The Student Room Group

Internships and consulting

Hi everyone, I would know whether King's is a MBB target, or not.
And have you an idea of which consulting firms I can probably have with a first, 2:1 ? Thank you for your help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lecicesterrug
And have you an idea of which consulting firms I can probably have with a first, 2:1 ? Thank you for your help

I wrote out a pretty detailed post about this, just scroll through this sub-forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tank you for your answer. However, I did not find it among all your posts : can you give me a link ? Thank you very much for your help :smile:

It's not. Strategy consultancy firms tend to have 60-90% Oxbridge intake.

Indeed, at Mckinsey, two of my mates are starting this year. 85% are Oxbridge *non mba track*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Tank you for your answer. However, I did not find it among all your posts : can you give me a link ? Thank you very much for your help :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64439263

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Newcastle456
It's not. Strategy consultancy firms tend to have 60-90% Oxbridge intake.

Indeed, at Mckinsey, two of my mates are starting this year. 85% are Oxbridge *non mba track*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, McK is ~60% Oxbridge not 85%. They're actually the ones pushing the most to get non-Oxbridge UG hires out of all of top strat houses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

MBB is unlikely. Big 4 / Accenture is very achievable. Even Oliver Wyman is harder, but potentially more achievable as they are being proactive in trying to become less Oxbridge with their intakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Nah, McK is ~60% Oxbridge not 85%. They're actually the ones pushing the most to get non-Oxbridge UG hires out of all of top strat houses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not. I know 3 of the 16 interns, there was only one non oxbridge at Bristol. From the remaining 24 people who got offers, I also know many of them.

85% is modest.
No it's not. I know 3 of the 16 interns, there was only one non oxbridge at Bristol. From the remaining 24 people who got offers, I also know many of them.

85% is modest.

Nah, internships at MBB are much more competitive and I'm fairly sure a girl at Exeter was on that programme too.

I did a sweep of all London based McK BAs on LinkedIn (confirmed it with my mate at McK as well, he said it was accurate) and the numbers came out to be ~62% Oxbridge, ~21% LSE/Imperial, 17% other usual IB targets/semi-targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
MBB is unlikely. Big 4 / Accenture is very achievable. Even Oliver Wyman is harder, but potentially more achievable as they are being proactive in trying to become less Oxbridge with their intakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your post :smile:
1) And is there a really difference between Big4/Accenture and MBB in terms of case analysis ?
2) Is it possible to work two-three years in Accenture/big4 and then coming to MBB ?
3)Coming directly to MBB is unlikely. But what can I do to have a little more chances ? (experiences, internships,...)
Is a MiM (LBS,HEC,Bocconi, Essec, ...) in a top10 business school a good solution ?

Is a MiM (LBS,HEC,Bocconi, Essec, ...) in a top10 business school a good solution ?

LBS places alright, and maybe HEC and a couple others. That said, you still need to have a strong CV to be considered and even if you're given an interview, you'll have to prep rigorously in order to get through the cases.

Imo, I wouldn't plough £20-30k+ in tuition alone for a one to two year course just to have a slight chance at recruiting again.

As said above, work experience + top tier MBA would make more sense and keep more doors open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Have you considered what you actually want to do with your career? While the MBB are known to be fantastic places to start a career, there's a whole wide world of consulting firms out there to consider. If you can land an MBB role that's excellent, but before signing yourself up to tens of thousand in additional debt trying to increase a tiny chance of MBB to a small chance of MBB, you really should be making sure there's an actual reason you want to be there specifically.

Contrary to the idealistic view many students have of the MBB, they really aren't some mythic otherworldly firms where you run around making "strategies" (buzz word 101) for fortune 500s daily on your grad scheme. If that's the picture you have in mind then I seriously suggest doing your research before betting 30k and a year of your life on a shot at getting in. In practice it's not that unusual to find MBB consultants working alongside Big 4 (& similar) consultants at big clients - often enough it's the same job but with a more prestigious brand name.
Nah, internships at MBB are much more competitive and I'm fairly sure a girl at Exeter was on that programme too.

I did a sweep of all London based McK BAs on LinkedIn (confirmed it with my mate at McK as well, he said it was accurate) and the numbers came out to be ~62% Oxbridge, ~21% LSE/Imperial, 17% other usual IB targets/semi-targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no nah. I'm at Cambridge, I met them personally, several of my mates work there (already started). I am saying of the 16 interns, I know 3 in internship 2014 for 2015 start. There may well be a girl from Exeter for last year I. E. 2015 intern.

You can do all linkedin search but I know for a fact. I know 2 out of the 40 starting this year personally very well (3 if you include the guy who deferred from 2014 intern to do master's at my college. (Coincidentally, one is one of the non-Oxbridge ones). They had a ski trip amd got to know others starting - I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

I also interviewed (unsuccessfully) at some of the other big strategy houses personally so I have a pretty good idea of the process.

Parthenon even have quotas for interview 36 ox, 36 cam, 48 elsewhere. 60% interviewed Oxbridge. But returning to question, MBB is 85% Oxbridge if not more. As it happens, McK intake is also evenly split male and female. So effectively either gender is competing for 20 spots. Also as it happens, McK is the one that is trying to now extend to non oxbridge, for Bain/BCG outside of Oxbridge, uphill battle.
(edited 7 years ago)
There's no nah. I'm at Cambridge, I met them personally, several of my mates work there (already started). I am saying of the 16 interns, I know 3 in internship 2014 for 2015 start. There may well be a girl from Exeter for last year I. E. 2015 intern.

You can do all linkedin search but I know for a fact. I know 2 out of the 40 starting this year personally very well (3 if you include the guy who deferred from 2014 intern to do master's at my college. (Coincidentally, one is one of the non-Oxbridge ones). They had a ski trip amd got to know others starting - I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

I also interviewed (unsuccessfully) at some of the other big strategy houses personally so I have a pretty good idea of the process.

Parthenon even have quotas for interview 36 ox, 36 cam, 48 elsewhere. 60% interviewed Oxbridge. But returning to question, MBB is 85% Oxbridge if not more. As it happens, McK intake is also evenly split male and female. So effectively either gender is competing for 20 spots. Also as it happens, McK is the one that is trying to now extend to non oxbridge, for Bain/BCG outside of Oxbridge, uphill battle.

Whether you personally know a couple people in the class or not (I do too lol), doesn't change the fact that you're overestimating how many Oxbridge people are in the BA class, I can assure you it is nowhere near 85% Oxbridge. You might be conflating the percentage make up because there are so many of them..

The LinkedIn search was for 2 classes of BAs: 2015 start, 2014 start - yielded ~75 BAs. I doubt 5 more would drastically tip the scale towards 85% lol. This year's class may well be 85%, but it's certainly not the case historically.

Interesting info re:Parthenon, I've always heard that strat houses get a disproportionate number of applicants from Oxbridge than they do from everywhere else.

Even at Bain/BCG, the numbers still show a sizeable amount from UCL/Warwick/imperial/LSE/LBS - Oxbridge still doesn't make up the 80%+ you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whether you personally know a couple people in the class or not (I do too lol), doesn't change the fact that you're overestimating how many Oxbridge people are in the BA class, I can assure you it is nowhere near 85% Oxbridge. You might be conflating the percentage make up because there are so many of them..

The LinkedIn search was for 2 classes of BAs: 2015 start, 2014 start - yielded ~75 BAs. I doubt 5 more would drastically tip the scale towards 85% lol. This year's class may well be 85%, but it's certainly not the case historically.

Interesting info re:Parthenon, I've always heard that strat houses get a disproportionate number of applicants from Oxbridge than they do from everywhere else.

Even at Bain/BCG, the numbers still show a sizeable amount from UCL/Warwick/imperial/LSE/LBS - Oxbridge still doesn't make up the 80%+ you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it hard to believe you do given you haven't started university giving all due respect.

I'm not conflating, these are facts.

You don't need to assure me, I know the numbers. It's like someone trying to teach me about interest rates who isn't a senior academic even though I'm doing my research on it. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about here.

There isn't a sizeable number from Warwick. In my whole year, Econ faculty, I know only one person who started directly at MBB in London and I knew the majority of the year. Warwick is not targeted by strategy houses. On my course personally, one of the flagships, one started in SG and another Bain Germany which isn't even comparable.
(edited 7 years ago)
I find it hard to believe you do given you haven't started university giving all due respect.

I'm not conflating, these are facts.

You don't need to assure me, I know the numbers. It's like someone trying to teach me about interest rates who isn't a senior academic even though I'm doing my research on it. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about here.

There isn't a sizeable number from Warwick. In my whole year, Econ faculty, I know only one person who started directly at MBB in London and I knew the majority of the year. Warwick is not targeted by strategy houses. On my course personally, one of the flagships, one started in SG and another Bain Germany which isn't even comparable.

You'd be surprised at how many people I know in these industries buddy. I don't just get this information from my ass.

Never questioned that you didn't know what you're talking about, you obviously do. I'm just questioning how data I've confirmed with someone at McK is different to the data you're presenting. I've already conceded that you may well be correct for 2016 entry.

Indeed there aren't many at Warwick (like 1-3 max at each), the bulk of non-Oxbridge come from LSE/Imperial (undergrad and masters). I actually recall a contact at a strat house telling me about how they tally up pre-interview applicant evaluation points for university:
Oxbridge - 250 points
LSE/Imperial - 50 points
Everything else - 0 points

Of course there were other evaluation points for work exp., extracurriculars, publications, grades etc..

Warwick does get visited by some MBB/tier 2s and ships off a few but I agree, they certainly aren't a 'target'.

True, all of this is about London. I'm aware competition for other offices is nowhere near comparable.
You'd be surprised at how many people I know in these industries buddy. I don't just get this information from my ass.

Never questioned that you didn't know what you're talking about, you obviously do. I'm just questioning how data I've confirmed with someone at McK is different to the data you're presenting. I've already conceded that you may well be correct for 2016 entry.

Indeed there aren't many at Warwick (like 1-3 max at each), the bulk of non-Oxbridge come from LSE/Imperial (undergrad and masters). I actually recall a contact at a strat house telling me about how they tally up pre-interview applicant evaluation points for university:
Oxbridge - 250 points
LSE/Imperial - 50 points
Everything else - 0 points

Of course there were other evaluation points for work exp., extracurriculars, publications, grades etc..

Warwick does get visited by some MBB/tier 2s and ships off a few but I agree, they certainly aren't a 'target'.

True, all of this is about London. I'm aware competition for other offices is nowhere near comparable.

Yes fine but historically it was even worse. If anything in last few years, it's being opened up.

All of them seem to have banking backgrounds too. Actually there have even been grumblings here about some of the MBB intake. It's quite clear that a lot of the best applicants were not actually getting in, some people even got in whom people regard as relatively stupid having studied with them 3 years.

So when people present MBB etc as a holy grail, it really isn't. They are smart but best students? Quite often not. I even know people who I don't even find personable at all working there.

One more thing. Smaller strategy houses are actually harder to get into as they have intake of 1/2.

Also Warwick gets visited for MBA students not UGS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Always a pissing contest, I love you guys.

Also Warwick gets visited for MBA students not UGS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure?

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your-career/mckinsey-on-campus/schools/ba/university-of-warwick <-- clearly says 'ba' in the URL as opposed to 'mba'

https://www.joinbain.com/apply-to-bain/bain-on-your-campus/school_welcome.asp?school_id=294 <-- suggested role: AC

http://www.bcg.com/careers/join/on-campus/warwick-university.aspx <-- suggested roles/programs are for undergrads

MBB doesn't visit a lot of bschools outside of the standard top US schools and LBS/INSEAD/IESE in Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sure?

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your-career/mckinsey-on-campus/schools/ba/university-of-warwick <-- clearly says 'ba' in the URL as opposed to 'mba'

https://www.joinbain.com/apply-to-bain/bain-on-your-campus/school_welcome.asp?school_id=294 <-- suggested role: AC

http://www.bcg.com/careers/join/on-campus/warwick-university.aspx <-- suggested roles/programs are for undergrads

MBB doesn't visit a lot of bschools outside of the standard top US schools and LBS/INSEAD/IESE in Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they visit but the main people they are looking at are MBAS.

Quick Reply

Latest