The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought the paper was really good unlike unifying concepts :'(
Reply 2
comparatively unifying concepts was a disaster.
Reply 3
This was much harder than unifing concepts..i thought unifying concepts was easy peasy!
Reply 4
what did everyone write for the nmr question?
Reply 5
the long mark one?
Reply 6
yes
Reply 7
i worte about the n+ 1 rule and that it bascially identifys protons on the adjacent carbon. i thought unifyin concepts was a disater i've already lost about 15 marks and i hav to get an A overall.:frown:
Reply 8
wrote about spin splitting,chemical shift values ,area +no. of peaks. thought it was ok,hopefully scraped a B. however think i could have literally failed unifying concepts.
Reply 9
I wrote about

Chemical Shift
Number of peaks(environments)
Area of peaks
Spin spin coupling (n+1 rule etc)
Use of D2O in OH group
Reply 10
Yeah thats what i put really. I thought it was a good paper nothing challanging really. Nearly missed the question on the back though. I'm aiming for high marks hopefully.
Reply 11
What did everyone put for the one about making an azo dye for 5 marks. I didn't know whether to put in diagrams or not cause there was like no space!
Reply 12
I just did it for a general aromatic amine
Reply 13
I put you react phenylamine with hno2 and hcl (conc) below 10 degrees and then react the product with phenol and excess naoh to make the dye. gave the equations and said to make hno2 in situ from nano2 + hcl --> hno2 + nacl. then drew diagrams. anyone remember the last 3 mark question - what order they put the letters in?
eyanian
anyone remember the last 3 mark question - what order they put the letters in?

I don't remember the sequence exactly but I started with S and ended with T. I originally had them the other way round but I realised that T had a greater peak area so I switched them round. I thought it was better than the unifying paper - that was horrible!
Reply 15
londonkid89
I don't remember the sequence exactly but I started with S and ended with T. I originally had them the other way round but I realised that T had a greater peak area so I switched them round. I thought it was better than the unifying paper - that was horrible!

same i had s q p r t unifying paper was bad but a lot of others found it hard too. organic i though was great (apart from last q!)
Reply 16
What did you lot all put for first question whether it was a primary amine? Also for the question about the new drug, what organic products do you get after acid hydrolysis? I assumed that it was the ester bond that broke.
Reply 17
you get a carboxylic acid and alcohol. for the very first question its an amine because it has the amine functional group.
Piggy
What did you lot all put for first question whether it was a primary amine? Also for the question about the new drug, what organic products do you get after acid hydrolysis? I assumed that it was the ester bond that broke.

Hmm, don't remember what I did for the primary amine, but I did a similar thing to you. What did anyone get for the mass of that compound, which name escapes me, required for a weekly dosage. I got 2.7g - something like that.
Reply 19
i got 7.8g but i'm probably wrong.

Latest