The Student Room Group

As french aqa 2016 essay predictions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How do you guys structure your essays? I always run out of time.
Sorry to barge in, but I think Music will come up, as it hasn't done so since June 2010, as well as Marriage. Perhaps Family or Holidays could appear as well, or Television 😊 Anyone got a favourite topic?
Reply 22
any one have any phases they can use in the essays that will impress ?
I really hope smoking comes up as that hasnt come up in years and it is something thats popular in the news...ish. Music is in the lead, I think family will come up one way or another(i hope not, cba with marriage or friends and whatever) and they wouldnt do two subtopics from the same topic (i.e music and cinema) so maybe internet/mobiles could come up
Family came up in 2014 I doubt it will come up this year, my guess is music, friendship and perhaps holidays.
Any ideas what they will ask on music
In terms of what hasn't come up in the SUMMER papers:

Divorce
Good/bad parents
amitie/amour

diet
stress

cinema
celebrities

Music hasn't come up since 2010, Internet since 2009 and smoking since 2010
Original post by maryswiers
Since 2012, publicity, music, sport and good friends hasn't come up so i'm pretty certain one of these will come up.

sport and advertising came up last year so i doubt they will this year
Reply 28
publicity and sport both came up last year
I've got my money on music, family/ friends and maybe health..not really sure what they can ask about music except the role it plays.Maybe the dangers of music? ie encourage drugs culture too loud etc etc. that stuff always comes up in listening so maybe could be in this too.Family / friends perhaps why do we need friends and what makes a good friend?not sure about family.there will probably be an adv / disadv aspect to one of the questions same position of being bit stuck on what to do but just going through some vocab and grammar parts
if anyone has an example essay on music that would be really helpful :smile:
if health comes up this year i will be surprised because that would be 3 years in a row!!
Original post by Riamh
How do you guys structure your essays? I always run out of time.

TIPS:
Make clear paragraphs with a line between each. Start these with a sentence opener E.g. Tout d'abord to make it even clearer.
DON'T include personal examples. E.g I like listening to classical music because... (conclusion should be the only place with personal opinions).
DO use general examples and opinions. E.g. Many people love to express themselves through music. I think that this is because.../It seems to me that...
For adv/disadv questions - do 2 advs and 2 disavs only. Min number of words allowed for full marks is 250 (1 page or less). Focus on quality not quantity.
Content is obviously the most important, so clear up your ideas/opinions on each topic before the exam. Plus, writing a little less means focus on accuracy at the end.
Don't worry too much about intro/conc. Apparently they don't even mark it (I got my paper from AS recalled last year and there were no comments/ticks/anything on intro/conc!)

PLAN YOUR ESSAY! Do a mindmap/list at the start
E.g POINT - 1 reason to listen to music = relaxation.
EXPLAIN - Many young people feel stressed after exam revision/school and need to wind down at the end of a long day of concentration.
JUSTIFY - Music allows them to stop thinking about work, escape reality and have a moment of peace to prepare mentally for homework etc.
OPINION - So, I think it goes without saying that music benefits us mentally + aids work ethic as keeps a clear state of mind. Therefore music is a relaxation tool with a positive impact on students/young people.

Structure - I use...
1) a 2-3 line intro paragraph about the general topic/why it needs to be discussed. E.g. Music is so important now because it surrounds us. Thanks to advancements in technology which provide high-tech headphones, portable music players and quick and easy downloads, it is accessible at any time in any place by anyone. As a result, it is used in many different ways by different people. However, as a young person, I believe that it has the biggest impact on the lives of students for a multitude of reasons.
2) Firstly.... (or advantage1 if Adv/Dis Question) PEJO
3) In addition... (or advantage2 if Adv/Dis Question) PEJO
4) Furthermore... (or disadvantage1 if Adv/Dis Question) PEJO
5) Lastly... (or disadvantage2 if Adv/Dis Question) PEJO
6) Conc - summarise points E.g. We can therefore say without hesitation that music allows..... (include all points). PERSONAL OPINION+NEW TOPIC: Personally, I wonder how further advancements in music will change how we use it in our daily lives. QUESTIONS: E.g. Could we develop hidden/embedded earphones to make music permanently accessible without visible headphones? Could we lose our hearing due to the volume at which we listen?

Hope this helps!
Original post by esthercrouch16
if anyone has an example essay on music that would be really helpful :smile:

hi!! for the music essay, i drafted one on 'the importance of music' (for young people, but it's pretty flexible) (if not just for young people, could talk about music in tv/adverts) when i saw it might come up. my three main points were:

- helps create communities and make friends at concerts/online
- creating music/listening to it helps people to express their emotions and make them feel less alone, etc., so it has mental health benefits (helps escape day to day life sometimes)
- it helps people to be creative, either encouraging to make music, or dance along, do a cover, create art inspired by it, etc.
- then maybe talk about music in films/tv/ads if relevant

let me know if you want it in french, or can add any more to it!! (there's probably a whole bunch of stuff i haven't thought of!!)
Original post by therealemily2
hi!! for the music essay, i drafted one on 'the importance of music' (for young people, but it's pretty flexible) (if not just for young people, could talk about music in tv/adverts) when i saw it might come up. my three main points were:

- helps create communities and make friends at concerts/online
- creating music/listening to it helps people to express their emotions and make them feel less alone, etc., so it has mental health benefits (helps escape day to day life sometimes)
- it helps people to be creative, either encouraging to make music, or dance along, do a cover, create art inspired by it, etc.
- then maybe talk about music in films/tv/ads if relevant

let me know if you want it in french, or can add any more to it!! (there's probably a whole bunch of stuff i haven't thought of!!)

This was so helpful!! If you have any of these points in French that would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Esthercrouch9741
This was so helpful!! If you have any of these points in French that would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a mark scheme too for the music essay. It's on the aqa website I think but I defs found it online anyway. The same won't come up again ofc - I think it's more likely to be a 2 part adv/disadv question because last time was a 1 part question.
Original post by Esthercrouch9741

Posted from TSR Mobile

sure! this is the rough draft outline though so there's probably a few grammatical errors in there (but hopefully not too many...)

1) la musique est importante pour trouver les amis, parce qu'on peut créer les communautés avec les autres gens qui aiment le même chanteur/la même groupe. ces communautés peuvent être aux concerts ou en ligne (par exemple, avec un compte sur Twitter)

2) c'est importante pour la santé mentale, parce qu'on peut s'exprimer (not sure about reflexive here) les émotions. pour les jeunes, la musique est souvent un moyen d'échapper la vie quotidienne, et ils peuvent savoir que leurs émotions sont vraies et acceptables.

3) elle aide les jeunes d'être plus créatifs; ils peuvent être inspirés par la musique, et puis ils veulent créer l'art au résultat, ou danser, ou chanter, et la créativité est toujours une bonne chose d'encourager [edit: to sing along - chanter en même temps, to do a cover - faire une reprise de]

4) la musique dans les médias est important aussi parce qu'elle peut donner le film une ambiance très distinctif, ou rendre une pub inoubliable. cet atout commercial est très important pour les entreprises que veulent vendre leurs produits, et c'est dans nos vies tous les jours, même si on ne le remarque pas.

(these are very rough, i'd probably elaborate more and put more fancy phrases in the paragraphs in the exam!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pjkj1998
There is a mark scheme too for the music essay. It's on the aqa website I think but I defs found it online anyway. The same won't come up again ofc - I think it's more likely to be a 2 part adv/disadv question because last time was a 1 part question.

ahh shoot. negatives of music is pretty hard - encouraging negative behaviours with rap is about the only thing i can think of? (without getting meta and going into the sexism in the music industry lol)
Original post by therealemily2
ahh shoot. negatives of music is pretty hard - encouraging negative behaviours with rap is about the only thing i can think of? (without getting meta and going into the sexism in the music industry lol)

I guess you could also talk about how people could use the power of music to brainwash young people? But then say that the power of music can be used for good as well and argue that there's less dangers than benefits
Original post by emilykelly1998
I guess you could also talk about how people could use the power of music to brainwash young people? But then say that the power of music can be used for good as well and argue that there's less dangers than benefits

I'd use
-negative influences/messages e.g. violence/sexism in rap
-incorrect stereotypes leading to exclusion
-distraction from work as can't focus as well with music on

Quick Reply

Latest