Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How do you study for the PAT for Oxford?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

i wish i could do the PAT after my second year of alevels

(Original post by hank_the_tank)
    Yea, I have to say you would barely see Further mathematics topics like taylor series or first order differential equations. What I was saying is that if you are going for scores like 90+, you might want to go and have a look at further maths topics if you've got time.

As far as Im concerned, PAT has a typical question related to inequality in the maths section. Im doing Edexcel Further maths and that is included in FP2 (unless it also appears in other maths module and I have forgotten LOL) And sometimes even though the official website showed the syllabus, they go beyond that. For instance, in PAT 2015 (the paper I attempted), it has asked about simple harmonic motion and that was never mentioned on the website.

But still, you should learn the basics first. I'm not trying to freak you out, but suggesting you to go and read further once you've managed to deal with the basics.

Mechanics would be the most important topic. I'm sure. After that, its E&M and Waves.
    you are right on that account, i was having a look at the 2015 paper adn theres an inequality question that i didnt know how to do exactly and i had to see a youtube tutorial and you were correct that it is in fp2 tho there is a mention of it in d2

I would suggest going to your exam board's specification putting in keywords and see whatever modules each topic appears and studying it after learning c3 and c4

(Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    hey im planning the pat too
    what alevel subjects do you take i dont take fm either but i might do AS furhter maths /:
    CIE Maths, Physics, Biology, and Chemistry.
    I didn't actually realize that it was important to take further maths until recently. Anyway, my school does not offer it.

does anyone know if the trignometry section in this link is relevant to the oxford exams?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.