The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah but Arsenal's entire spine and key players were out. Koscielny, Ozil, Giroud being out as well as injuries to Mertesacker and Gabriel meant they used their 3rd and 4th choice CBs.

Boo ****ing hoo? Neither Arsenal or Liverpool were at full strength so you can't judge either side especially on one game.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Manchester United
Yes, but I miss the guy in the background more. Favourite United player ever.

Chicha was amazing and never wanted him to leave, especially in hindsight with the striker problem we had. Vidic.. no words.
Original post by trapking
@ManchesterUnited is 100% the type of guy to wear adidas tracksuits, pants folded into his white socks and holding a plastic bag with his can of stellar.

Very random..

In other news, Janaldo is tearing SS1 up.
Carragher absolutely destroyed Pogba on MNF man
Future has gotta be Morgan and Pogba. Fellainis been decent but Rooney can't play in a two. A midfield three with Rooney against big sides wouldnt work either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Aaron Ramsey will get more league goals and assists. U mad?

Pogba will do a mad one in the Europa League though ngl.
Idrissa Gueye is another Kante. Absolutely amazing player so far this season.

Just amazes me how Pogba is being outplayed by a player who costs not even a 1/3rd of his price tag :lol:

Still very sceptical about Pogba we could have done much much better in that department and spent much less (I'm hoping he proves me wrong though).
1. Try comparing the same type of players
2. It's been 4 games
pogba is not going to show his best with rooney playing his position
Idrissa Gueye these african ;players are all kante in disguise
Original post by Dirtybit
1. Try comparing the same type of players
2. It's been 4 games

1. Be more accurate in what you're referring to exactly? Both are midfielders and do somewhat similar roles. In terms of physical attributes I would say Pogba probably has the slight edge.

2. I know but in those 4 games he's mostly dominated midfield and is already getting recognition for his talent shown so far. You have to admit that for a player that came from the championship (Aston Villa) he's definitely impressed.

Original post by bigmansouf
pogba is not going to show his best with rooney playing his position

Rooney will always be in the team though which makes Pogba an absolute waste of money? Why buy him if you ain't even going to play him in his most dangerous position!

Original post by bigmansouf
Idrissa Gueye these african ;players are all kante in disguise

Ahaha I agree!
Also @Dirtybit

Do you still think Memphis > Mane? Remember you saying that Mane was a fraud and that he was not "united" quality. Do you now agree Memphis is the biggest fraud in our #7 history? :ahee: :lol:
Original post by trapking
1. Be more accurate in what you're referring to exactly? Both are midfielders and do somewhat similar roles. In terms of physical attributes I would say Pogba probably has the slight edge.

2. I know but in those 4 games he's mostly dominated midfield and is already getting recognition for his talent shown so far. You have to admit that for a player that came from the championship (Aston Villa) he's definitely impressed.

Kante and Idrissa Gueye are workhorses, Pogba is not that.

Actually those type of players are partnered well together with players like Pogba e.g. Vidal & Pogba

I was referring to Pogba only having 4 games so far
Original post by Kenan and Kel

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

I think there are a few point that it brings up. The focus is obviously midfield, we got slaughtered in midfield and that made City's ability to progress from their build up play very easy.

As you pointed out with people ****ging off Fellaini, he did a really good job in midfield where he was outnumber and under huge pressure. His job was clearly to sit and he did that and was well disciplined against opposition pretty much as good as it gets. In that role, there is no reason for him to be dropped or really for anyone to call for him to be dropped. I said it before and this would reinforce that Pogba is really not a very good player in the sense of his ability to self regulate his role. Thats the reason why despite being good in all of 3 vague CM positions he's really not that good in a midfield two. He either needs a specific role, or two very flexible partners in a midfield 3. He hasn't got that in a 4-2-3-1 with Fellaini and Rooney. Something in the free Pogba/Rooney system has got to give.

Jose clearly got it tactically wrong, and wrong by some margin. Its been a repeated theme in his meetings with Pep but the harsh reality is he's not as good in game manager as Pep. In almost all their meeting Pep has rarely failed to tactically out manoeuvre Jose in game. He has to take full blame for the defeat, the way he selected and allowed the team to approach the game was arrogant. People talk about mind games but why we suddenly deviated from zonal defence like we've been using, which Jose himself said would be our aim, to a man focused press I don't know. Not to mention Jose has attempted man focused pressing against Pep previously and been beaten on multiple occasions. If he was going to press man to man, the selection of a midfield 2 and two strikers both of whom with questionable work rate and tactical awareness, was just silly. Perhaps he had something envisioned with Mkhi and Jesse but I can see how they specifically could have overcome those other problems. Mkhi in particular looked like he had no idea what was going on wrt pressing which is hardly surprising.

I don't think its a huge problem league wise becuase this was a tactical departure from our usual but its evident Pep is under Jose's skin. Also worrying that Jose abandoned our main strength in his first big game, even more worrying for a non specific system.
Original post by Dirtybit
Kante and Idrissa Gueye are workhorses, Pogba is not that.

Actually those type of players are partnered well together with players like Pogba e.g. Vidal & Pogba

I was referring to Pogba only having 4 games so far

True....but then the next question would be who is the workhorse in our team! A player who is fighting to win balls back and constantly feeding them to Pogba/the rest of our attack :/

This is where I think Mourinho made a massive mistake with Schweinsteiger because when he plays with someone solid next to him i.e. Pogba he dominates the midfield well. Schweiny plays the defensive role a lot better than Schneiderlin (and possesses a long accurate passing range which Schneiderlin doesn't). Only issue is age but look at Zlatan...we may as well get the best out of Schweiny too because the quality is still there!
Baffling how mangers who have years of experience still don't know how to use players effectively even though its apparent.

4-3-3 ffs.
Original post by Rk2k14
Baffling how mangers who have years of experience still don't know how to use players effectively even though its apparent.

4-3-3 ffs.

This tbh!

Also waiting for the day someone removes Rooney from the starting XI too ffs.
Europa game would be the best time to test out the the 4-3-3.

Pogba Herrera
Schneiderlin.
We need to play a 4-3-3 but we need to play with the triangle point at the defence. A single deeper player. That is the system that best suits I would say best suits the majority of our players, its also the system which give us the best stability. Not sure about the selection, benefits to all of Morgan, Fellaini or Herrera. Morgan will struggle while Fellaini is on form, Jose would probably prefer the second half of the derby system, extra height and presence.

If that happens Rooney's favoured position disappears, so he's either got to play 9, RW/LW or as one of the 8's. So many managers to know this and show this, Moyes played him a 9, Roy played him wide, LVG played him in midfield and Jose 4 games in has already played him wide.

With Rooney its successive managers failing to accept that he doesn't bring enough to the team to justify weakening the team to accommodate him. How many managers now have accommodated him either into their system or more often their system to him, and in how many of those case have their been rewarded justifiably.

Watching managers over the years, I've basically come the the conclusion the vast majority of managers are tactically aware and understand where that the problems are. The difference between failure and success is whether managers are able to accept central beliefs the hold are wrong or not. Its just whether or not they are willing to let go of an idea that is holding them back. At the top level most managers who struggle will do it for short periods but later return to it, while lower down they tend to stick until they get fired, possibly due to lack of resources. I think more about the mental workings of people than anything football specific. Same reason so few manager stay at the top of the game tactically, as the game evolves but they still stay wedded to tactical beliefs or foundations.
Reply 2978
Original post by Rk2k14

4-3-3 ffs.

I was asking this for the whole of last season and the season before. Good luck with that while Rooney is in the team.

I'm pretty sure Mourinho realises this but won't drop Rooney. The Rooney problem will cost you the title this season personally.

Also Mourinho started saying Rashford is a starter because he's starting him against Feyenoord, yeah pretty sure he said the same to Mata in 13/14 after he did well vs Spurs and sold him 3 months later. This is just an excuse to use him how he was going to be used, off the bench or in europa. Martial is still his main man.

I'd personally play Blind as the sole DM btw. He's clearly good defensively as shown by his ability to play 3/4 defensive positions from wingback/CB to DM. I don't trust Schneiderlin as a sole DM. He played alongside Wanyama in a 2 and played in a 2 for majority of last season.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2979
Can see Depay leaving and killing it at another club who actually use him correctly anyway.

Latest