The Student Room Group

Would like to self-study computing/computer science

My choices for A levels are: mathematics, further mathematics and computer science, however my college doesn't offer computer science. Therefore, I am taking the alternative option and self-studying. I'm familiar with the process of being an external candidate for exams. But I still have a few questions:

Which exam board should I study with? Looking for one which has the most resources available.

There is a project worth 20% of the A level. Where would I do/submit this project?

Not sure if this is the right section to post.

I appreciate any help.
Hi, I have just finished the AQA Computing A-level and found it very enjoyable. Be warned that the Computing A-level is quite theoretical! I believe AQA have changed the syllabus slightly since, so I can't really comment on what it would be like for you. Teaching the course yourself would mean you would have to pick a language to do the first exam in and learn how to code in it on your own (there are loads of places online where you can learn how to code - if you don't know already). The first exam is an on-screen exam which uses preliminary material provided by AQA a few months in advance, a skeletonprogram (available in C#, Java, Pascal/Delphi, Python, VB.Net), which you then have to edit/adapt in the exam. The second exam is pure theory. Overall it's a fun and challenging A-level... Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, I'm in the same situation as you right now, I'm leaning towards AQA as apparently that's the most popular choice. Have you chosen a board? Have you got any advice for me on resources and books that I might use to self-study? I think I'm going to do Python as a language as I've already learnt a bit using edX, and there's loads of good tutorials like codecademy.
Have you guys checked you can do it as a private candidate?

I am sure I heard somewhere that computing is a subject that you can't do as a private candidate...
Reply 4
Please do NOT pick OCR as your chosen exam board. Their papers are filled with very tedious questions complemented by even more tedious mark schemes. AQA is the only exam board that can assess A-level Computing at a decent standard, every other exam board is just far too annoying to deal with. Python I guess is a okay language to do the A-level with, but I'd recommend Java as it's a more realistic and higher level programming language. It's especially important to do the A-level with Java if you ever want to consider a career involving programming. Java just offers far more than Python, including a much more realistic and logical syntax.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending