The Student Room Group

Does it matter where you get your experience from?

I'd eventually like to be teaching in a private primary school. Does it really look much better if I manage to get two weeks worth of work experience in a private school vs a state school? I've heard future employers can look upon it favourably, but if anyone has any experience/ insight that would be great.
Reply 1
Fairly sure for entry to a PGCE that you need 10 days' minimum experience in the state sector.
Why do you want to work in a private school?

You should get experience in more than one school as all schools have different policies such as attendance and behaviour for learning and preferred ways of delivering content. You will work in at least 2 school placements during your PGCE, unless it is a placement you have arranged yourself or you do School Direct. I'd advise to get experience in both a private and a state school and then you can see the differences in how they operate. As a qualified teacher you should be able to work in both the public and the private sector.
Original post by Powersymphonia
Why do you want to work in a private school?

You should get experience in more than one school as all schools have different policies such as attendance and behaviour for learning and preferred ways of delivering content. You will work in at least 2 school placements during your PGCE, unless it is a placement you have arranged yourself or you do School Direct. I'd advise to get experience in both a private and a state school and then you can see the differences in how they operate. As a qualified teacher you should be able to work in both the public and the private sector.

Most School Direct courses seem to offer two placements, though admittedly the second one is shorter (six weeks in my case).
Original post by Angelil
Fairly sure for entry to a PGCE that you need 10 days' minimum experience in the state sector.

Not true, Oxford only wanted 1 day.
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I'd eventually like to be teaching in a private primary school. Does it really look much better if I manage to get two weeks worth of work experience in a private school vs a state school? I've heard future employers can look upon it favourably, but if anyone has any experience/ insight that would be great.

Private would probably help, but generally PGCE courses look down up on/dont count private experience. If you can twist it in a positive way they wont mind however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending