The Student Room Group

I think my wisdom tooth is coming through - is it meant to hurt?

I know this is probably a really simple question but it's my first wisdom tooth.
I've had a toothache since yesterday and I've just touched where it was and it feels like there is something under the gum right at the back where it is so painful. Is it normal for a wisdom tooth to hurt at this stage or are they meant to erupt painlessly?

Reply 1
Original post by simi89
I know this is probably a really simple question but it's my first wisdom tooth.
I've had a toothache since yesterday and I've just touched where it was and it feels like there is something under the gum right at the back where it is so painful. Is it normal for a wisdom tooth to hurt at this stage or are they meant to erupt painlessly?

They usually hurt like a b word. I suggest you stock up on painkillers and make an appointment with your dentist. Dentist will be able to check it's coming through okay and won't need any intervention. It's quite common for wisdom teeth to grow out so squely or painfully they need to be removed.
Painkillers and softer foods will help with the pain. You may want to ask a pharmacist or dentist what painkillers they suggest. Paracetamol isn't always enough so you may want something stronger on hand (like cocodamol) incase you need it. If painkillers are not helping the pain deffinately see a dentist and sooner rather than later as the pain can get worse quickly.

If you are in loads of pain but your dentist isn't open call nhs 111 or dental advice line and they should be able to tell you where the nearest emergency dentist is. Hopefully you won't have any complications though :smile:
Reply 2
Sometimes they hurt like hell I heard
Reply 3
I've only had one of my wisdom teeth grow out and before it erupted, I had a sore patch on my gum and it was tender to touch but didn't feel any different from any other part of my gum. It felt like an ulcer. I was convinced it was an ulcer so just left it and after a week I still had the pain so had a look in my mouth and saw the tooth starting to emerge through the gum but it was still flat and the point of the tooth hadn't came out yet. Once it started to fully erupt, the pain was more like a toothache than a stingy ulcer like pain and I got bad jaw pain as well.
Reply 4
Thanks so much for your replies! 😊
Reply 5
kills second only to childbirth, or so i heard?

Quick Reply