The Student Room Group

How to stop procrastinating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
If you put the book on your head you can absorb information through to your brain . . . :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish it worked like that.. :moon:
This is pretty much what I am going through right now, and this is what seems to be working:

1. make a list of life goals that you will not achieve if you don't pass your GCSEs
2. cry
3. stare at lit notes and copy out everything the teacher has suggested that you do in past essays/exam questions
4. hope the grade boundaries are low
5. try writing out good points that you've done before and have gotten a tick for and try to improve them

Good luck!
Original post by TheOtherSide.
I'd just go on incognito.. :getmecoat:

Spoiler

Okay, the first one's fine since I don't have a smartphone, but apps don't work like I mentioned above. I think I could just turn off the internet altogether, or even not use my laptop, but I basically do all my revision on my laptop and the internet's too helpful...

I've set it so that it works in incognito as well :biggrin:
Original post by glassriver
This is pretty much what I am going through right now, and this is what seems to be working:

1. make a list of life goals that you will not achieve if you don't pass your GCSEs
2. cry
3. stare at lit notes and copy out everything the teacher has suggested that you do in past essays/exam questions
4. hope the grade boundaries are low
5. try writing out good points that you've done before and have gotten a tick for and try to improve them

Good luck!

Thank you! I'll try to do that, and see how it works out...

Original post by surina16
I've set it so that it works in incognito as well :biggrin:

Wait, it works on incognito? :eek:
Reply 44

Stay up all night and cover everything easy
Look at great things that great people achieved and ask yourself why can't you be more like them? Have a goal. Know what you are working for and start with small because if you plan big there is a high chance that you'll fail to do that and you'll your confidence and give up. Just have a realistic plan for what you want to do tomorrow. Like 2 hours reading. next week, make it 2 and a half then 3 then 4 etc..
On another note, get off TSR
Original post by Xepz
Stay up all night and cover everything easy

Mum won't let me stay awake for long..
Just log out. Simple.
Original post by _Xenon_
Just log out. Simple.

I wish it was that simple. :cry2:
I am procrastinating from sleeping rn. What is my life :argh:
Original post by stop888
I am procrastinating from sleeping rn. What is my life :argh:

Join the club! :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :lol: go into your extension settings, scroll until you find stayfocusd and tick the box about using it in incognito :biggrin:
1. I was getting too attached to TSR. Now I set myself one or two -short- periods daily to log on, and I keep to that. It has worked.

2. As for study, 'divide and conquer' is the only approach (I've tried many) that works for me- as well as being realistic as to the amount of time/work I can do. An example. Let's say I want to revise a set text for a literature exam. It's a big ask to take a 400-page novel and revise. So, I might set a goal to revise one theme in that novel for a specific period of time, or even just look at a single episode in the novel that illustrates the theme, for a smaller period of time. At the end of the set time I take a break and tick off the item of work that I did, which makes me feel better- even if the material doesn't seem like it's going into my head.

3. A small tip that paid off well for me is to disable the sound on my devices that indicates new email. I used to get sidetracked by it.
I need help.

I know some handy hints about procrastination, why people do it and general advice on how to drop the habit. I will post some later.

Quick Reply

Latest