The Student Room Group

BSc and Masters graduate seeking employment in IT, flexible working possible?

Hi,

I am not far off finishing my masters. I already have a 2.1 in digital forensics and security. I have experience in IT technical support (4 years ago), can program and can learn new skills quickly.

I am in my mid twenties towards the big 30, and also hold a full driving licence.

Since my late teens, I have been through college and university and this is the first proper time where I have thought about a proper job.

Now the thing is that due to my disability which affects my walking, I do get tired very easily, and I do not think I could do 36 hours a week over five days.

Most jobs in IT are full time over 5 days.

25 hours would be do able, as wood a consolidated 5 day week in to 4.

Any day off during the week would be a rest day, and where a business need arises I could temporarily do a 5 day week.

Some organisations advertise for 24/7 Wintel engineers, forensic and security analysts, and work on a shift system.

Is it unlikely that I would be able to land anything with these places, less than full time hours?

- I feel totally useless, and soo unemployable, I'm very outgoing, very passionate about IT and really want to contribute something back to society with all my hard earned efforts and studies.

Does anyone have any advice?
I don't really know what to say. IT is generally 5 day a week, 37.5 - 40 hours a week. That is the way of the world. You could always set up your own business I suppose but getting a part time job is going to be near impossible. Incidentally, if you get fatigued, cramming a 5 day week into 4 is going to kill you. 10 hour days are really really intense.

Good luck!
Reply 2
My new job is 35 hours.
Get an SIA licence and become a CCTV Operator!
I don't know what your disability is, and I don't really want you to go into detail but, you'll find many jobs where you're sitting in front of a computer most of the day and just short walking to and from meetings.

Also many large employers have to accommodate disabilities, if you say you're only able to work 4 days, you may find that's enough for them though obviously this isn't standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending