The Student Room Group

Line of best fit

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
6bi?
Am i always supposed to draw a curved line of best fit unless they say so?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ayaz789
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
6bi?
Am i always supposed to draw a curved line of best fit unless they say so?

Are you sure you attached the right paper? There is nowhere in this paper asking for a best fit line...

As a general rule however, the best fit line should be straight if the data looks mostly linear. If there is a curving trend then the best fit line should be curved. If you know the relation between the variables on the chart then that will tell you what shape the best fit line should be.
Reply 2
Original post by natninja
Are you sure you attached the right paper? There is nowhere in this paper asking for a best fit line...

As a general rule however, the best fit line should be straight if the data looks mostly linear. If there is a curving trend then the best fit line should be curved. If you know the relation between the variables on the chart then that will tell you what shape the best fit line should be.

Ive attached the right paper now sorry
Original post by Ayaz789
Ive attached the right paper now sorry

Usually if you know the formula apply the right relation for the best fit line.

For things like resistance and stress/strain etc. like in this example, where it is mostly straight, draw a straight line through the points and then when the trend becomes curved draw a curved best fit. Personally I'd extrapolate the straight line as a dotted line just to illustrate the regime change - but I don't know if that would be clear to an examiner.
Reply 4
Original post by natninja
Usually if you know the formula apply the right relation for the best fit line.

For things like resistance and stress/strain etc. like in this example, where it is mostly straight, draw a straight line through the points and then when the trend becomes curved draw a curved best fit. Personally I'd extrapolate the straight line as a dotted line just to illustrate the regime change - but I don't know if that would be clear to an examiner.

Ahh okay yeah i understand!

Quick Reply

Latest