The Student Room Group

Parents wont let me move out.. what excuse shall i use?

Ok to start of, im a 19 y/o female who comes from an asian family where my parents are reasonably strict but only to an extent. Both of my sisters have gone to uni but lived at home; a go-to excuse my mum uses whenever i bring up the topic of moving out for uni

QUESTION REPOSTED- most of the damn question didnt post:closedeyes:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by microwsoft
Ok to start of, im a 19 y/o female who comes from an asian family where my parents are reasonably strict but only to an extent. Both of my sisters have gone to uni but lived at home; a go-to excuse my mum uses whenever i bring up the topic of moving out for uni

If you're old enough to move out then you shouldn't need an excuse.
"I'm moving out for Uni, bye!"
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
"I'm moving out for Uni, bye!"

if only it were that easy haha they probably wouldnt speak to me again or at least for a long while :/
the rest of the question didnt post for some reason so i've reposted
You don't need an excuse. I take it they aren't keeping you physically chained in the house.

done reading.
Tell them you've got full blown aids.
Reply 7
Original post by 0to100
done reading.

hahaa its a curse most of the time *sigh*
Original post by 0to100
done reading.

Have a good day tomorow :wink: Sweet dreams! Get some rest :smile: & Live everyday like it's your last! Bye Bye :h: :heart:
if only it were that easy haha they probably wouldnt speak to me again or at least for a long while :/
the rest of the question didnt post for some reason so i've reposted

Is there any specific reason why they wouldn't want you to move out? I would just say to them that the Uni at which you want to study is far enough away that travel time would likely affect your studies and you want to make them proud and do the best you can without having to deal with that
Reply 10
if only it were that easy

It is, tens of thousands of people manage it every week.

they probably wouldnt speak to me again or at least for a long while :/

Good riddance then.
Reply 11
Original post by Reue
It is, tens of thousands of people manage it every week.

Good riddance then.

hmm i guess im just going to have to be brave otherwise how should i expect to get anywhere with this :/ i just want as little anger/ confrontation as possible bec they are my parents and i still care for them but its my life :/ :/

QUESTION REPOSTED- most of the damn question didnt post:closedeyes:

Even though you're older than me as soon as you said Asian family i understand how you feel. How far is your university? if its in a different city then you should be able to move. Just say to them that you struggle concentrating at home and by living closer to uni it will allow you to go on time and access information quickly. Plus give them an offer they can't refuse such as if they let you move you will come home every other weekend or you will always call them or something to give them some sort of satisfaction. I know when eventually i go to uni my mum will try to force me to go a uni closer to home so i'd commute and i do not want to do that regardless of the cost as it will probably be my only chance of freedom.
You don't really need an excuse - It's not their choice and you'll be the one paying the tuition fee back one day.
Just say the uni you want to go to is way better than the ones close to home (show some stats etc)

My parents only respected my decision to put a uni far from home as my firm because of its reputation :redface:
hmm i guess im just going to have to be brave otherwise how should i expect to get anywhere with this :/ i just want as little anger/ confrontation as possible bec they are my parents and i still care for them but its my life :/ :/

Yes you care for them, but in my mind a decent parent should respect their adult childs right to make an informed decision and if they dont that their issue not yours.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Have a good day tomorow :wink: Sweet dreams! Get some rest :smile: & Live everyday like it's your last! Bye Bye :h: :heart:

I'll try but I just got a stupid ****in grade and went off on my profssor
**** life.
Reply 17
Original post by retro_turtles
Plus give them an offer they can't refuse such as if they let you move you will come home every other weekend or you will always call them or something to give them some sort of satisfaction

Terrible advice. All you're doing then is letting them continue to have their unreasonable control.

Better to let them know you're an adult, will be making your own decisions and they have to accept it.
Reply 18
I don't think it's as easy as some people have made out. Obviously you're an adult and you can make your own choices, but of course you still care about your parents and don't want to upset them.

If I were you, I'd build my reasoning around the course and the university. Explain to them why that university is better for you and what the course offers and how you think this will give you a better chance in the future. By the sounds of things, they're protective so will be upset and maybe they're worried that if you're living at university you'll be partying and taking drugs or something.

Hopefully they will come round, especially if you can show them passion and excitement about your university.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
just apply for the unis anyways

Quick Reply