The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Formally: Cambridge have a few studies that show that AS and A-Level performance have very bad correlation for the mathematics degree there, even GCSE performance has a better correlation. STEP performance however, has the highest correlation for any subject ever. Something like ~50%.

Common sense: would you rather distinguish candidates based on a test that consists of sitting down, writing some crap that demonstrates no understanding whatsoever of mathematics and get an easy A* that literally half the candidature get and literally 99% of the maths applicants will be getting A*A*A - A*A*A* effortlessly or a test with which only 160 of your offer holders can get a decent grade and filters the candidature to an reasonably modest level by not only being an extremely difficult test aimed at the top 2% of the a-level mathematicians, that requires actual thought, creativity and mathematical ingenuity but also by allowing admissions tutors to view the actual scripts of the candidates to see their thought process.

tl;dr an idiot could get an A*A* in maths and further maths, STEP requires actual talent. Cambridge wants actual talent, not idiots.

PRSOM

Original post by a_bc
is it just me or does this sound slightly arrogant

Truth is sometimes arrogant, you are right.
Original post by pq
i'm safe on two counts

i couldn't get a*a* in maths and further maths (behold my mighty c grade in maths :p: ) and i'm not a lad
great banter :smile:
Original post by Jitesh
are you aiming for all A*s?

No, I know I've got at least two A*'s and an A, potentially an A*. But I don't really care about my A-Level grades at this point...
Original post by Don Joiner
3 hours 20 minutes until grade boundaries guys 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exam board?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Physics lover here myself, sorry to here about your exam I really hope you score the grade you want and the boundaries are nice to you!
Thanks for your advice
What do you plan on studying?

Physics was the love of my life and then Alevels happened
I havent completely decided yet but I may do chemical, geological or mechanical engineering
What are ur plans?
Who wants to throw up? :puke:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

yep. And i've only just remembered about grade boundaries tomorrow. I don't think I can bring myself to look.

me

Me.
Reply 5749

Me for sure, I feel so nervous!
Original post by amymcm11
yep. And i've only just remembered about grade boundaries tomorrow. I don't think I can bring myself to look.

Then don't
IM NOT GOING TO CHECK GRADE BOUNDARIES bYE KMS :-)))))
Talking about results day with my Dad today and he told me how proud he would be if I got in to Southampton (because he went there). No pressure... :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by amymcm11

I don't even remember anything so even if I look it probably won't have too much of an affect on me.
grabs and rocks my desk

iIIIiiII want the AQa Grade boundARriesSS at MIDNIGHTTT wHYYY AQA
Good luck everyone 😊
Original post by Matt.avf98
Talking about results day with my Dad today and he told me how proud he would be if I got in to Southampton (because he went there). No pressure... :s-smilie::s-smilie:

yiKES GOOD LUCK THOUGH !! IM SURE YOU'LL DO FINE
it's not even a matter of "staying up", I sleep around 4/5am these days so I'll be part of my "day" in a way.
if I get into uni idek how I'm going to get my sleep back on track:colonhash:
Reply 5758
Original post by lawlieto
5 hours 5 hours 5 hours although I'm not actually worried about maths grade boundaries so I'm not sure why I'm excited. :biggrin:
I'm more worried about OCR Chemistry.

What do you reckon the chemistry boundaries will be this year? Given the new course and breadth/depth style
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
me

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Me.

Original post by NHM
Me for sure, I feel so nervous!

Wanna share a bucket? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest