm a size 8 at 5"3.5 I must be incredibly fat even with your precious thigh gap whereas of course you being a size 8 at 5"7 is "skinny" according to you. Just who do you think you are?

And as for your last comment there: simply appalling. Would you still think it was "good" if someone read your comments and it pushed them into developing an eating disorder? There is a huge difference between having "tree trunks for legs" and starving yourself to be a size 4 or 6 in every shop in order to fit your twisted definition of "normal and nice".
Madeline, I know what some people on TSR can be like however I must say that I didn't imagine anyone in quite the class of yourself. Yes, if someone is 4"5 and a size 14 (which is very unlikely in an adult) they would most likely be medically overweight but the point is that in most cases you cannot tell from only a clothes size because of the huge variation in sizes in different shops.
In any case, from your previous posts you're not talking about people who are medically overweight or obese except when trying to justify yourself (and even when talking about people who are overweight it is completely unnecessary to be so nasty); you're mostly talking about people who are a healthy weight.

You say in one of your previous posts "no one is saying be size 0" and yet in everything else you've said that is almost exactly what you are saying. According to you, a girl who is 5"3 or under has to be either size 0 (UK size 4) or size 6 in order to be "normal and nice" and if she is a size 8 or above she is "fat". Presumably then this also applies to taller girls. So, in your opinion, presumably a girl who is over 5"3 has to be a size 4, size 6 or size 8 to be "normal" and if she is a size 10 or above she is "fat". This is a ridiculous attitude; your definitions of "normal" and "fat" are completely ludicrous. To top it all off, you say that if a girl doesn't have a thigh gap or a completely flat stomach then she is also "fat" no matter what size she is.

You say "not everyone is nice" as if you're proud of it and you call me "fat" when I'm 5"3.5 and my BMI is 19.8 when healthy BMIs range from 18.5 to 24.9 and below 18.5 is underweight and when I dispute that you still continue to try to "fat shame" me for being a size 8 in the nastiest possible way. When, I might add, you are also a size 8 and only a few inches taller but because I'm a size 8 at 5"3.5 I must be incredibly fat even with your precious thigh gap whereas of course you being a size 8 at 5"7 is "skinny" according to you. Just who do you think you are?

And as for your last comment there: simply appalling. Would you still think it was "good" if someone read your comments and it pushed them into developing an eating disorder? There is a huge difference between having "tree trunks for legs" and starving yourself to be a size 4 or 6 in every shop in order to fit your twisted definition of "normal and nice".

You're not going to get any kind of straight answer or intelligent discussion out of Madeline.

As you can see from her response to me she seems utterly incapable or reading and comprehending what is put in front of her, considering she ignored pretty much everything I said in my post and was unable to answer my question and refute my evidence against her claims. She instead posted a ridiculous counterargument of a 4'5 size 14 person, which is not remotely the same as what I offered up. And then went on to make out like she is doing the world a favour by telling girls who are not remotely fat that they are fat.

She's clearly the product of bad parenting and low self esteem. I can only assume mummy or daddy called her fat one too many times and so now she lashes out at others because she has horrifically warped view of normal and can't stand the thought of anyone being happy and healthy.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm 5'1 and weigh 8stone 7lbs, I don't think I'm chubby really.
I'd say you're a completely normal size. :smile:

You are fine don't worry. :h:
Reply 118
OP you are absolutely fine....please don't worry too much. :h:
Don't use BMI, use your percentage of body fat to measure fatness. Percentage body fat is the best way to measure how fat someone is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending