The Student Room Group

Chosing the correct degreee for teaching

I want to do a Primary PGCE after I complete my degree (which I haven't evenchosen yet). Government guidelines say a degree in a relevant subject whatwould be classed as a relevant subject? I am toying with a few options at themoment Bioscience, Zoology, Ecology, Biology would all of these be acceptableas degree subject to be able to teach at primary level. Is there any degree's that wouldnot be appropriate?
How do other subjects like criminology, Marine biology fare?

I don't want to do a primary teaching degree as I want to keep my job options open to be honest.
Generally, the closer you can keep to national curriculum subjects (ideally STEM subjects, the better).

But that being said, my friend did Criminology, had no trouble getting onto a primary PGCE and has just completed her NQT year.
Original post by lorelei80
I want to do a Primary PGCE after I complete my degree (which I haven't evenchosen yet). Government guidelines say a degree in a relevant subject whatwould be classed as a relevant subject? I am toying with a few options at themoment Bioscience, Zoology, Ecology, Biology would all of these be acceptableas degree subject to be able to teach at primary level. Is there any degree's that wouldnot be appropriate?

I don't want to do a primary teaching degree as I want to keep my job options open to be honest.

Any of those degrees would get you onto a Primary PGCE, but if you want to stick to the national curriculum or consider Secondary teaching, then do Biology.
Reply 3
Thanks for the info, I'm going to go with Zoology since it's something I'm interested in.
Original post by lorelei80

If you are certain you want to do Primary teaching why don't you do BEd Primary instead? I lived with 4 girls who did it and loved it. From what I have heard it is also easier to get on than a PGCE afterwards.
Reply 5
I would go with the subject that you are most interested in :smile: Zoology sounds very interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest