The Student Room Group

University Of St Andrews?

What's it like? - anyone who goes there can shed some light on what it's like to actually live there?
- is it too isolated? Are the winters very depressing?

- Planning on studying philosophy.

Struggling to decide out of there and Bristol... Big difference..

Any advice?
It was too isolated for me.

Winters.. yeah, a bit. But I don't like winter anyway. The days get so short I sometimes went a few days without seeing daylight. As exams are before Christmas, December is quite a depressing month in St A. Though that would be the same anywhere, I reckon.

Can't comment on philosophy. There's a dedicated St Andrews sub-forum somewhere, you'd be best off asking there.
Reply 2
Original post by TattyBoJangles
It was too isolated for me.

Winters.. yeah, a bit. But I don't like winter anyway. The days get so short I sometimes went a few days without seeing daylight. As exams are before Christmas, December is quite a depressing month in St A. Though that would be the same anywhere, I reckon.

Can't comment on philosophy. There's a dedicated St Andrews sub-forum somewhere, you'd be best off asking there.

Cheers for the reply.
- did you end up leaving?
What exactly was it that made you feel isolated? Also, i was wondering if it feels very 'institutionalised', rather than independent being such a small place with so many people etc.. I just about got through the absurdity of the school system.. i want a place where I don't feel like i'm trapped in another restrictive institutionalised centre.. do you think st a is particularly like that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dock-leaf
Cheers for the reply.
- did you end up leaving?
What exactly was it that made you feel isolated? Also, i was wondering if it feels very 'institutionalised', rather than independent being such a small place with so many people etc.. I just about got through the absurdity of the school system.. i want a place where I don't feel like i'm trapped in another restrictive institutionalised centre.. do you think st a is particularly like that?

I've just finished my final year. Though I have been living in Dundee for the past year.

If you've ever visited St A, it's pretty obvious how it's isolated (and if you haven't, I recommend you visit). It's a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. It's actually partly why I decided to live in Dundee.

I wouldn't say institutionalised, but then our definitions might not match up. It is quite hard to avoid the 'student life' as half the town is populated by students (and the majority of the other half are OAPs). It's called 'The Bubble' for a reason.
On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for the university itself. I just happen to dislike the town!

Quick Reply

Latest