The Student Room Group

Brexit and its consequences: Questions from an immigrant

Hey everyone,

So I'm new to the student room, and one reason that pushed me to getting an account was my fears towards a potential Brexit. I am Polish immigrant who has lived in the UK for the past 10 years, and I was wandering if anyone on here knows enough to help answer my questions, or at least help quell my worries.

So I am under 18, and thus illegible to apply for UK citizenship. My (also Polish) mother is married to an English guy, and also lacks UK citizenship herself. My father (you guessed it, Polish as well, no UK citizenship) has emigrated back to Poland a few years back. So my questions are:

Is there any way I can somehow attain UK citizenship in my current situation?

What will be the most likely consequences to me and my family if Britain leaves? Will I have to obtain a visa? Will I be unable to return here if I go on holiday to Poland?

What will happen to the fees I will be paying for university? Will I still be able to apply for student finance? Since I'm making my applications this summer, this is very important to me.

I understand that many people won't have the answers I seek, and many people are busy so won't have time to sit down and help me out. But I'm just putting these questions out there, and maybe this can help other people in similar situations as well. Thanks a lot!
Call the Citizenship and nationality enquiries on 0300 123 2253.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi/british-citizenship-and-nationality

They'll be able to give you far more advice/information than anyone on TSR.

I don't think there'll any effect if the UK leaves.
Reply 2
Ahhh, thanks a lot! I'll definitely give them a call. This whole referendum has just been stressing me out :frown:
Original post by Novapowered
Hey everyone,

So I'm new to the student room, and one reason that pushed me to getting an account was my fears towards a potential Brexit. I am Polish immigrant who has lived in the UK for the past 10 years, and I was wandering if anyone on here knows enough to help answer my questions, or at least help quell my worries.

So I am under 18, and thus illegible to apply for UK citizenship. My (also Polish) mother is married to an English guy, and also lacks UK citizenship herself. My father (you guessed it, Polish as well, no UK citizenship) has emigrated back to Poland a few years back. So my questions are:

Is there any way I can somehow attain UK citizenship in my current situation?

What will be the most likely consequences to me and my family if Britain leaves? Will I have to obtain a visa? Will I be unable to return here if I go on holiday to Poland?

What will happen to the fees I will be paying for university? Will I still be able to apply for student finance? Since I'm making my applications this summer, this is very important to me.

I understand that many people won't have the answers I seek, and many people are busy so won't have time to sit down and help me out. But I'm just putting these questions out there, and maybe this can help other people in similar situations as well. Thanks a lot!

Poland is awesome mate
Reply 4
It's pretty good yeah XD Shame it's bureaucracy is a pile of ****
Reply 5
Yeah, that's not an option. My entire life is firmly set here.

Quick Reply

Latest