The Student Room Group

Should the US apologise for Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

It's a topic that I would like to hear peoples opinion on, especially after Obamas visit to Hiroshima.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it too late now to say sorry?
Nope.
No.
The alternative was a US/Allied invasion of mainland Japan that would have seen massive Allied casualties & I'd argue far more Japanese would have died too.
Nuclear weapons, as with other WMDs, are pretty horrible things. In this case I think the use of them was justified.
There's a fair few countries in Asia that would actually like Japan to apologise to them for war crimes.
No
No. We need to get over this sins of our fathers crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ofc they shouldnt. Why on earth do you think they should?

The allies would have lost at least another million men. they started the war, they wouldnt surrender, they would have used it if theyd had it. It worked. Just NO.
Original post by Tempest II
No.
The alternative was a US/Allied invasion of mainland Japan that would have seen massive Allied casualties & I'd argue far more Japanese would have died too.
Nuclear weapons, as with other WMDs, are pretty horrible things. In this case I think the use of them was justified.
There's a fair few countries in Asia that would actually like Japan to apologise to them for war crimes.

Summed up perfectly.

They should absolutely not apologise, or even consider the possibility until the Japanese apologise properly for their actions.
Reply 8
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Is it too late now to say sorry?

dammit, beat me by 10 mins
Reply 9
No, if the US didn't send Japan a big message they would have fought to the death and there would be no Japanese remaining.
Original post by 999tigger
Ofc they shouldnt. Why on earth do you think they should?

The allies would have lost at least another million men. they started the war, they wouldnt surrender, they would have used it if theyd had it. It worked. Just NO.

Never said they should. I wanted to hear people's opinions on it. Personally I don't think the US should apologise.
Original post by Jebedee
No, if the US didn't send Japan a big message they would have fought to the death and there would be no Japanese remaining.

This, if the allies invaded Japan wouldn't exist anymore. At least the nukes only took out two city's allowing Japan to recover into what it is today
Original post by Tempest II
No.

The Soviets might have even taken Hokkaido.
Reply 13
Original post by Konahagakure
It's a topic that I would like to hear peoples opinion on, especially after Obamas visit to Hiroshima.

Of course they should
A terrible war crime in my opinion.
Original post by M14B
Of course they should
A terrible war crime in my opinion.

But it was either that or a land invasion that would kill hundreds of thousands of American soliders and millions of Japanese.
Reply 15
Yes the US should apologise because countless lives were taken just because the government didn't surrender.
Original post by Honeystone
This, if the allies invaded Japan wouldn't exist anymore. At least the nukes only took out two city's allowing Japan to recover into what it is today

Japan would probably still exist but it would have been decimated beyond recognition. Japan would probably not be a developed country today.
Reply 17
Original post by Konahagakure
But it was either that or a land invasion that would kill hundreds of thousands of American soliders and millions of Japanese.

There is no justification ever, for killing tens of thousands civilians.
Period.
We see history through Western eyes
Original post by M14B
There is no justification ever, for killing tens of thousands civilians.
Period.
We see history through Western eyes

You object to the Western front of WWII against the Nazis then? Plenty of civilians died there.
Reply 19
Original post by sweeneyrod
You object to the Western front of WWII against the Nazis then? Plenty of civilians died there.

I object to pressing a button knowing that you are killing hundreds of civilians.
End of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending