The Student Room Group

Ghost writer (Ethereal's professional doctorate blog)

Scroll to see replies

Well done ! And don't let the Viva worry you ! It is actually easier than getting all the writing done correctly !
Reply 21
Well, it's been a while since I added anything in here.

I said in my first post this would catch the highs and lows, and the last 6 weeks have certainly been a low. I had something happen in my personal life which is one of the most bizarre things I think I've ever been through (I don't want to post about it here) and it has left me reeling a fair bit. It is pretty much resolved, and resolved in the correct way, but there will be plenty of lasting effects which have unsettled me a bit. As a consequence, I did the square root of **** all in terms of progress on the chapter - despite me spending many hours reading and staring at a screen - and now I'm playing catch up. I am feeling a little outfaced in terms of hitting my intended deadline - I want to submit in January, and the first draft isn't anywhere near properly researched or written. Hopefully I can pull it back round!

Anyway, sadly a complete opposite of my last news, eh?!
Original post by Ethereal
Well, it's been a while since I added anything in here.

I said in my first post this would catch the highs and lows, and the last 6 weeks have certainly been a low. I had something happen in my personal life which is one of the most bizarre things I think I've ever been through (I don't want to post about it here) and it has left me reeling a fair bit. It is pretty much resolved, and resolved in the correct way, but there will be plenty of lasting effects which have unsettled me a bit. As a consequence, I did the square root of **** all in terms of progress on the chapter - despite me spending many hours reading and staring at a screen - and now I'm playing catch up. I am feeling a little outfaced in terms of hitting my intended deadline - I want to submit in January, and the first draft isn't anywhere near properly researched or written. Hopefully I can pull it back round!

Anyway, sadly a complete opposite of my last news, eh?!

:hugs: Tiz v hard when personal life gets in the way. Try not to beat yourself up too much :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Still finding it hard going to get back into the swing of it. Am away with work from tomorrow until Wednesday, and then on leave and up home Thu to Sun. Hopefully the break will leave me ready and willing to knock this out of the field!
Still finding it hard going to get back into the swing of it. Am away with work from tomorrow until Wednesday, and then on leave and up home Thu to Sun. Hopefully the break will leave me ready and willing to knock this out of the field!

Good luck! Enjoy your leave :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a safe trip, and enjoy the break.

Rest!

You can do it :smile:
Reply 26
Wow, it's been a while hasn't it? I am still trying to square away my philosophical framework but it is hard going. I've lost track of the number of times I have deleted it and started again because what I had written just doesn't work at all. For weeks (months?) I have had the feeling I am about to push through the blockage and get it done and right, but for whatever reason I haven't quite made it yet.

The annoying thing is I can talk about my framework until the cows come home but I can't write the ****er down.
Wow, it's been a while hasn't it? I am still trying to square away my philosophical framework but it is hard going. I've lost track of the number of times I have deleted it and started again because what I had written just doesn't work at all. For weeks (months?) I have had the feeling I am about to push through the blockage and get it done and right, but for whatever reason I haven't quite made it yet.

The annoying thing is I can talk about my framework until the cows come home but I can't write the ****er down.

:jumphug: It's really hard to get things down on paper. I've been struggling with that too recently :frown: Feel your pain! :console:
Reply 28
Even longer this time! To be fair, the lack of update here is probably indicative of the lack of progress on writing up! I have written, deleted, re-written thousands of words - but my net word count is currently less than 5,000 (the thesis part of my research is 30,000) so I'm not doing very well in terms of actual progress. I want to spend the next couple of days really working hard on it and pushing through this barrier.

I think if I can get to 20,000 by new year I will be on a good course to get this done - I will need to actually do my "research product / results" then in order to be able to talk about it - I think 20,000 will be filled by paradigm, identity, ethics, theoretical framework, analysis of other research against it (though I've already done some of those in earlier pieces of work, so it's more recap than in depth) and analysis of my preliminary research to give me the basis for the thing I will then draft and analyse.

I am bored of it now and just want it to be over, so just going to have to push through and get it done!
Good luck :rave: :woo: :hugs:
Reply 30
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Good luck :rave: :woo: :hugs:

Thank you :smile: It probably isn't as bad as it sounds as I edit as I go (hence the scything and re-writing) and I have deemed what I've done to be so **** a few times I've deleted it and then started again from scratch.
Even longer this time! To be fair, the lack of update here is probably indicative of the lack of progress on writing up! I have written, deleted, re-written thousands of words - but my net word count is currently less than 5,000 (the thesis part of my research is 30,000) so I'm not doing very well in terms of actual progress. I want to spend the next couple of days really working hard on it and pushing through this barrier.

I think if I can get to 20,000 by new year I will be on a good course to get this done - I will need to actually do my "research product / results" then in order to be able to talk about it - I think 20,000 will be filled by paradigm, identity, ethics, theoretical framework, analysis of other research against it (though I've already done some of those in earlier pieces of work, so it's more recap than in depth) and analysis of my preliminary research to give me the basis for the thing I will then draft and analyse.

I am bored of it now and just want it to be over, so just going to have to push through and get it done!

Don't be hard on yourself.

You'll have the floppy hat and funky coloured robes before you know it.

You can do it :smile:
I am late to this, I know, but I am on the final straight now and this might keep me at it.

Would you give us more detail on what exactly the thesis is about? In my experience (not at this level!), trying to describe something helps because you have to put it into words.
Reply 33
Original post by Mactotaur
Would you give us more detail on what exactly the thesis is about? In my experience (not at this level!), trying to describe something helps because you have to put it into words.

It's a doctrinal mixed methods analysis of some law enforcement powers. My previous chapters have proved they can theoretically be consolidated, and this one woll prove how.
It's a doctrinal mixed methods analysis of some law enforcement powers. My previous chapters have proved they can theoretically be consolidated, and this one woll prove how.

Which powers would these be?

I haven't studied law beyond A-level, but the law itself and how it's enforced is something I am interested in.
Reply 35
Original post by Mactotaur
Which powers would these be?

I haven't studied law beyond A-level, but the law itself and how it's enforced is something I am interested in.

powers of entry and their associated powers.

what do you study? what interests you about law enforcement?
powers of entry and their associated powers.

what do you study? what interests you about law enforcement?

I study an English-related degree. Crime and punishment is simply a hobby; a lot of my own writing, fiction and non-fiction, revolves around crime, those who punish it within the law and without, and how far powers should go to help fight crime (and the oversteps of that line in policies such as mass surveillance).
Reply 37
The last couple of days I've made some breakthroughs but it's been a bloody hard slog! Definitely not there by any means, but nearer there than not.
The last couple of days I've made some breakthroughs but it's been a bloody hard slog! Definitely not there by any means, but nearer there than not.

Happy New Year :hugs: And :dance: for breakthroughs! :yeah:
Reply 39
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Happy New Year :hugs: And :dance: for breakthroughs! :yeah:

Thanks, you too.

Breakthroughs are more accurately described as cracks I think, but it's at least something...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending