The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lucinda_Angry
So much being made of a stale no goals draw. I thought it was okay from the point of view of both sides. United aren't good enough yet to be able to shut down and still create against a team like Liverpool, and Liverpool aren't good enough yet to be able to pry apart a top side in a defensive mindset. But United can shut down games if required, and Liverpool can force a team to play plan B from the first whistle. Going forward surely this is good news for both sets of supporters, considering we know Liverpool's method of play is to be the better attacking side on the field and United's is going to be in being the better defensive side.

I was very impressed overall, I expected us to get a spanking but to restrict Liverpool to near no meaningful threat was quite impressive. That is leaps and bounds from where we looked a couple of weeks ago. Defensive capability is a must if we are to see the attacking football Jose can bring, we know he's not the kind of coach who will be happy to conceded so long as we score. Most teams will not require that type of bus park to keep a clean sheet, and as the team becomes more drilled we'll hopefully be able to create a couple of solid chances even when we are that defensive.
Original post by Lúcio
Difeo pls, I was talking about United showing they're past their reliance on SAF.
He's the greatest manager that ever lived. He made random players like Macheda win you a bloody title, it's insane.

You've absolutely plummeted since he left. Do you honestly think a SAF side would ever "play for a draw"?

Maybe he wouldn't but even he was naive at times. Away from home against a team with 5 straight wins scoring 16 goals, a draw is undeniably a good result.

Regardless, not being able to do what the best manager ever did is hardly damning criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by difeo
Maybe he wouldn't but even he was naive at times. Away from home against a team with 5 straight wins scoring 16 goals, a draw is undeniably a good result.

Regardless, not being able to do what the best manager ever did is hardly damning criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was Manchester United under SAF you're talking about, not some mid-tabled side.
Good Liverpool form or not, you would've never played for a draw and you would've never accepted having a single chance in the entire game.

Important question: what if yesterday you were at home? Would Mourinho have done anything differently, and would you have still accepted it if he didn't change a thing?

Well since Mourinho is meant to be a world-class manager who can bring you to the heights that SAF did, I'd say comparing them is to be expected.
Original post by Lúcio
This was Manchester United under SAF you're talking about, not some mid-tabled side.
Good Liverpool form or not, you would've never played for a draw and you would've never accepted having a single chance in the entire game.

Important question: what if yesterday you were at home? Would Mourinho have done anything differently, and would you have still accepted it if he didn't change a thing?

Well since Mourinho is meant to be a world-class manager who can bring you to the heights that SAF did, I'd say comparing them is to be expected.

Let it go bruh and go worry about your own club.

Get used to getting Mourinho'd.
Original post by Lúcio
1) That's rich because we both know you'd agree his football is boring were he managing any other club. Unless he's winning you trophies, you can't really justify how poor it is for the viewer.

2) You can't make that statement. Class means nothing if the players don't work well in the team they play for. The reason why I picked out Lallana and Lovren specifically is because they had slow starts to their Liverpool career but have now become very important members of the squad. Remind you of anyone? Smalling and DDG perhaps?

3) Because when I said "recent transfers", I'm talking about the last few years. We've had time to sort our transfer policy and it's clearly worked because we're much better with buying and selling now.

4) You clearly do. Regrettably, SAF is the greatest football manager in history and you wouldn't have achieved half of what you have without him. He turned awful players in to brilliant footballers and he did so without necessarily spending too much. Look at you now, desperately flinging money around in an attempt to paper over cracks. The "throw the money at it" technique isn't actually a solution you know...

Well I'd say we're among the 4/5 biggest teams in the Premier League so why is that a surprising statement? Arsenal haven't won it since 03/04 and you haven't won it since SAF left. Until you win it again without that man dragging you along, I don't think you have much to say.

Loving the white knights though. At least you have thirsty boys to back you up!! :smile:

1 - That depends, I reckon this is just you hating on Jose. His Real Madrid side were great and but for him Ronaldo wouldn't have won La Liga. His first Chelsea side were great to watch, and even a couple of years ago they scored bags of goals. Just because someone doesn't play with a high press doesn't mean its boring....

2 - I can make that statement and I stand by it! You can't compare them to young players we bought to develop. Also how dare you compare them two to DDG who has gone on to become the best in the world.

3 - You can pick and choose which part of your past you want to discuss... the fact is that you've spent 900m+ during the PL years and have yet to win the league. If that doesn't point to a problem then you're either deluded or really stupid.

4 - We are not. If we had Giggs, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Nani, RVP, Peak Rooney, Fletcher, Hernandez etc we would not have to go out and sign anyone.

Your last statement is just absurd, just to remind you SAF was Manchester United manager so his major achievements are also Manchester Uniteds achievements...oh and Arsenal have consistently finished in the top four and have won a couple of PL's, stop comparing yourself to them.

Maybe people back me up because this is a Manchester United thread and hence would have Manchester United fans, who will naturally side with Manchester United. Understood?
Original post by zKlown
Luke said Lovren was an excellent buy lol

Are you a recruitment consultant @SirAlexFerguson ???

Asking for @SA-1

Also, @Lyrical Prodigy is one of them people who quote tweets jokes on twitter and says things like "I'm dead", "I'm finished" and "sfjasbgsdkdsgdfsbgdgdf"

Nope :smile:
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
1 - That depends, I reckon this is just you hating on Jose. His Real Madrid side were great and but for him Ronaldo wouldn't have won La Liga. His first Chelsea side were great to watch, and even a couple of years ago they scored bags of goals. Just because someone doesn't play with a high press doesn't mean its boring....

2 - I can make that statement and I stand by it! You can't compare them to young players we bought to develop. Also how dare you compare them two to DDG who has gone on to become the best in the world.

3 - You can pick and choose which part of your past you want to discuss... the fact is that you've spent 900m+ during the PL years and have yet to win the league. If that doesn't point to a problem then you're either deluded or really stupid.

4 - We are not. If we had Giggs, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Nani, RVP, Peak Rooney, Fletcher, Hernandez etc we would not have to go out and sign anyone.

Your last statement is just absurd, just to remind you SAF was Manchester United manager so his major achievements are also Manchester Uniteds achievements...oh and Arsenal have consistently finished in the top four and have won a couple of PL's, stop comparing yourself to them.

Maybe people back me up because this is a Manchester United thread and hence would have Manchester United fans, who will naturally side with Manchester United. Understood?

1) Oh don't get me wrong, I hate Mourinho with a passion, but I can't deny he's a great football manager. I wouldn't call him fun to watch at all, but I would call I'm efficient. He'll grind out the results and probably eventually get you a few major trophies. It just depends on as a fan, you're happy to sit through boring games of football if the overall reward are the trophies you crave.

With me, I absolutely love watching football and is bloody hate it if I didn't enjoy watching Liverpool play the game. Would I endure a season of stale games if we won the title? Definitely. However I don't think I'd be able to live with it for an extended period...

2) Your statement makes no sense though and you're completely ignoring my point about players in a system. Lallana is far from a top quality player, but he works as well in our system as players significantly more gifted than him would. It isn't always about sheer footballing quality, it's about how you can procure players to suit your style and work as a system; as a team.

I'm not comparing Lovren/Lallana to the "quality" of DDG as a footballer, in comparing the relative importance they have in our respective teams.

3) I can't deny our transfer policy (especially prior to and during the Rodgers era) has been poor over the years, but I was talking more about how we've improved in recent years. Look at the players we've bought in the last few years - almost all have either been a success or we've sold them on without too much of a loss. Firmino, Clyne and Mané (so far) have been brilliant - it shows we've turned a corner transfer-wise in the last few years, and that's what I was highlighting.

4) Who made those players great though? Obviously you have the legends like Giggs and Scholes, but players like Nani and Hernandez were significantly enhanced by the impact of your manager.

My point is emphasising just how good SAF was and the clear decline since he left. It shouldn't have taken you this long to recover, not unless he was the main reason for your success.

When Arsenal haven't won it in the last decade, I don't think it's right to defend them. We might not have won the PL but we've still done some great things in the PL era. Multiple European and Domestic Cup finals and multiple (agonising) 2nd place finishes in the league.

Yes we don't win many trophies nowadays but you can't make a sweeping statement that we're a failure simply because we haven't won the PL.

We both know why people back you up and it's not because of how amazing your posts are...
Just take the L.
Yeah this

Original post by Fizzel
So much being made of a stale no goals draw. I thought it was okay from the point of view of both sides. United aren't good enough yet to be able to shut down and still create against a team like Liverpool, and Liverpool aren't good enough yet to be able to pry apart a top side in a defensive mindset. But United can shut down games if required, and Liverpool can force a team to play plan B from the first whistle. Going forward surely this is good news for both sets of supporters, considering we know Liverpool's method of play is to be the better attacking side on the field and United's is going to be in being the better defensive side.

I was very impressed overall, I expected us to get a spanking but to restrict Liverpool to near no meaningful threat was quite impressive. That is leaps and bounds from where we looked a couple of weeks ago. Defensive capability is a must if we are to see the attacking football Jose can bring, we know he's not the kind of coach who will be happy to conceded so long as we score. Most teams will not require that type of bus park to keep a clean sheet, and as the team becomes more drilled we'll hopefully be able to create a couple of solid chances even when we are that defensive.
Original post by Fizzel

Well in fairness, Liverpool were missing Lallana and Wijnaldum (former made a big difference) so it remains to be seen whether our best attack can break down a strong defence of a top side (West Brom while not being a top side will somewhat test this but I think we will be fine) but it goes to show the lack of depth we have in midfield.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4171
Luke so mad
Reply 4172
Original post by Rk2k14
Just take the D.

That's what she said

...to the other girl, ffs
You can tell that most Liverpool fans thought they were going to obliterate us....... But then again, so did I.
Original post by Lúcio

We both know why people back you up and it's not because of how amazing your posts are...

I been saying this since day 1...

100% true. She could mention the dumbest **** ever on this thread and would still get rep :lol:
Original post by SirAlexFerguson

...oh and Arsenal have consistently finished in the top four and have won a couple of PL's, stop comparing yourself to them.

Just sayin but Liverpool are second best in terms of most premier league titles ever..(so not sure what you meant by that last statement, Liverpool are a big club there is no denying that).

Arsenal CL titles: 0 Liverpool CL titles: 3

Arsenal League/First Division titles: 13
Liverpool: 18

They ain't no slouches!

Edit: Apparently Liverpool has won the UCL 5 times (whereas we have won it just 3 times) since 1955...interesting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Difeo pls, I was talking about United showing they're past their reliance on SAF.
He's the greatest manager that ever lived. He made random players like Macheda win you a bloody title, it's insane.

You've absolutely plummeted since he left. Do you honestly think a SAF side would ever "play for a draw"?

You're incredibly deluded if you think he never did that. Prime example being City away when a draw would be enough to win us the title, he picked his "old boys" hoping to nick a point and got completely shown up for it.

There's so much revisionism regarding the man since he retired. Yes he was a great but he wasn't perfect.
(edited 7 years ago)
@SirAlexFerguson is a catfish anyway, convinced of it.

Who actually backs her up anyway? I've never seen it. Luke is just very angry, controller went out the window a long time ago.
Original post by trapking
Just sayin but Liverpool are second best in terms of most premier league titles ever..(so not sure what you meant by that last statement, Liverpool are a big club there is no denying that).

Arsenal CL titles: 0 Liverpool CL titles: 3

Arsenal League/First Division titles: 13
Liverpool: 18

They ain't no slouches!

Edit: Apparently Liverpool has won the UCL 5 times (whereas we have won it just 3 times) since 1955...interesting.

ffs TK football pre 1992 is irrelevant

its a whole different ball game now. literally.
Original post by swirly
ffs TK football pre 1992 is irrelevant

its a whole different ball game now. literally.

Ik my bro but you can't say they aren't a big club on the basis of your last statement doe

Latest