Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

A2 - mitochondria shunt mechanism

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Attachment 539305539307Name:  image.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  506.8 KBHey guys,
    This is a question (B) from the official Ocr textbook and it's mark scheme. It makes no sense to me :/ could anyone explain it to me?
    Attached Images

Sorry in advance if I don't get the 'terminology' or 'wording' or whatever part of the question because I do AQA bio not OCR (Though I do OCR physics...my god it's the worst)

I think to understand the question you should be fairly comfortable with both:
    -Aerobic respiration pathway
    -Structure of a mitochondria

Just to recap for you though to make it easier:

Structure of a mitochondria:
    - Has one outer (mitochondrial) membrane, and an inner (mitochondrial) membrane also known as the cristae. The matrix of the mitochondria is the 'liquidy' part inside the inner mitochondrial membrane. The stuff in between the two membranes is known as the intermembranal space

- Aerobic respiration pathway: Glycolysis (in cytoplasm) -> Link reaction (in matrix of mitochondria) -> Kreb's cycle (in matrix of mitochondria -> Electron transport chain (on the cristae/inner mitochondrial membrane, sort of requires both the matrix and intermembranal space)

As you know with aerobic respiration: Normally NAD+ is reduced in glycolysis, link reaction and the Kreb's cycle. This means it accepts protons and electrons, or just H for hydrogen, to form NADH/reduced NAD. Since the link reaction and Kreb's cycle occur in the matrix of the mitochondria, the NAD does not need to pass through the inner membrane to give up its H+ ions to the electron transport chain (they are already on the inside!).

However, for reduced NAD made in for example glycolysis which occurs in the cytoplasm, the reduced NAD is unable to pass through the inner membrane to pass its H+ ions in the matrix (because the inner membrane is impermeable to it), so instead it passes the H+ ions to a chemical that is able to pass through the inner mitochondrial membrane

Long story short: The reduced NAD in the kreb's cycle+link reaction are already inside the matrix and so don't need to cross any membrane to release their H+ ions. However, the reduced NAD made in glycolysis in the cytoplasm is on the outside of the impermeable membrane, so needs to use some other means (the chemical) to pass its protons into the matrix.

Sorry for going overboard with writing! Hope i've helped a tiny bit!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.