The Student Room Group

English language as level paper 2 8th june prediction

Has anyone got any predictions for the paper 2 exam on on language varieties AS LEVEL?

Scroll to see replies

hi, could you tell me what the topics actually are pleaser I feel i don't know any of them. all I've learnt is; language and gender , language and accents/dialects and language and occupation!!!
in the text book there are many more topics that we haven't covered
Reply 2
Original post by Danny191198
hi, could you tell me what the topics actually are pleaser I feel i don't know any of them. all I've learnt is; language and gender , language and accents/dialects and language and occupation!!!

Hey, i was taught:

Regional Varieties so you talk about accent, dialect, sociolect, dialect, accommodation,

attitudes towards non standard varieties
- prescriptivism
-descriptivism

Language and occupation
-Field specific lexis
-jargon
-exclusive language
-politeness theory
- face theory goffman and brown
language and gender
-Deficit
-dominance
-diversity
Language and power
Language and social class
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi, just wondering what exam board yoy guys are referring to? Is it CIE?
How do you guys make a good opinion article? I'm so bad at this part
Reply 5
I seriously don't know how to approach the opinion article or the essay i'm screwed, how many theorists do you talk about?
Was anyone taught language and sexuality as a possible topic? For example the use of polari as an exclusive code and gender neutral pronouns like MX?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EugeneMcollum123
Was anyone taught language and sexuality as a possible topic? For example the use of polari as an exclusive code and gender neutral pronouns like MX?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We briefly touched on it, not a lot but a bit. Just to show how attitudes have changed.
Reply 8
I read on another thread that someone's teacher was friends with an English language AS exam marker and they said it would be on occupation or gender...
that was on the Spec paper so unlikely
Does anyone know what recent statistics to include in the opinion article?
Is this for AQA?
Original post by harry998
I read on another thread that someone's teacher was friends with an English language AS exam marker and they said it would be on occupation or gender...

I'd be wary of anyone saying they know what it's going to be, because they won't really know; they might have a hunch about a particular area, based on what they think might be good topics or texts, but that's it. The markers don't know what the questions are until you do... I'm one of them BTW.
Original post by 10studentlife
that was on the Spec paper so unlikely

But three out of the four topics were on the spec paper (occupation, gender and region) so the only one left is social. So it is highly likely that occupation and gender will be on again
Original post by Danny191198

The topics are language and social groups, language and region (dialect), language and gender and language and occupation
The other topics in the text book are the A2 topics
Original post by moon_light_wolf
But three out of the four topics were on the spec paper (occupation, gender and region) so the only one left is social. So it is highly likely that occupation and gender will be on again

Yes, but unlikely for the two main essay questions, they are likely to choose these for part B :smile:
How long does the essay and the article need to be?? and how many theorists would you include?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by revision1
I seriously don't know how to approach the opinion article or the essay i'm screwed, how many theorists do you talk about?

This is a really nice style model, I think. Worth a read to see how he does it.
Original post by merkatron
This is a really nice style model, I think. Worth a read to see how he does it.

Thank you, will have a look at it!
Original post by moon_light_wolf

...although you could argue that the question 3 was actually region and class/social groups together, so 4/4 topics actually appeared in some form or other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending