The Student Room Group

Aqa AS English Lit 26th may 2016 Aspects of tragedy paper 2

How are villains seen as causing physical harm
-villains use physical beauty
-Isabella's brothers caused physical harm as they killed Lorenzo and they also killed Isabella by doing that
- la belle- title of the poem shows she will cause harm
- Uses of body parts to describe knight show physical harm and same with Isabella (used quotes
- Talked about rhyme scheme and how it affects poem
- Talked about extract and picked out quotes

Gatsby- how does his obsession with Daisy cause his tragic isolation
-obsession is his tragic flaw so it is going to cause his downfall in terms of tragedy
- his obsession with time and wanting daisy to be how he was 5 years ago
- He risks himself for love as he thinks by doing that she will love him
- People could say that Tom or George caused his downfall but his obsession with daisy caused him to say he was driving and caused him to die
- He got into bootlegging to try and get into a better class and got punished for it as Fitzgerald shows that the American Dream is unattainable as even when you've made it you're never completely happy
I think it went terribly also can you retake it next year? Could you have a guess at what mark I've got? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Conceited
That was gruesome. They were so sneaky with the Gatsby question :bird:, I answered it initially as a 'tragic downfall' question but then managed to salvage it when I realized it was 'tragic isolation'.

The Keats question was good though.

That sounds good I feel the wording of the questions were terrible I hope the grade bounaries are low but I doubt it
The Keats question I ended up having to save myself from just discussing cruelty, and tried to mention physical. I said that in La Belle, because the reader isn't aware of the situation that the knight is in: alive or dead. Then we cannot conclude as to whether or not she has been physically cruel. I made a slight reference to Lamia also.
In TGG I also made the point that Gatsby would always be isolated because of the prejudiced views against him and the new money. I said that his isolation is physically shown by how He is in East Egg, whilst Daisy and Tom are separated from him in West Egg. I also linked this to the green light in that his obsession with reliving the past to make his ideal 'origastic future' contributed towards his isolation :smile:
Original post by Danimillie
The Keats question I ended up having to save myself from just discussing cruelty, and tried to mention physical. I said that in La Belle, because the reader isn't aware of the situation that the knight is in: alive or dead. Then we cannot conclude as to whether or not she has been physically cruel. I made a slight reference to Lamia also.
In TGG I also made the point that Gatsby would always be isolated because of the prejudiced views against him and the new money. I said that his isolation is physically shown by how He is in East Egg, whilst Daisy and Tom are separated from him in West Egg. I also linked this to the green light in that his obsession with reliving the past to make his ideal 'origastic future' contributed towards his isolation :smile:

Thats exactly what i wrote but confused with the keats question 👎🏻
Reply 4
Did you do the Lit A or B? if A then what were the questions, I can remember some of it, but it's abit vague
i did lit B it was a question on Hardy's poems and Tess of the d'urbevilles i think i did so terribly :'( damn if only had more time and better questions :frown: i am so worries im going to fail
do you guys think the grade boundaries are going to be low? i hope they are :{ can someone predict what the grade boundaries could be?
Reply 7
Original post by emerald17
do you guys think the grade boundaries are going to be low? i hope they are :{ can someone predict what the grade boundaries could be?

I really hope they're gonna be low but I don't know what they are sorry
Original post by Chloeexoxo
I really hope they're gonna be low but I don't know what they are sorry

its okay ahh ty :smile: i hope so too!
How many tragic words did you all use?
For the Othello extract question, what act and scene was the extract from?

Quick Reply