The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
same here, i thought unit 4 was ok as i didn't have much of a problem. However i thought paper 5 was evil. I think i messed up the electro chemical stuff and the last page..... damn you unit 5

unit 5 values

70.0% for the purity of Cu (this bit i did ok)

.... can't think of anymore values
Reply 2
i thought unite 4 was ok, but what the hell in unit5?? yes i got 70% for the purity question, and for calculating Ea i got 100 sumfin cant remember but yep was sooooooo much more harder than any other unit 5 paper
and in unit 4 what did u get for kc..i got 10/3 i fink (approx 3.333???)
Reply 3
Yeah i got 70% and 103 or something. It was hard! :mad: and not really like any other unit 5 paper i've tried. Does anyone have any idea of grade boundaries?
Reply 4
hope78945
i thought unite 4 was ok, but what the hell in unit5?? yes i got 70% for the purity question, and for calculating Ea i got 100 sumfin cant remember but yep was sooooooo much more harder than any other unit 5 paper
and in unit 4 what did u get for kc..i got 10/3 i fink (approx 3.333???)

Hmm, totally messed up unit 5! But in unit 4..what did you guys get for the indicator question..where you had to tick the indicator? What about the value of the electron affinity?
I remember that I got values such as 6.25, 0.25 and 0.25 (I think!) for the moles at equilibrium and then ended up with 3.33 for Kc, no units.
What else was there - can't remember!
Reply 5
organic in unit 4 was really good i thought..but then there was that 5mark question about solubility of magnesium and barium..have i gone mind blank but there was no ph calcuations right??
Reply 6
n period 3 and group 4 stuf *frowns* hate those topics
Reply 7
unit 5 was ok, it wasnt impossible, what i am concerned abot was the structure of PET, since i dont know how to react a carboxylic acid with an acyl chloride, i just drew an ester with an extra carbonly somewhere
Reply 8
Unit 5 was pretty hard, with about 15 marks for "Suggest" questions.
Thats what I saw pretty annoying.
It was nothing like the past papers :frown:
Reply 9
at least grade boundary shouldbe low then xD
Reply 10
i only did unit 5!! it was impossible i dont think i got anything right coz it was such a confusing paper i think i ended up saying u add an acid 2 an acid 2 get an ester when i no u dont! ---- for the Ea i got a -ve no.? omg that really doesn't make sence..... i really hope it doesn't cost me a grade!! it was the hardest i've ever done... nothing like past papers
Reply 11
I thought unit 5 was horrible. Just so different to past papers. I got 70.1% for %purity and 103kJ for Ea. I know I screwed up the propagation steps in the free radical mechanism and also the whole mass spectroscopy thing. UGH. Hopefully LOW grade boundaries!!
Reply 12
SpiralOut
I thought unit 5 was horrible. Just so different to past papers. I got 70.1% for %purity and 103kJ for Ea. I know I screwed up the propagation steps in the free radical mechanism and also the whole mass spectroscopy thing. UGH. Hopefully LOW grade boundaries!!

Got the same values :biggrin:
but yeah everything else was hard.
And with that colour question!
It had everything in it, and it was kinda hard.
Reply 13
ma3eeni
Got the same values :biggrin:
but yeah everything else was hard.
And with that colour question!
It had everything in it, and it was kinda hard.

The Transition metal ligand one? It wasn't clear where they were talking about copper and where they were talking about zinc!
Reply 14
Doh, I got 35% for the purity one, must have made some silly mistake :mad:

I thought both papers were relatively hard. I was hoping for less organic in 4 cos I hadn't learnt it all lol. I reckon I got a C in both but hopefully I can still get an A overall if I murder mod 6 :cool:
SpiralOut
The Transition metal ligand one? It wasn't clear where they were talking about copper and where they were talking about zinc!

I hated that question! It was really different from all the ones on past papers.

The organic on unit 5 wasn't too bad though, it could have been a LOT worse. :smile:
Reply 16
I thought Unit 5 was OK(ish). Unit 4 was fine, but both papers were, I think, harder than usual, Unit 5 especially. Let's hope they lower the grade boundaries!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Ahhh Unit 5 was *IMPOSSIBLE* though it would be ok, but no.

I really dunno how examiners can just do that, change the style of the exam so totally.. grrrrr it makes me mad. do they not know that some of us have the rest of our lives resting on this??? And that might sound OTT but I gotta get an A in chem, and I was counting on that to do well and boost up my usm marks. In the synoptic I am bound to do crap, as ever.

so there goes my uni place :frown:
Reply 18
Mard
Doh, I got 35% for the purity one, must have made some silly mistake :mad:

Yeah I nearly got that, saw the ratio of 2:1 and divided the moles by 2 somewhere, but then noticed in the reaction before that there is the same ratio of 1:2 so it cancels out to 1:1..

but yeah that paper 5 was horrible, I just hope my unit 4 was enough to cancel it out
Don't know why all of you are complaining about it not being same as past papers. To be honest, it shouldn't be about learning past papers, which is what quite a lot of people have resorted in learning from, which is a pity. It's about learning the whole syllabus, knowing the ins and outs, not relying on what is likely to come up. Fair enough, if they asked something which isn't in the syllabus then you have every right to complain.

Latest