The Student Room Group

Edexcel iGCSE Physics Paper 1 My unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grace_wh
This has just further reinforced the fact that physics is not for me, I'm doing biology and chemistry at A-level :-)

Too much writing in Biology for me I'm afraid! I also have a terrible relationship with plants so it wouldn't work out very well :/
Chemistry is pretty cool though
Reply 21
It asked for the increase in pressure so you had to subtract 101kpa(atmospheric pressure) from 113kpa which gives 12kpa as the increase
Original post by DankestMeme
I still hope they're around 75% like last years but who knows.

As for that, you should have subtracted the pressure difference from the atmospheric pressure because it said what was the increase, can't remember the exact figure tho

You already calculated the pressure difference (which is the increase) so you didn't need to subtract it
Original post by Sisksksn
It asked for the increase in pressure so you had to subtract 101kpa(atmospheric pressure) from 113kpa which gives 12kpa as the increase

No because the equation above it specifically said pressure DIFFERENCE not just pressure so 113 is the difference
I misread the question and didn't put an X for the sun location, instead drawing a circle. Do you think I'll loose the marks for it? Arghh
Original post by yeknodelttil
I misread the question and didn't put an X for the sun location, instead drawing a circle. Do you think I'll loose the marks for it? Arghh

huh... depends on if they're feeling generous

they'll probably give you the benefit of the doubt though just make sure to rtq next time
Reply 26
HAHHA failed so bad. what energy is released from fission?

apparently its kinetic :frown: i put nuclear LOL
(edited 7 years ago)
What did everyone get for the calliper one? like why were the results different?
Original post by tmg1999
this is wrong. the formula , hpg = PRESSURE DIFFERENCE. It calculates the difference in pressure between two points. Thus your answer is the increase/decrease and any kind of atmospheric pressure malarkey is ignored

No, you did have to subtract i swear cuzz it said from the surface, which means atmospheric pressure. I didnt think subbing numbers into a formula is worth 2 marks ??
For the last question concerning the "TIR" in polar bear's hair (never thought I'd say that) - could you say something about the air being a less dense medium than the hairs "outer bit" and thus TIR couldn't occur.
Original post by DontSweatIt
For the last question concerning the "TIR" in polar bear's hair (never thought I'd say that) - could you say something about the air being a less dense medium than the hairs "outer bit" and thus TIR couldn't occur.

That's exactly what I said. TIR is from dense to less dense and the hair was less dense to dense and there couldn't happen
Reply 31

c) The distance represented between each of the weeks is representative of the speed of the comet, it was faster between week 4-5 than weeks 1-3

I seem to remember its speed increased up to week 4 but decreased slightly between weeks 4 and 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

As for that, you should have subtracted the pressure difference from the atmospheric pressure because it said what was the increase, can't remember the exact figure tho

Wait is this the question before the TOTAL pressure one (1 mark), you don't subtract because the increase is the pressure difference, I thought? The answer was like 110 or something like that because you also had to divide by 1000 for kPa?
Reply 33
Original post by VinuJ
Wait is this the question before the TOTAL pressure one (1 mark), you don't subtract because the increase is the pressure difference, I thought? The answer was like 110 or something like that because you also had to divide by 1000 for kPa?

The pressure difference one was 113kPa and the total pressure would have been 214kPa ( add on 101kPa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question about the orbit of the comet, there was one question you missed out, about why the scientist didn't observe the comet on week six - answer was because it was hidden behind the sun. It was after the mark the sun with an X question.
Reply 35
Did anyone do their answers to (2 s.f) cos i did the earth orbital radius (107000) to 110000 km/h and the diver question (14340) to 14000 kpa is that ok?
Reply 36
Original post by BOBQ
Did anyone do their answers to (2 s.f) cos i did the earth orbital radius (107000) to 110000 km/h and the diver question (14340) to 14000 kpa is that ok?

i wrote the first one down but the second one as 14300kPa because the answers are supposed to up to the number of sf in the qu but ud still probably get the mark for both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37

i think it depends on the triple paper BUT everyone in my school found it hard and our head of physics said it was a hard paper so the boundaries should be the same if not lower than usual i suspect. I mucked up so badly on the polar bear question wasn't it like 15 marks ???
Reply 38
Original post by DontSweatIt

i said that too, it seems logical i hope it'll get marks.
Reply 39
Original post by pk789
i wrote the first one down but the second one as 14300kPa because the answers are supposed to up to the number of sf in the qu but ud still probably get the mark for both

I put 210 for the one that was 214.08 for the increase is that ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending