The Student Room Group

WJEC - AS Chemistry Unit 1 [New Spec] 27th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RasputinReborn
Did anyone manage to get an answer to the fluoride ions in water calculation? Probably the hardest chemical calculation I've ever seen on WJEC

Yeah I got an answer of 0.7 something... Have no clue if it's correct, but it wasn't actually worth that many marks.
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
I must say- I revised the most for Chemistry so I didn't find it toooo bad but it was a very long peper, I think I was the only one to finish the whole paper.. What % did everyone get as the % of Was it Si in the compount which was like 11.42g or something?

I didn't know how to do that question... I kept coming out with an answer like 0.001% and I'm not really sure where I messed up because I spent about 20 minutes going back over it. It must've just been my method or I misunderstood the question
No, that wasn't Si, that was NaI and NaCl

Si Ar was 21 something

For the % thing for Na I had 40 something (not sure about this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got something like 40% as well, no idea how mind you haha
3 marks is quite a fair bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it worth three marks? Must be confusing the amount of marks for another question then. The H-Cl bond strength question was only worth 2 marks and that required about 4 different calculations, which was pretty annoying.
Yeah, I absolutely cocked that up because I was running out of time. It seemed like an easy calculation as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was once you knew what to do. Everyone I spoke to didn't get it because of the fact it told them to use the data booklet and they thought it was instrumental analysis, which isn't even in this unit (apart from mass spectrum)
Thank Christ. Thought I did that wrong. It's unlikely that we're both wrong I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 48%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by robinback
I got 2 too :smile:

I decided to throw a 2 on the answer line after giving up on the calculations, so hopefully got a mark there without all the calculations :wink:
Original post by Emskibump
I got 2, what did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep I got 2 tooo!!!
Did you have to find the frequency than plug it into E=hf then multiply by Avogadro constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! So not too bad
Did anyone get a 1.2 pH for one of the calculation questions?

yes!!!! i did :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 30
What did you get when comparing the melting points, after the drawing the hydrogen bonding diagram part, was it to do with one having hydrogen bonding and the other not? :/
Original post by Lil670
What did you get when comparing the melting points, after the drawing the hydrogen bonding diagram part, was it to do with one having hydrogen bonding and the other not? :/

That's what I put, just a hopeful guess
Both of them could hydrogen bond...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they could bith hydrogen bond. One had NH3 and the other had an OH and I said the OH had a more electronegative O therefore the electronegativity difference In the hydrogen bond was greater therefore the strength of the bond would increase. In addition, one ofthe molecules was slightly larger than the other so there was a greater surface area for contact between molecules therefore there could be induced diploe induced dipole interactions. Kinda waffled a load of stuff I know about bonding tbh...
That exam is a blur to me now. Do you think the boundaries will be lowered? whats the usual grade boundaries? and did anyone do biology yesterday?:smile:
I got x=2 but let's just say overall that paper was hell!!!
Original post by ambarellarose
That exam is a blur to me now. Do you think the boundaries will be lowered? whats the usual grade boundaries? and did anyone do biology yesterday?:smile:

Good to see you on this thread too haha :tongue:
What did u guys get for atom economy? I got 77.0%
Original post by Emskibump
I got 2, what did you get?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got X=2 and so did most people
What was with the electrolysis question, wasn't even on the spec...
Original post by Chemistrycat98
What was with the electrolysis question, wasn't even on the spec...

It was on the spec, iodide ions gain electrons forming iodine which turns to a red/brown solution. Then you'd explain why- basically liberation of Iodine but I cba to explain now.. Go on chemguide and it'll explain probably.

Quick Reply

Latest