The Student Room Group

Eduqas AS Biology anyone??? B400U10-1

Scroll to see replies

That paper was so awful! Couldnt do any of it! I revised so much and was getting good in my past papets
Original post by Segsation
I thought i would be fine but i got to the middle of the paper with only half an hour left. I didn't really think i had that much to put on the last one compared to others, so i managed to get down everything i could have thought of. What kind of things did you/were you going to write for it? I thought it was really vague just putting 'significance' but as they had talked about species survival i put about genetic variation for meiosis and growth and repair for mitosis. i also didn't really know why meiosis can't produce tumors so i just said that once the cells were haploid they couldn't divide any more and that as they were made in reproductive organs they couldn't spread around the body

maybe thats right? i dunno i said that that tumour are made up of masses of body cells and gametes cannt create these large masses. Then said that it's meiosis isnt controled by the same protooncogoenes that mitosis is controlled by. Also said that gametes are not produced as constantly as body cells, tbh i didnt have a clue
Original post by Thash12
These applied questions...
I wrote every little detail relevant to the question, i did almost 4 pages on that 9 marker talking about crossing over and independent assortment in meiosis and diploid numbers, oncogenes and all that good stuff😂 Anyone know what grade boundaries will be like?

you didnt need to talk about crossing over and independent assortment as it didnt ask u to explain either process just the significancees but the oncogenes is correct :smile:
Original post by Thash12
The question asked why diagram B can cause cancer. So if you wrote about mitosis not being controlled and build of cells to form a tumour and so on then i assume you would get the marks. The question didn't want meiosis and cancer i don't think it did anyway, you're all good :smile:

yeah well the question didnt want u to describe either process just the signficances of them so good u didnt waste time on that
can someone tell me, in the questin about indicators and milk? did the question say that they added lipase??
Original post by kathryn99
That paper was so awful! Couldnt do any of it! I revised so much and was getting good in my past papets

A lot of people have written to WJEC to complain but no one to EDUQAS so i'm worried we wont get our grade boundaries attended to, I think they will be shocked at how bad people have done. Please join me in emailing the exam board eduqas to express out concerns and encourage your friends to also, this sounds silly but u want an A right? this is the way to go. Good luck, let me know how u get on
Reply 26
I explained the processes just in case, seeing as we have no idea what to expect from the markscheme. Hoping for 6+/9 marks
Original post by Thash12
I explained the processes just in case, seeing as we have no idea what to expect from the markscheme. Hoping for 6+/9 marks

In the spec paper tho the one aobut translation actually didnt have ANY marks for the process but i'm sure you'll do fab
Yeah I did this paper too and hated it 😭 my biology teacher said it was a good paper but it literally only covered the smallest topics in the textbook! Plus I bought the revision guide for eduqas and it doesnt mention viruses at all, I dont even remember going over them in class which really annoyed me!! I hope todays exam is better 😅
Reply 29
How did people find that paper...:/
Original post by Chloebreenb
How did people find that paper...:/

So i'm really annoyed about how i messd up the 9 marker :frown: So i explained the gills and stuff, the easy part, explained the counter current flow in both but then When it asked about the head, i didnt click that it was about ventilation so i wrote a handful of ideas, one about how hte body fish has a much more streamline shaped head so can move faster with a lower oxygen requirement. One beacuse the atholte has a wider shaped head which blocks water from flowing directly over it's outside gills. And then i did mentiona sentense aobut how it uses it's mouth to ventilate and maintatin a concentration graadient but the atholtle cannot do this but i didnt explain this process or mention the operculum :frown: and then i said how the atholtle gains some gases via diffuse over it's surface which is slow and inefficent in low oxygen concentraion envirnonment :frown: how many marks will i get for this considering how much a messed up :frown: :frown: The rest of the paper was hard as expected but i feel i did okay
Reply 31
Same here, i missed out ventilation completely on that last question. But that would be a maximum of three marks lost i'd expect. Though the rest of the paper was really applied but manageable.
(edited 7 years ago)
do you think they'll be picky with spelling?
Reply 33
Original post by clairebear101
So i'm really annoyed about how i messd up the 9 marker :frown: So i explained the gills and stuff, the easy part, explained the counter current flow in both but then When it asked about the head, i didnt click that it was about ventilation so i wrote a handful of ideas, one about how hte body fish has a much more streamline shaped head so can move faster with a lower oxygen requirement. One beacuse the atholte has a wider shaped head which blocks water from flowing directly over it's outside gills. And then i did mentiona sentense aobut how it uses it's mouth to ventilate and maintatin a concentration graadient but the atholtle cannot do this but i didnt explain this process or mention the operculum :frown: and then i said how the atholtle gains some gases via diffuse over it's surface which is slow and inefficent in low oxygen concentraion envirnonment :frown: how many marks will i get for this considering how much a messed up :frown: :frown: The rest of the paper was hard as expected but i feel i did okay

I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you thought! I think you should still be able to get around 5/6 marks for what you wrote as the main bulk of the question was the adaptations of the gills and you did mention ventilation. They may be able to credit what you wrote about the streamlined shape as well. Also I wasn't sure about whether to write about the absorption through the skin as well as it did mention that it was an amphibian however as it lived underwater i wasn't sure if it still applied
Original post by Thash12
Same here, i missed out ventilation completely on that last question. But that would be a maximum of three marks lost i'd expect. Though the rest of the paper was really applied but manageable.

ah im so glad its not just me!! u think 3 marks only?? tbh i thought my other explainations about the head were logically as well, it wasnt clear. but hey. yeh agree the rest was managable but hard
I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you thought! I think you should still be able to get around 5/6 marks for what you wrote as the main bulk of the question was the adaptations of the gills and you did mention ventilation. They may be able to credit what you wrote about the streamlined shape as well. Also I wasn't sure about whether to write about the absorption through the skin as well as it did mention that it was an amphibian however as it lived underwater i wasn't sure if it still applied

yeah even if i only get 5 marks thats only 4 marks gone out of the whole paper, thanks, yeah i thought my streamline part seemmed logically as it wasnt clear. But hey, yeh i just through it in there tbh
Reply 36
What did people get for the label of the y axis on the graph?

% saturation of oxygen :lol:

I didn't really like this exam tbh

absorbtion
Original post by ActuallyIDo
% saturation of oxygen :lol:

I didn't really like this exam tbh

I belive it was absorption :smile: as the axis was in decimals which didnt show percentage saturation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending