The Student Room Group

Medicine

To be able to study medicine at university...are the A-level subjects, Maths, Physics and Chemistry enough to enter a medical school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jainita
To be able to study medicine at university...are the A-level subjects, Maths, Physics and Chemistry enough to enter a medical school?

That should be fine as most medical uni's only require chem. However! Please do check before you apply to each uni as some may require biology.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! Right now I'm doing AS Level and I am doing biology so do you think it will be fine if I just use AS level results for biology and drop it next year?
Original post by Jainita
Thank you so much! Right now I'm doing AS Level and I am doing biology so do you think it will be fine if I just use AS level results for biology and drop it next year?

It really depends on the uni as some require you to take it further on. I would look it up on their websites
Original post by saeed9722

Exactly, we do in 3 years what you do in 6. Just too good mate. Dont be jel.

Bruh. All you need is an internet connection and you could learn engineering at home.

You can't do any medical dissections or go round wards unless you go medical school.

P.S. Doctors get paid more... :colone:
I think it would be really hard for you to study medicine with no strong foundation in biology. Biology is basically the basis of medicine.
Original post by Jainita

the usual requirements are chemistry at A2 level, but some medical school require biology at A2, if not they at least require it to AS usually at grade A.

My biggest concern is Im in first year currently and Alevel biology is a life saver, medicine is biology pretty much, Im learning about biochem, anatomy, physiology, cell biology, histology, all of which fall under the broad topic of biology and some of which is covered as a basis at Alevel. Can I ask why you are not going to take biology to A2 level? It would be a great help and part of me wonders if your not enjoying biology at Alevel then medicine may not be enjoyable for you? just curious thats all!
Reply 7
Original post by Jainita

You won't be able to get into many medical schools without A-Level biology. I would say drop physics and take biology instead since pretty much all universities expect to see it and, tbh, it is an extremely important subject for medicine. It's like studying engineering without maths.
Original post by Trapz99
You won't be able to get into many medical schools without A-Level biology. I would say drop physics and take biology instead since pretty much all universities expect to see it and, tbh, it is an extremely important subject for medicine. It's like studying engineering without maths.

Not true. Chem and Physics can be sufficient for most med schools (not all).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Natalierm2707
the usual requirements are chemistry at A2 level, but some medical school require biology at A2, if not they at least require it to AS usually at grade A.

My biggest concern is Im in first year currently and Alevel biology is a life saver, medicine is biology pretty much, Im learning about biochem, anatomy, physiology, cell biology, histology, all of which fall under the broad topic of biology and some of which is covered as a basis at Alevel. Can I ask why you are not going to take biology to A2 level? It would be a great help and part of me wonders if your not enjoying biology at Alevel then medicine may not be enjoyable for you? just curious thats all!

At my school we do 4 subjects at AS Level and 3 at A Level. which is why I was thinking that since biology isn't required in most medicine schools, then why not just drop it instead of giving myself extra stress.
Which is why I am working to get an A in biology this year.
Reply 10
Original post by Trapz99

But a lot of med students say that they don't consider A level biology as an option to accept you into uni because what we will be studying there is not related to anything in high school.
Reply 11
Original post by cookiemonster15
That should be fine as most medical uni's only require chem. However! Please do check before you apply to each uni as some may require biology.

Thank you so much
Reply 12
Original post by cookiemonster15
It really depends on the uni as some require you to take it further on. I would look it up on their websites

Thank you
Reply 13
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much..
As said previously, with those 3 options, you would be able to apply to MOST med schools. Having Biology would entitle you to apply to EVERY med school. Honestly, my advice would be to drop either Physics or Maths and do Biology instead, but really, just choose 3 (science-based) subjects you're most confident you would achieve AAA in.

Good luck!
Original post by Jainita
At my school we do 4 subjects at AS Level and 3 at A Level. which is why I was thinking that since biology isn't required in most medicine schools, then why not just drop it instead of giving myself extra stress.
Which is why I am working to get an A in biology this year.

My honest advice would be to drop maths of physics and carry on with biology. Biology doesnt really escalate in difficulty between AS and A2 but maths and physics really do, you may be more likely to get the A in bio (I know thats what most people here at my uni got an A* in as its generally easier) and its more relevant. Just a thought though.
Reply 16
Original post by Jainita
But a lot of med students say that they don't consider A level biology as an option to accept you into uni because what we will be studying there is not related to anything in high school.

I'd say that's very incorrect. Of course medicine is related to biology. A level biology is a good foundation. A first year student. Don't remember her name already posted here explaining how relevant a level biology is to her course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take this advice - your university prospects fall without biology so if you want more options,youd take Biology.

But first year of medicine is biology purely so it won't put u at a disadvantage. That being said , those who have previously studied biology at A2 will find the first year more manageable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think only a few will accept it not most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gonza nelson
I think it would be really hard for you to study medicine with no strong foundation in biology. Biology is basically the basis of medicine.

Nahh - I did it without having studied biology (or chemistry for that matter), beyond GCSE.

Medicine isn't hard, theres just a lot of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending