Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English Literature with Edminzodo!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I highly doubt anybody is studying The Winter's Tale, but I'm going to make a thread of handy information just in case. It helps me to revise as well.

I'll be posting throughout the day, so if you have any requests, let me know!

And if I have time, I'll also write about Top Girls, another play I'm studying, as well.

Act One - Key Quotes

' . . . great difference betwixt our Bohemia and your Sicilia'
    - Archidamus (Act One, Scene One)

'We were as twinned lambs that did frisk i'th'sun'
    - Polixenes (Act One, Scene Two)

'But to be paddling palms and pinching fingers, / As they now are, and making practised smiles . . .'
    - Leontes (Act One, Scene Two)

'Go play, boy, play: thy mother plays, and I / Play too . . .'

'Sir Smile, his neighbor'

'Satisfy? / Th'entreaties if your mistress? Satisfy?'

Not a quote but Leontes' repetition of 'nothing', and his use of rhetorical questions as he becomes increasingly jealous and paranoid.

'You lie! You lie! / I say thou liest, Camillo, and I hate thee'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Information about The Winter's Tale

Performed as 'Florizel and Perdita' and the 'The Sheep-Shearing', occasionally in three acts, with the first half of the play neglected in favour of the second half
    'broken-backed drama, written in two distinct modes' - Wilbur Sanders
    'the strangeness of the transition [between Sicilia and Bohemia] is felt' - Wilbur Sanders
    Paulina acts as a kind of stage-manager to Hermione's survival, directing both Leontes (not to marry) and the others
    A masque (the dance of the satyrs in Act 4, Scene 4), was also used in another one of Shakespeare's 'late plays', The Tempest

The Winter's Tale - Synopsis

Polixenes is visiting Leontes in Sicilia for the first time in years - 'We were as twinned lambs that did frisk i'th'sun'
    Leontes wants Polixenes to stay longer, but he cannot persuade him - 'My affairs do even drag me homeward'
    However, pregnant Hermione (Leontes' wife) is able to persuade Polixenes to stay
    Leontes becomes convinced that Hermione is having an affair and that the baby is 'the issue of Polixenes' - 'Too hot, too hot!'
    Leontes even begins to wonder if his young son, Mamillius, is his own - 'Mamillius, art thou my boy?'
    Leontes orders his loyal servant, Camillo, to poison Polixenes, which Camillo is reluctant to do - 'Be it forbid, my lord!'
    Leontes becomes increasingly jealous and paranoid, which some critics say is 'notoriously unmotivated' - 'You lie! You lie! I say thou liest, Camillo, and I hate thee!'
    Camillo escapes with Polixenes, having warned him of the plot, which horrifies Polixenes - 'O then my best blood turn to an infected jelly'
    Leontes decides to arrest Hermione when she is with Mamillius in the nursery, telling her a story - 'A sad tale's best for winter'
    Leontes arrests Hermione - ''tis Polixenes has made thee swell thus', but Wilbur Sanders states that Leontes takes 'satisfaction in revulsion' at Hermione's supposed affair
    Antigonus, another lord, is horrified - 'the Queen is spotless i'th'eyes of heaven', but Leontes is unconvinced
    Paulina, Antigonus' wife, visits Hermione in prison but only has a conversation through the jailer and Emilia
    Hermione has given birth to a daughter, whom Paulina believes may persuade Leontes with her 'pure innocence', and thus she takes the child to him, determined to persuade him - 'If I prove honey-mouthed, let my tongue blister'
    Leontes is tormented - 'Nor night, nor day, no rest'
    Paulina enters and is sassy to Leontes, who tells Antigonus to control his wife - 'Canst thou not rule her?'
    Paulina argues her case well, defending the 'Good Queen' and claiming that the baby is a 'copy of the father'
    Paulina calls Leontes a tyrant, which offends him (ref. the trial scene - 'let us be cleared of being tyrannous')
    Paulina chooses her own exit and then Leontes makes Antigonus swear and oath and abandon the 'poor babe' somewhere, who Antigonus pities - 'poor thing, condemned to loss'
    At the trial, Hermione defends herself well - 'I do confess I loved him, as in honour he required'
    Leontes, however, is convinced of her treachery, acting as the judge and juror himself
    The Oracle is read out - 'Hermione is chaste, Polixenes blameless, Camillo a true subject, Leontes a jealous tyrant . . . [and he] shall live without an heir if that which is lost be not found'
    Leontes denies this, and a servant enters to tell them that Mamillius has died - 'The Prince your son, with mere conceit and fear of the Queen's speed, is gone'
    Hermione faints - 'Look down and see what death is doing'
    Hermione is taken away and Leontes is suddenly in shock, even more so when Paulina announces 'the Queen, the Queen, the sweet'st, dear'st creature's dead'
    Leontes is willing to visit their graves every day - 'unto shame perpetual' / 'tears shed there will be my recreation'
    Meanwhile, Antigonus is leaving the baby on the shores of Bohemia, as he believes it is 'the earth of its right father'
    Hermione has come to Antigonus in a dream, telling him to name the baby Perdita
    Antigonus lays the baby down, then is chased by a bear - 'exit, pursued by a bear' / 'I am gone forever'
    A shepherd enters and is distracted from his musings about the loss of his sheep as he sees the 'pretty bairn', beliving it to be some 'stair work', 'trunk work' or 'behind door work'
    The shepherd's son, Clown, enters, and with some confusion, describes the death of Antigonus and the Mariner
    Despite the tragic deaths, the Shepherd concedes ''Tis a lucky day, boy, and we'll do good deeds on't'

Time enters to explain that sixteen years have passed and introduces Florizel and Perdita, 'grown in grace'
    Polixenes and Camillo speak in prose, and Camillo is ken to return home to Sicilia, worrying about the 'penitent king' Leontes, but Polixenes wants him to stay

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2016
TSR Support Team
What were/are your predicted grades?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.