Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Compelling Personal Reasons

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi SFE

    I've received a letter from SFE today comfirming that to receive an extra year of funding after leaving my degree due to family bereavement I have to submit independent evidence from either a doctor, tutor and counsellor. However, I did not use a counselling service during this time neither did I see a doctor or my personal tutor (although one of the professors at my old university knew) because I didn't want to burden them. My manager at work knew and my attitude change was noted do you think this would count as evidence enough along with death certificates?

    You need to provide evidence that the event affected your ability to study. You had no contact with any professional services or with conselling services at university? It sounds like you have no way to back your claims up. Your manager at work may be able to write a letter but that does not back up your claim that the situation affected your course just your job.

    Did you explain to the uni why you were leaving? This at least should be on your student record. You should be able to get a letter from your uni which states that you left due to a bereavement. Not sure whether that would be enough on its own, but worth a try.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.