The Student Room Group

Retaking A-level?

Hello!

If I did good on my AS let's say I got an A, but did bad on the A2 then can I redo only the A2 unit? Vice versa if it's the opposite. Or I have to retake both if I retake?
Also if an exam got 4 papers, and I only did bad on 1 of them can I retake only that one, or if that one is part of A2 then I have to redo both A2 papers?

Regards,
Original post by JustANormalGuy
Hello!

If I did good on my AS let's say I got an A, but did bad on the A2 then can I redo only the A2 unit? Vice versa if it's the opposite. Or I have to retake both if I retake?
Also if an exam got 4 papers, and I only did bad on 1 of them can I retake only that one, or if that one is part of A2 then I have to redo both A2 papers?

Regards,

You can retake any of the units separately, but you'd have to retake the A2 unit(s) the following year, which may then require a gap year. I retook one paper of a four paper A-Level this year because I did fine on the other one I took last year.
Reply 2
Hello!

Which subjects are you doing and are you doing AS for the first time this year?
Original post by Compost
Which subjects are you doing and are you doing AS for the first time this year?

Bussiness, my registration was bad so instead of AS I did AS+A2. And yes my first year. I'm doing exam next year anyways, could I retake bussiness A2 with them? Without a gap year?
Original post by Edminzodo
You can retake any of the units separately, but you'd have to retake the A2 unit(s) the following year, which may then require a gap year. I retook one paper of a four paper A-Level this year because I did fine on the other one I took last year.

So if I retake only AS or only A2 it has to be in a one year period of the other unit? Did that paper was the only paper in it's unit? Like Did that exam had 3 papers for AS and 1 for A2?
So if I retake only AS or only A2 it has to be in a one year period of the other unit? Did that paper was the only paper in it's unit? Like Did that exam had 3 papers for AS and 1 for A2?

It was Economics. I retook Unit 2 from AS. AS has Unit 1 and 2, A2 has Units 3 and 4, which I haven't taken yet. I think you can only do it in a year, but you might be able to retake an AS module in your gap year. I'm not too sure after the A-Level reforms.
Reply 6
Bussiness, my registration was bad so instead of AS I did AS+A2. And yes my first year. I'm doing exam next year anyways, could I retake bussiness A2 with them? Without a gap year?

You can re-sit one or both of the A2 Business units next year if you want.
Original post by Compost
You can re-sit one or both of the A2 Business units next year if you want.

Business got only 1 paper for A2.

Original post by Edminzodo
It was Economics. I retook Unit 2 from AS. AS has Unit 1 and 2, A2 has Units 3 and 4, which I haven't taken yet. I think you can only do it in a year, but you might be able to retake an AS module in your gap year. I'm not too sure after the A-Level reforms.

Oh, I thought if i re sit a unit then I have to re sit the whole AS OR A2. thanks. Will there be any place I can check my marks for each unit? Because last year for the IGCSE I only got a grade. I didn't have %, marks nothing. Not to mention the marks given for each unit... -It was on cie.myresults
Reply 8
Business got only 1 paper for A2.

? Not for domestic exam boards. Are you taking CIE?

Oh, I thought if i re sit a unit then I have to re sit the whole AS OR A2. thanks. Will there be any place I can check my marks for each unit? Because last year for the IGCSE I only got a grade. I didn't have %, marks nothing. Not to mention the marks given for each unit... -It was on cie.myresults

If you want advice on here you have to be specific that you are asking about CIE. It has different rules to the other exam boards and since it's not widely used in England people don't tend to know them.
Original post by Compost
If you want advice on here you have to be specific that you are asking about CIE. It has different rules to the other exam boards and since it's not widely used in England people don't tend to know them.

Oh, I see... may I ask why isn't it used?... because i'm in an international school and I don't have any option to choose... I would like to do edexcel, it's way easier.. and more simple than CIE... -I'm not just talking random stuff, I checked edexcel papers and compared them to my IGCSE/AS levels..
Oh, I see... may I ask why isn't it used?... because i'm in an international school and I don't have any option to choose... I would like to do edexcel, it's way easier.. and more simple than CIE... -I'm not just talking random stuff, I checked edexcel papers and compared them to my IGCSE/AS levels..

THis is quite complicated, so I'll give you the basics though it doesn't tell the whole story. CIE is the international branch of Cambridge Assessment - the English equivalent is OCR so whilst most English schools OCR for some subjects, CIE is used only for occasional exams.

The five domestic exam boards for A levels and GCSEs in the UK (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC) all have to comply with Government rules on content and all join together to have common regulations (e.g. about what you need to achieve an A*). CIE isn't bound by any of this so has variations that the majority of British students have no idea about. As Edexcel uses (almost) the same exams both nationally and internationally their international formats stick to UK rules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
CIE is the international branch of Cambridge Assessment - the English equivalent is OCR so whilst most English schools OCR for some subjects, CIE is used only for occasional exams.

The five domestic exam boards for A levels and GCSEs in the UK (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC) all have to comply with Government rules on content and all join together to have common regulations (e.g. about what you need to achieve an A*). CIE isn't bound by any of this so has variations that the majority of British students have no idea about.

Oh, I see, not it makes much more sense thank you. A last question if you know the answer. If I would apply to a british university, would I be at a disadvantage by doing CIE?
Oh, I see, not it makes much more sense thank you. A last question if you know the answer. If I would apply to a british university, would I be at a disadvantage by doing CIE?

Not at all. They are perfectly valid A levels. I imagine all English universities are aware of CIE - it's part of Cambridge Assessment which was formed from exam boards originally set up by Oxford and Cambridge universities so is totally legitimate and a world-wide brand,
Original post by Compost
Not at all. They are perfectly valid A levels. I imagine all English universities are aware of CIE - it's part of Cambridge Assessment which was formed from exam boards originally set up by Oxford and Cambridge universities so is totally legitimate and a world-wide brand,

Thank you. Though I feel like it is a bit harder than the other boards. I did check other exam boards papers from the subjects I took and compared it, so yeah..

Quick Reply

Latest