The Student Room Group

EU is unelected/democratic? WRONG - Myth buster

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erzan
The UK parliament is weak, why? because the UK executive has an inbuilt majority and can bully it's way into passing a law.

No it doesn't.

The only way there's a majority in a UK parliament is if it has been elected that way by the public.

If the UK executive try to pass a law through that doesn't have support of a majority of MPs then it will be rejected.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
No it doesn't.

The only way there's a majority in a UK parliament is if it has been elected that way by the public.

If the UK executive try to pass a law through that doesn't have support of a majority of MPs then it will be rejected.
That does not mean the majority won from an election represents the will of public or MPs on every issue. Often the close relationship of the executive and legislature and various parliamentary mechanisms like the whip system discourage independence by MPs.
Reply 22
Original post by Reformed2010
Where the lower house (Commons) was proportionally elected so no votes were wasted.

I agree with a considerable amount of what you're saying, but the outcome of the European Parliament elections are not remotely proportional.

An EU constituency like Scotland with a population of five million gets six seats, while another - like Denmark - gets 15. Meanwhile Malta, with a population of around 400,000 gets five too. A proportional system cannot exist with such underlying unfairness - these are modern day rotten boroughs.
That is subjective. Fundamental Human Rights aren't. They're universal.

There are human rights but they cannot be justified except in a tradition, such as the Western Post-Christian tradition. Certainly Courts need to be fair for good governance but how can you say that someone has a "right" to practice any religion at all or indulge in any possible sexual proclivity. The apparently "fundamental" rights carry a huge number of hidden assumptions about reasonableness, sanity etc that are cultural, in fact Western.
Sick and tired of having to hear this same myth being trotted out by the Leave campaign.

Imagine a Britain where the PM minister has to wait on First Minister of Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Mayor of London to pick his or her Cabinet Ministers. Imagine a Britain where that Cabinet had to then be approved or rejected by Parliament in a vote. Where the lower house (Commons) was proportionally elected so no votes were wasted. Where the upper house (Lords) was elected by its citizens. Where the head of state was not selected by the accident of birth but by elected by its citizens. Where amending the British constitution could be vetoed simply by the Welsh First Minister. Or where fundamental rights and liberties were enshrined in law and could not be ignored by a government. Imagine if the Welsh, Northern Ireland, Scottish and First Ministers could club together and stop the invasion of the Iraq War or increase funding for the NHS? Oh wait, sorry that's not Britain, that's how the European Union works.

This idea that the EU is undemocratic and/or unelected has to stop. Laws are approved, amended or rejected by the directly elected MEP's using proportional representation in the EU Parliament and elected government Ministers in the EU Council from the 28 member states. The Commission President is now elected in the similar method of the UK Prime Minister, he or she campaigns during the European election and is the leader of the largest party after the Parliamentary election. The other 27 Commissioners are appointed by the 27 elected governments and the entire Commission is approved or rejected by the directly elected Parliament. This would be like the governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each proposing a Cabinet Minister to the UK Prime Minister and he or she has to wait for UK parliamentary approval for their Cabinet.

EU treaties are ratified only with the consent of every 28 national parliament and government approval. This would be like the UK government needing the approval of the UK 4 devolved administrations (London, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) to amend the UK constitution. In addition, European protesters for example have exercised their democratic right to put pressure on elected officials, as is the case with TTIP and the French government is threatening to veto the agreement in the EU Council. That is a representative of just 12% of the EU population able to defy the will of the other representatives of 82%. That would be like the London Assembly led by the Mayor of London, representing roughly 12% of the UK population having a veto on UK trade deals. Unimaginable (and impossible) in a British context. The UK government thanks to protest is now promising to veto it if the NHS is not protected. Evidence suggesting proportionally citizens can influence the decision of the EU better than in the UK.

On issues like how Greece was handled, which I sense is where many especially on the left like to accuse the EU of lacking democracy becomes a matter of debate on the type of democracy you believe is legitimate. If you support a more supranational, or Federal type model is it any less undemocratic for the other 27 elected governments in the EU Council to enforce their will on the elected Greek government. Than it is for the US federal government to enforce its will and stop North Carolina anti LGBT laws? You could argue the EU parliament should have a role in Monetary and Fiscal policy, which would strengthen the democratic legitimacy of the EU's decision on Greece. But you'll still have an elected majority imposing it's will on a minority.

The trouble is the European People's Party (EPP) who are Conservative and pro-austerity are the largest party in the EU parliament, The Commission President is a member of the EPP and the EU Council has a majority of EPP Presidents and Prime Ministers. We need to stop arguing that the EU is undemocratic and unelected, which is incorrect and puts people off from voting in the European elections. We need to educate all European (especially British) people on how their vote in the European election can kick out the EPP led Parliament and Commission. That they by voting in left or centre governments in their national elections can kick out the EPP led EU Council.

The tools to change the EU with two votes, supranational (European) and national (British), and protesting is there. It's time our education system, national politicians and media gave the knowledge to the citizens on how to use them. The EU is unelected/democratic is a myth, it's the UK that has the problems.

Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland SHOULD be able to prevent the UK from invading though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland SHOULD be able to prevent the UK from invading though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I disagree, I don't think 15% (roughly the combined representation of Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland represent) should be able to stop the will of the UK parliament from consenting to engaging in military combat. But, this was not my point....

Original post by L i b
I agree with a considerable amount of what you're saying, but the outcome of the European Parliament elections are not remotely proportional.

An EU constituency like Scotland with a population of five million gets six seats, while another - like Denmark - gets 15. Meanwhile Malta, with a population of around 400,000 gets five too. A proportional system cannot exist with such underlying unfairness - these are modern day rotten boroughs.
Well thank you and I grant you that, true. The voting system is proportional, not the constituencies. They are linked in an election and of course both must be equal. I'm not here to pretend the EU is a perfect liberal democratic utopia. I think it needs further democratic reform, as does the UK for that matter. However compared to the UK, from what I've read and learned it does not waste as much votes as the UK general election. Where you have 5 million vote for a party and they only get 1 MP. Talk about a waste of vote. Also my post was about the EU compared to the UK to be fair.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sick and tired of having to hear this same myth being trotted out by the Leave campaign.

Imagine a Britain where the PM minister has to wait on First Minister of Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Mayor of London to pick his or her Cabinet Ministers. Imagine a Britain where that Cabinet had to then be approved or rejected by Parliament in a vote. Where the lower house (Commons) was proportionally elected so no votes were wasted. Where the upper house (Lords) was elected by its citizens. Where the head of state was not selected by the accident of birth but by elected by its citizens. Where amending the British constitution could be vetoed simply by the Welsh First Minister. Or where fundamental rights and liberties were enshrined in law and could not be ignored by a government. Imagine if the Welsh, Northern Ireland, Scottish and First Ministers could club together and stop the invasion of the Iraq War or increase funding for the NHS? Oh wait, sorry that's not Britain, that's how the European Union works.

This idea that the EU is undemocratic and/or unelected has to stop. Laws are approved, amended or rejected by the directly elected MEP's using proportional representation in the EU Parliament and elected government Ministers in the EU Council from the 28 member states. The Commission President is now elected in the similar method of the UK Prime Minister, he or she campaigns during the European election and is the leader of the largest party after the Parliamentary election. The other 27 Commissioners are appointed by the 27 elected governments and the entire Commission is approved or rejected by the directly elected Parliament. This would be like the governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each proposing a Cabinet Minister to the UK Prime Minister and he or she has to wait for UK parliamentary approval for their Cabinet.

EU treaties are ratified only with the consent of every 28 national parliament and government approval. This would be like the UK government needing the approval of the UK 4 devolved administrations (London, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) to amend the UK constitution. In addition, European protesters for example have exercised their democratic right to put pressure on elected officials, as is the case with TTIP and the French government is threatening to veto the agreement in the EU Council. That is a representative of just 12% of the EU population able to defy the will of the other representatives of 82%. That would be like the London Assembly led by the Mayor of London, representing roughly 12% of the UK population having a veto on UK trade deals. Unimaginable (and impossible) in a British context. The UK government thanks to protest is now promising to veto it if the NHS is not protected. Evidence suggesting proportionally citizens can influence the decision of the EU better than in the UK.

On issues like how Greece was handled, which I sense is where many especially on the left like to accuse the EU of lacking democracy becomes a matter of debate on the type of democracy you believe is legitimate. If you support a more supranational, or Federal type model is it any less undemocratic for the other 27 elected governments in the EU Council to enforce their will on the elected Greek government. Than it is for the US federal government to enforce its will and stop North Carolina anti LGBT laws? You could argue the EU parliament should have a role in Monetary and Fiscal policy, which would strengthen the democratic legitimacy of the EU's decision on Greece. But you'll still have an elected majority imposing it's will on a minority.

The trouble is the European People's Party (EPP) who are Conservative and pro-austerity are the largest party in the EU parliament, The Commission President is a member of the EPP and the EU Council has a majority of EPP Presidents and Prime Ministers. We need to stop arguing that the EU is undemocratic and unelected, which is incorrect and puts people off from voting in the European elections. We need to educate all European (especially British) people on how their vote in the European election can kick out the EPP led Parliament and Commission. That they by voting in left or centre governments in their national elections can kick out the EPP led EU Council.

The tools to change the EU with two votes, supranational (European) and national (British), and protesting is there. It's time our education system, national politicians and media gave the knowledge to the citizens on how to use them. The EU is unelected/democratic is a myth, it's the UK that has the problems.

Absolutely spot on.

Original post by BaronK
I don't think he's a chairman. His title is quite clearly President of the European Council. Still, did you vote for Tusk? Guess both have an unelected head then.

I implore you to do research, the UK parliament isn't weak. Clearly this is why avoided the part about government defeats.

Hey I say this with love, you need to read up on a few political terms and how the European Union is designed.
Reply 27
Original post by Funkinwolf
Absolutely spot on.

Hey I say this with love, you need to read up on a few political terms and how the European Union is designed.

No I don't.
Reply 28
Original post by MagicNMedicine
No it doesn't.

Google 'elective dictatorship' and 'Liberal Democracy'. Then come back when you have realised how undemocratic the UK parliamentary system is.
For these right wing Tory MPS to bang on about democracy is a bit rich for they agree with the Monarchy for one which is unelected and the British public have never been asked if they want an heriditory head of state, they agree with the House of Lords which again is unelected, they agree with whips which basically forced MPs to vote the way their party leadership dictates to them and they also agree with the current voting system where only 24% of the electorate voted Conservative and we end up with a Conservative Government. The phrase throwing stones in a green house springs to mind.

Look at some of the out supporters, Michael Gove for instance a man who thinks the British Empire was a great thing, enslaving millions at home and abroad to make a few wealthy within the British Establishment, are these the plans for a post EU Britain?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by BaronK
No I don't.
Why do you have to be so immature?
Reply 31
Original post by Erzan
Why do you have to be so immature?

Why's it immature to disagree with you?
Original post by Bornblue
While I accept the EU is to an extent undemocratic , what I find hard to accept is the opportunism of many in the Brexit camp.

Many of them oppose making the UK more democratic via a representative and proportional voting system, yet complain about the EU being undemocratic.

The Conservatives got about one seat for every 25,000 votes or so at the last election. The Greens got one seat for every million votes. UKIP got one seat for every four million votes.

So to complain about the EU being undemocratic while shrugging your shoulders at our own system is opportunistic at best.

Cleggers put out a referendum on changing the voting system not that long ago, the UK as a whole voted to keep FPTP.

So unless i'm mistaken, that's that argument torpedoed. :|
Original post by Pegasus2
Cleggers put out a referendum on changing the voting system not that long ago, the UK as a whole voted to keep FPTP.

So unless i'm mistaken, that's that argument torpedoed. :|

To AV which is not a Proportional voting system. PR is.

The referendum was not a choice between a proportional and unproportional system, it was a choice between two unproportional systems.

And then you add in the fact that the Tories are currently in the process of gerrymandering the boundaries further in their favour.
Reply 34
Where the upper house (Lords) was elected by its citizens.

I'm assuming this is supposed to be an analogy for the Commission?

The Commission is wholly unelected by the citizens of Europe.
The House of Lords does not have legislative initiative, but the EU Commission does.
The Queen does not have legislative initiative, but the EU Commission does.
The House of Commons, elected, has legislative initiative, but the EU Parliament, elected, does not.

This is not democratic.
EU is inherently undemocratic.

You can only elect MEPs. They have NO power whatsoever. The EU Parliament is a rubber stamp parliament that cannot propose new legislation or repeal existing legislation. All the big decisions are made by the European Council and the European Courts which are unelected bodies.
1) The European Commission has the sole power to propose legislation. In the House of Commons, any MP can table a motion and have it voted on. Can MEPs do the same? No. They can only amend, reject or approve laws already proposed by the commission. Can MEPs repeal old laws without the consent of the commission? Fat chance.

2) The President of the Commission is recommended as the candidate by the Council of Ministers by a qualified majority and is voted on by the European Parliament. Given however that in 2014 there was only one candidate on the ballot, Jean Claude Juncker, and no other competitor, I fail to see how you think that's exactly a democratic exercise. Jean Claude Juncker's Presidency wasn't even approved by all EU member state governments (Britain voted against). On top of that, the EU Commission can also pass directives. Unlike European law, directives go to national governments. National parliaments or the European Parliament has no say on whether or not to approve or reject them. Directives must be implemented whether the public like it or not. Again, through which democratic result did the British public give approval for Commissioners to pass directives which MPs in the House of Commons can do nothing about?

3) EU Treaties are ratified with member state government approval, sure, but given some of their constitutional implications, you would expect them all to go by public referendums. How many states for example, had referendums on the Treaty of Lisbon? Not the UK. Ireland did, and rejected it the first time round, but the faceless bureaucrats running the EU did not accept the result and Ireland soon had to have a second referendum. How often is it that you get second referendums so soon after the first? As far as I was aware, Ireland was never a direct democracy like Switzerland where voters are regularly consulted on a range of issues at the ballot box all the time, but even in that system if something is rejected people aren't made to vote on it again. Not to mention that Dutch and French referendums rejected the EU Constitution in 2004, but the EU made some cosmetic changes and re-branded it as the Treaty of Lisbon.

4) Now your argument seems to be falling apart. You say that the EU is democratic, but then say that 12%, a very tiny minority, of a population can veto something that 82% are seemingly in favour of. Surely the whole point of democracy is to go by the agenda of the plurality (if you're going by first past the post) or in this case, the overwhelming majority. If there is something which the overwhelming majority of a population wants, but something which a minority can veto, then is that system democratic?

5) Consider this. In the British parliament you have 650 MPs representing 65 million or so people. In the European Parliament there are 751 MEPs representing 500 million people.

For all the faults of British democracy, when put to the test, it is far more democratic than the EU as a whole. For a democracy to function you cannot consider solely the constitutional and technical arrangements, you must also consider how much public scrutiny there is. In the UK there is regular debate about government policy and compared to EU law and directives, a lot of transparency. The arguments about the monarchy is a separate one to be had, but consider this, unlike the head of state of the UK, the EU's effective (not official) head of state, Mr Juncker, has a great deal of power. The Queen in practice does not.
Great post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending