Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

David Cameron says vote to leave is IMMORAL

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by Peroxidation)
    You'd be surprised. Never forget the first basic law of human stupidity: "always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."
    I think it was Churchill who said "The biggest argument against democracy is spending 5 minutes with the average voter" lol

(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    In the UK parliamentary system we elect the legislators whom pass our laws.

In the EU we elect advisors to an advisory body with no legislative powers.

In the UK the Prime Minister, by convention the leader of the governing party, is an elected MP of the House of Commons.

In the EU the commission and the council of Europe are appointed, and hold legislative as well as executive primacy other EU affairs.

Hope that helped.
    I'd lean more to remaining in if the EU myself, if it was a democratic institution, but if I may paraphrase the Americans, no legislation without representation.
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

Though does being part of a sort of political 'conglomerate' kinda stop *****y laws being imposed on us?
    - like for instance the loosening of our human rights which the current government was seeking (as sort of a moral action against those who are protected from further punishment by the legal system, but also reducing our rights more generally).

Just trying to look at the other side of the coin too I suppose. I sort of like the idea that our government is kinda policed in some way, to make positive decisions.
    Not sure how much I trust the government to stand by the good of the people, and not in little ways pushing things which are favorable for them - or just outright lying about things they promise to do of which is part of the basis they are elected on.

I don't know of any detrimental or negative decisions that have been imposed of us from the EU? - only really heard good things.

Name:  truthasdas.png
Views: 19
Size:  82.0 KB

I don't think I really want to be taking my lessons on morality from someone who skull-****ed a dead pig.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.