The Student Room Group

Really worried about my tattoos

20160527_170239.jpgchest piece arm piece wont load :-(
Hi ladies,
The last 2 years ive worked my bottom off in preparation for uni. Ive even just completed my access course whilst pregnant and giving birth 😀😀 so i dont know if its the hormones talking here. Im wanting to do either midwifery or child nursing in 2017 hopefully (would love to work in neo natal so unsure of path atm) but im really worried about my tattoos.
Ive asked students on open days and they say i dont need to worry, my chest will mostly be covered and my arm piece isnt a problem. But still it plays on my mind. Does anyone know if tattoos are accepted? I dont want this to hinder my chance of a dream job for me.

Thanks
I've worked in health care in many forms for the last 12years or so and never had an issue with ink my son has complex medical needs and a few nurse on picu have a lot of ink, however there still are old school matrons out there who would use it against you so cover them up in interviews once you have a place/job it's against the law to sack you unless you've got something obviously offensive and then it would need to be something like Muhammad eating bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Johnstrangey
I've worked in health care in many forms for the last 12years or so and never had an issue with ink my son has complex medical needs and a few nurse on picu have a lot of ink, however there still are old school matrons out there who would use it against you so cover them up in interviews once you have a place/job it's against the law to sack you unless you've got something obviously offensive and then it would need to be something like Muhammad eating bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankyou for your reply that does make me feel better. My chest piece isnt offensive and my arm piece is a band logo. Im very upfront and honest on open days but i will cover up in my interviews :-)
Thanks
Original post by gothicdreamer20
20160527_170239.jpgchest piece arm piece wont load :-(
Hi ladies,
The last 2 years ive worked my bottom off in preparation for uni. Ive even just completed my access course whilst pregnant and giving birth 😀😀 so i dont know if its the hormones talking here. Im wanting to do either midwifery or child nursing in 2017 hopefully (would love to work in neo natal so unsure of path atm) but im really worried about my tattoos.
Ive asked students on open days and they say i dont need to worry, my chest will mostly be covered and my arm piece isnt a problem. But still it plays on my mind. Does anyone know if tattoos are accepted? I dont want this to hinder my chance of a dream job for me.

Thanks

Don't worry about it, there are plenty of qualified nurses with visible tattoos. Obviously it is more professional to cover up for interviews and so on if possible, which of course shouldn't be the case but unfortunately first impressions can sometimes be prejudiced. It's up to you whether you choose to cover up of course, but personally I would rather be overly cautious.

Depending on your uniform style most of your chest should be covered but I would imagine it will be visible in scrubs-style uniforms. Realistically, the only thing you might experience is negative comments from patients who don't like tattoos. Only offensive tattoos are cause for concern from employers/university, although some uniform policies state that excessive tattoos must be covered. I've never experienced anyone being pulled up on this and I imagine it would be tricky for them to decide what constitutes an 'excessive' number of tattoos, but worst case scenario is someone asks you to wear a t-shirt under your uniform. It is certainly not cause for dismissal.
I didn't want to repeat what others have said re: tattoos so on a side note I thought I would mention you can go into neonatal nursing after completing adult nursing :smile: a few people in my cohort have got jobs secured on the neonatal unit despite being adult trained
If you're not sure where you want to be then I would suggest adult nursing as it is a lot more flexible than midwifery or children's nursing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loads of nurses have tattoos, as long as they're not offensive it's usually ok.

Btw, not all of us are ladies :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Tattoos are fine seriously don't stress! Nurses are cool like other people too 😛
Reply 7
I had to wear tubeagrips whilst working on some wards, but with hand ones they couldn't do much!
I always find service users saying they like mine and asking what significance they have (fyi non lol!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swagio
I had to wear tubeagrips whilst working on some wards, but with hand ones they couldn't do much!
I always find service users saying they like mine and asking what significance they have (fyi non lol!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? On your arms? What about being bare below the elbow? That seems a bit over the top lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Really? On your arms? What about being bare below the elbow? That seems a bit over the top lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had to wear it below my elbow 3 quarters the way down, which looked even worse! But some of the seniors were very old styled and said it was against uniform policy 🙄
Cus I giant tubeagrip isn't!!!
I don't live in the uk tho, so no nhs rules or whatever to say they can't make u do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending