The Student Room Group

Can your teachers predict you one grade above your AS?

I've just had a really ridiculous time with my AS exams, I don't think I did badly but I definitely didn't get A's in everything and if I did I would be super surprised. I think I got a C in History, and I know this is just rationalising because I could've got higher and I could've got lower. However, I fell like this was my worse one. In my mock I also got a C. However this grade doesn't count towards A2, and the topics we did for this AS will only be worth 50% of the a level when we do them again next year because the other 30% is the Tudors and the other 20% is coursework; so I definitely feel as if I can do so much better next year, if my teacher predicted me a C, would it be completely unreasonable to ask to be predicted a B as its only one grade above my AS which doesn't actually count? Ideally I don't want to predicted any C's
The sad truth is if you got a low C there is little hope for a predicted B by unless your teachers have some strong evidence they can provide to back-up the fact that that exam was just a one off and that you will be more than capable of achieving a B next year. However if you were like a mark or two of a B they can send it back for re-marking in hopes of you gaining those 2 marks somewhere and argue that although you didn't make the grade in their opinion you will be able to do it next year.I'm not an expert on this im just stating what i think will happen.Good luck! :smile:
Original post by ambermariemorgan
I've just had a really ridiculous time with my AS exams, I don't think I did badly but I definitely didn't get A's in everything and if I did I would be super surprised. I think I got a C in History, and I know this is just rationalising because I could've got higher and I could've got lower. However, I fell like this was my worse one. In my mock I also got a C. However this grade doesn't count towards A2, and the topics we did for this AS will only be worth 50% of the a level when we do them again next year because the other 30% is the Tudors and the other 20% is coursework; so I definitely feel as if I can do so much better next year, if my teacher predicted me a C, would it be completely unreasonable to ask to be predicted a B as its only one grade above my AS which doesn't actually count? Ideally I don't want to predicted any C's

Sure they can! I got ABC in my AS and was predicted AAB for UCAS.

HOWEVER... my B was 2UMS off an A and the C was 5UMS off a B (yes, Results Day was both a happy and annoying day for me) so that was likely why. If you get a low C your teacher might not be as willing.

Nevertheless best of luck :smile:
Of course they can predict you a grade higher! How else would they predict people A*s? I got predicted a grade higher than I got in all my AS- that being said, all my grades were very high As and 1 was 1 UMS off an A so it may be different if you got lower into the grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emiloujess
Sure they can! I got ABC in my AS and was predicted AAB for UCAS.

HOWEVER... my B was 2UMS off an A and the C was 5UMS off a B (yes, Results Day was both a happy and annoying day for me) so that was likely why. If you get a low C your teacher might not be as willing.

Nevertheless best of luck :smile:

Thank you, but my AS grades this year don't count at all to my grade next year, as it's now Linear , so even if it's a high or a low C, would the UMS still matter?
Original post by ambermariemorgan
Thank you, but my AS grades this year don't count at all to my grade next year, as it's now Linear , so even if it's a high or a low C, would the UMS still matter?

Perhaps not, but they are a fairly good predictor of how well you'll do (assuming you've revised of course). You'd have to ask your teachers for a definite answer. I don't envy you for having to take the linear course though :frown:
I have the same problem I've seriously messed up! I got 8A*'s and 4A's for gsce but As levels grades should be around DDUC they predicted me AAAA but the stress had got to me ! I know I can retake C1 and c2 next year as well as my spanish exams, which i want to achieve A*'s but will the uni's even look at my application??

Quick Reply

Latest