The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyPilot
That's dedication for you - hope it works out for you! I still don't think it would have worked for me - too much like hard work lol. I got an A in my psychology A level. What are you planning on doing at uni?

Ah congrats on your A ; I'm hoping for an A* lol fingers crossed, and I'm planning on doing maths at uni but I might change to psychology if I hate maths at degree level which I worry I will ahh !
Original post by Anonymous_18
Why is everyone on here talking about being scared of results day. Yes, it's scary but there's 3 and a bit weeks left so just enjoy them and worry a day or something before. No point getting worked up now, you can't do anything..what's done is done and everything happens for the best. I got crap GCSEs but moved schools and got AAAA last year, so don't fret 😊 as long as everyone tried their best, that's what matters

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh but everyone really wants to get into uni and the thought of having to change your path and go somewhere else through clearing worries a lot of people ( including myself ) and even if you did get AAAA like yourself last year it doesn't guarantee amazing grades at A2 either cause obviously A2 is quite a bit harder in my onipino anyways
Why is everyone on here talking about being scared of results day. Yes, it's scary but there's 3 and a bit weeks left so just enjoy them and worry a day or something before. No point getting worked up now, you can't do anything..what's done is done and everything happens for the best. I got crap GCSEs but moved schools and got AAAA last year, so don't fret 😊 as long as everyone tried their best, that's what matters

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kinda see your point... but our futures are literally at stake here. AS may have gone really well for you, but that certainly doesn't guarantee the same results again this year (though hopefully that won't be the case!). The outcome of results day will have a massive impact on our lives - not just the three or so years at university - so it's natural to be stressed about it; there's a lot more at stake than any results day previously.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I kinda see your point... but our futures are literally at stake here. AS may have gone really well for you, but that certainly doesn't guarantee the same results again this year (though hopefully that won't be the case!). The outcome of results day will have a massive impact on our lives - not just the three or so years at university - so it's natural to be stressed about it; there's a lot more at stake than any results day previously.

Yh like these determine a lot of people's career prospects which will influence the rest of their lives so idk it's pretty damn important
Original post by fefssdf
Yh like these determine a lot of people's career prospects which will influence the rest of their lives so idk it's pretty damn important

naaaaaah

Don't buy into the hype about A level results and university choice determining your career prospects. In 5 years time noone will give a **** what your A level grades where. In 10 years you won't even include them on your CV. In 10 years your degree will be 1 line on your CV...your working life will last 40 years, A levels are of very little importance long term (and even the things they influence short term aren't set in stone).

It can make a short term difference - or mean a change in direction - but your career is a marathon not a sprint, sometimes a diversion onto a different path (due to unexpected results, a chance conversation about an option you had never considered, a speculative application to something that sounds interesting outside your field etc etc) is the best thing that every happens (no matter how scary and upsetting it might feel at the time).
23 days to go; More than enough time to take a moment and not think about how your life hangs in the balance over the next few weeks and have a look at my fantastic short 8 question survey. Escape from the fear of impending failure and tell me your views on the importance of work experience today.

https://goo.gl/forms/C56e579WlxQJQiQA2

Cheers and Good Luck on Results Day, take comfort in the fact that McDonalds are always hiring :biggrin:
Reply 1286

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got AAAA last year, which okay puts me in a good position because I now only need mid Bs to make my AAA offer. But I screwed up one of my exams. And okay, I did well on the coursework, but with how badly I think I did on the exam (worth 60% of A2) it's likely not enough. On top of that, the uni (UCL) has it on their website that they didn't accept any near misses in the 2014 cycle or something and its very unlikely I'll get accepted if I miss my offer. Sure, I like my insurance, and I've kind of accepted I'm probably going there (offer is ABB which I'm confident I'll meet, so there's that at least), but it kind of sucks not knowing especially as I'd obviously rather be at UCL
Original post by econymous
23 days to go; More than enough time to take a moment and not think about how your life hangs in the balance over the next few weeks and have a look at my fantastic short 8 question survey. Escape from the fear of impending failure and tell me your views on the importance of work experience today.

Cheers and Good Luck on Results Day, take comfort in the fact that McDonalds are always hiring :biggrin:

You are posting in an A-level results day thread, yet 'A-level' is not one of the choices for 'education stage'?
Original post by marioman
You are posting in an A-level results day thread, yet 'A-level' is not one of the choices for 'education stage'?

I know my apologies - use 'other', for some reason google deleted A Level a while back and now its kinda too late to change
Wish this would hurry up tbh, whatever happens im tired of waiting :redface:

yh well at least I have a part time job meaning I won't have to resort to mc donalds lol and i did you survey hah :biggrin:
Original post by Salamandastron
Wish this would hurry up tbh, whatever happens im tired of waiting :redface:

yh its driving me mad how it is still over 3 weeks to go and it isn't even august yet :/
Escape from the fear of impending failure

I really hope it isn't that bad dude but thanks for being so blunt
Original post by fefssdf
yh well at least I have a part time job meaning I won't have to resort to mc donalds lol and i did you survey hah :biggrin:

Cheers mate haha
Original post by PQ
naaaaaah

Don't buy into the hype about A level results and university choice determining your career prospects. In 5 years time noone will give a **** what your A level grades where. In 10 years you won't even include them on your CV. In 10 years your degree will be 1 line on your CV...your working life will last 40 years, A levels are of very little importance long term (and even the things they influence short term aren't set in stone).

It can make a short term difference - or mean a change in direction - but your career is a marathon not a sprint, sometimes a diversion onto a different path (due to unexpected results, a chance conversation about an option you had never considered, a speculative application to something that sounds interesting outside your field etc etc) is the best thing that every happens (no matter how scary and upsetting it might feel at the time).

I don't agree with this statement. For example, as a medicine applicant, A level results are so important to me as it'll be so difficult to get into medicine if I don't get in at undergraduate level. So yes, university and A levels are very important towards my career prospects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
I don't agree with this statement. For example, as a medicine applicant, A level results are so important to me as it'll be so difficult to get into medicine if I don't get in at undergraduate level. So yes, university and A levels are very important towards my career prospects

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly I mean and if you retake stuff then your chances of doing medicine become quite slim and its the same for a lot of subjects like if you wanna go to the top top unis then you're gonna be disadvantaged if you retake A-levels
Original post by Sacred Ground
I don't agree with this statement. For example, as a medicine applicant, A level results are so important to me as it'll be so difficult to get into medicine if I don't get in at undergraduate level. So yes, university and A levels are very important towards my career prospectsPosted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
naaaaaah

If you're wedded to a specific career to cover the next 40+ years of your life then doing worse than hoped can upset your plans - it doesn't mean you're doomed to an un-satisfactory working life or a miserable career that you hate. It means you have to rethink your plans or find another path to the career you're aiming for. Given the current changes and working environment in the NHS (and the fact that for the first time this year a med school is openly advertising places in clearing) I wouldn't be surprised if lower than expected results in August isn't a blessing in disguise for many medicine applicants or just a small stumbling block for others.
Original post by PQ
...for the first time this year a med school is openly advertising places in clearing...

Which one?
Thanks - my A grade was very close to the A* but it was good enough lol - got the A* elsewhere (sociology) and three other A grades so can't complain! You're brave doing maths - I run screaming from that subject as fast as possible :biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf
Ah congrats on your A ; I'm hoping for an A* lol fingers crossed, and I'm planning on doing maths at uni but I might change to psychology if I hate maths at degree level which I worry I will ahh !

Quick Reply

Latest