Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Core or extended mathematics

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello all,

I just started in January of this year working towards a Bachelor's degree in Engineering through Open University.

I'm about to have to choose between maths classes to take, either core or extended. What is the difference between the two, an how will each choose affect the end result of my degree? Is one better to take than the other?

Thanks for your help

There's a pretty detailed look at the two maths from the BEng perspective here:

It even includes a downloadable flowchart!

There appears to be a completely different approach to the new BEng going forward. T192, T193, and the as-yet-unreleased T194 will teach maths alongside other concepts, rather than a prerequisite grounding course first. When you're all done with these, then you move on to T176 to finish Stage 1.

I believe that Core is MU123 followed by MST124, and that Extended is MST124 followed by MST125, but I can't really verify that, as the Q65 course no longer has the path you're on listed. If that's the case, you can look up the individual modules, or take the diagnostic quizes to see what you're in for.

A lot of the named Open degrees have the same choice as the first-half of the old Core or Extended maths route, just MU123 or MST124. I breezed through the MU123 diagnostic quiz. For the MST124, though, I slogged through half of it with 100%, then decided I just couldn't be bothered to struggle with my half-remembered rules and formulas, and realised that for my degree, it makes absolutely no difference which maths I take.

The page I linked to recommends the Extended route if you plan on doing the Mathematical Method path in Stages 2 and 3.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.