The Student Room Group

Laptop recommendations for psychology students

Hello,
I'll be starting university in September 2016 and I was wondering what type of laptops would you recommend for a psychology student?
I was thinking of buying a laptop with 8gb memory but some online reviews have said that 4gb would be okay.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Macbook Pro 13" late 2013 (could get for about £600) with 4GB runs OX X perfectly fine and if you really want Windows just use VMWare Fusion 8 (£60) and download the free .iso file for Windows 10 (from the Microsoft) which you can pay to gain a product key but it works perfect fine without it :smile:

You only really need greater than 4 GB if you'll be gaming or doing power heavy tasks, if it is mainly web browsing and Word etc. 4 GB is more than enough.
Reply 2
Original post by FahzB
Hello,
I'll be starting university in September 2016 and I was wondering what type of laptops would you recommend for a psychology student?
I was thinking of buying a laptop with 8gb memory but some online reviews have said that 4gb would be okay.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depends what else you want it for, it won't matter if it's a single subject, you're likely to be using it for films, music, work and games if you're into that.

Obviously the best you can go for is Core i7, 8GB Ram and GTX graphic cards.
If it's just for work I'd recommend either Intel Pentium, Core 2Duo or i3 for processor speed. Ram is the amount a laptop can handle, so it's best to go for maximum (either 6GB or 8GB). Finally hard drive space, usually larger the better so I'd aim for anywhere between 500GB and 1TB.

If you can, scope Ebay for some great deals, just type in what you want and go from there.

Hope this helps :smile:
Something that runs SPSS
Reply 4
4GB is fine. I'm studying psychology at uni myself. Any laptop will do the job, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Like a previous poster said, it would be helpful if it ran SPSS.
I personally WOULD NOT recommend going for 4GB ram. Looking at my computer now, granted im running like 10 chrome tabs, spotify, a reference manager, word, onenote, and multiple pdfs, but im upto 5.6GB already! RAM is so cheap theres no excuses for going for 4GB in my opinion. Paying for RAM you don't use doesn't actually speed up your computer, but its difficult/impossible to upgrade RAM on some laptops so if you plop for a low memory model you may be disappointed.

I'm sure you can get a core i3, 8GB ram laptop for £300. If your going to be taking your laptop to lots of lectures having something thin and light which good battery is usefull... although you'll pay a premium for that. If you're just going to keep your laptop mostly in your room or lug it occasionally to library, its less of an issue.

I'd also reccomend buying a 24inch monitor and keyboard and mouse for some tasks - very useful for making notes on one side of the screen whilst reading pdfs on the other. Also it is more ergonomic then using a laptop - you can pick up a decent monitor for £100, as it doesn't need to have perfect colour reproduction which the higher spec monitors have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
You sure, you need a laptop for psychology ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest