The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
convinced myself i've got an A* in one of my subjects after going through the mark scheme and grade boundaries so gonna be a tad shocked if i dont see it tomorrow arghh ... anyone else feel like this

Yes
I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. Maybe a good whack on the head? XD
Original post by Aph
Out of interest do you know why UCAS give our grades to unis we rejected and that rejected us?
Also would a clearing uni reject us based on original choices?

Because UCAS systems are old and that's the way it has always been done. It's useful for equality monitoring purposes.

Universities don't hold grudges or give a **** where you previously applied. There might be concern if you've changed your mind dramatically but in that case offering a PS for the new subject (or even speaking about it well on the phone) will usually allay those concerns.
Hi PQ

Do unis usually offer adjustment for medicine course? Eg : If I exceed my offer and have the grades needed for medicine, could I apply there through adjustment?
Original post by target21859
I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. Maybe a good whack on the head? XD

Went to the big Pets at Home near me today, now I'm regretting not looking to see if they sell any powerful tranquilizer. Why can't time just go quicker?!
I got an email from the head of sixth form telling me that I've got to attend a meeting to talk about how to progress into Year 13. I only do two a levels and BTEC business and I'm proper scared thinking that I've already failed economics.
Original post by hudamh
I got a call to come in early for results and to take photos. Do they have our results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dnkz7
I got an email from the head of sixth form telling me that I've got to attend a meeting to talk about how to progress into Year 13. I only do two a levels and BTEC business and I'm proper scared thinking that I've already failed economics.

RIP. My condolences.
Original post by NHM
Hi, scroll through the thread to find markschemes and reports. I resat this exam, grade boundaries are looking pretty decent!

oh ok are you getting your AS or A2 results ?
Original post by ToastiestZombie
Went to the big Pets at Home near me today, now I'm regretting not looking to see if they sell any powerful tranquilizer. Why can't time just go quicker?!

These 14 hours are going to go so slowly then as soon as track goes live the time will go as fast as the speed of light! :wink:
Reply 7049
Guys is there AS mark schemes for subjects other than Maths?Thanks.
If we exceed our grades (which I won't) and adjustment is available...does clicking the button for adjustment mean we can't take our firm? Like it rejects it in some way? Or does it just mean we can see the unis available for adjustment but can ultimately choose to stay with our firm?
Reply 7051
Original post by PQ
Because UCAS systems are old and that's the way it has always been done. It's useful for equality monitoring purposes.

Universities don't hold grudges or give a **** where you previously applied. There might be concern if you've changed your mind dramatically but in that case offering a PS for the new subject (or even speaking about it well on the phone) will usually allay those concerns.

Equality monitoring?

Okay :smile:
Original post by popo111
Hi PQ

Do unis usually offer adjustment for medicine course? Eg : If I exceed my offer and have the grades needed for medicine, could I apply there through adjustment?

There are clearing places for medicine - they're not usually advertised (http://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/clearing is the exception).

The places are usually filled up from waiting lists/reserve lists of applicants who applied and where interviewed but didn't get an offer (but were near the top of the shortlist for offers) AND who also didn't get an offer from any of their other medicine choices. The people on those shortlists will usually have been notified before results day.

It's not unknown for applicants to get into medicine through clearing at a university that they didn't initially apply to (a number of years ago someone from TSR went to a clearing open day fro Dundee because they wanted to apply for medicine the following year - they had their grades, mentioned it at the open day and they were able to make them an offer for medicine that year) it is extremely unusual though.
Original post by smegsxo
If we exceed our grades (which I won't) and adjustment is available...does clicking the button for adjustment mean we can't take our firm? Like it rejects it in some way? Or does it just mean we can see the unis available for adjustment but can ultimately choose to stay with our firm?

No. The point of adjustment is you look for better courses without rejecting your firm. It's clearing where you have to reject a firm and insurance choice. Smh has no one researched
Original post by lucabrasi98
No. The point of adjustment is you look for better courses without rejecting your firm. It's clearing where you have to reject a firm and insurance choice. Smh has no one researched

There's no need to be rude about it, it was just a question.

Waiting for a phone call asking you to come in for an interview like
image.jpg
Kill me now....
Original post by popo111
Hi PQ

I think so- friend went from Keele to Cardiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smegsxo

Every year hundreds of applicants click the BIG RED BUTTON on track by "mistake" (lack of self control!).
If you don't phone any universities about adjustment or you don't accept any offers over the phone for adjustment then nothing will change on your application - you stay with your firm.

Original post by Aph
Equality monitoring?

Okay :smile:

Like "in 2015 we made offers to x% of white students and y% of BME students on the basis of their predictions, z% of white students then achieved our standard offer and s% of BME students" - to spot any underlying bias in admissions decisions or just where admissions processes are leading to applicants being rejected (or put off accepting offers) by the admissions process - so in that example it could be that BME students are more likely to have lower predictions and so a university will amend their policy to make aspirational offers above predictions to applicants. It could look at race, gender, experience of care, disability blah blah - anything that could be causing bias in the system.
Original post by PQ
Every year hundreds of applicants click the BIG RED BUTTON on track by "mistake" (lack of self control!).
If you don't phone any universities about adjustment or you don't accept any offers over the phone for adjustment then nothing will change on your application - you stay with your firm.

Like "in 2015 we made offers to x% of white students and y% of BME students on the basis of their predictions, z% of white students then achieved our standard offer and s% of BME students" - to spot any underlying bias in admissions decisions or just where admissions processes are leading to applicants being rejected (or put off accepting offers) by the admissions process - so in that example it could be that BME students are more likely to have lower predictions and so a university will amend their policy to make aspirational offers above predictions to applicants. It could look at race, gender, experience of care, disability blah blah - anything that could be causing bias in the system.

You are of great help.

Quick Reply

Latest