The Student Room Group

What things on your application to universities generally give the most weighting to?

Hey everyone!

So I realise this is a really annoying question and not one with a specific answer, but please bear with me :3 I know it varies between universities, but what do most universities give more weighting to on the UCAS application for the following subjects:

- Biological Sciences?
- English Literature?

I'm afraid to say that I'm not sure I'm going to get wonderful grades in my first year of A Levels (I think I've done well in History and English Literature, I think I've done okay in Biology and I am honestly not sure about Chemistry). I need Chemistry for my choices in Biological Sciences (which is my main choice :3).

I'm just worried that if I don't get as good a grades as my target grade, which is an A in all subjects because it is a mean of my grades at GCSE, then it will hamper my chances of being offered good university places/conditional offers? I have really good work experience and I'm always told my CV/applications are really, really good etc, but I'm worried my grades will bring my application down too far. Obviously they won't look AS GOOD as fab grades would, but how far will they hamper my chances if I have two good and two okay but not so good?

I hope that makes sense, please help :3
Original post by nerdydaydreamer
Hey everyone!

So I realise this is a really annoying question and not one with a specific answer, but please bear with me :3 I know it varies between universities, but what do most universities give more weighting to on the UCAS application for the following subjects:

- Biological Sciences?
- English Literature?

I'm afraid to say that I'm not sure I'm going to get wonderful grades in my first year of A Levels (I think I've done well in History and English Literature, I think I've done okay in Biology and I am honestly not sure about Chemistry). I need Chemistry for my choices in Biological Sciences (which is my main choice :3).

I'm just worried that if I don't get as good a grades as my target grade, which is an A in all subjects because it is a mean of my grades at GCSE, then it will hamper my chances of being offered good university places/conditional offers? I have really good work experience and I'm always told my CV/applications are really, really good etc, but I'm worried my grades will bring my application down too far. Obviously they won't look AS GOOD as fab grades would, but how far will they hamper my chances if I have two good and two okay but not so good?

I hope that makes sense, please help :3

As you say it depends on the universities for english literature, if your essay subjects are good grades then a not so good chemistry grade won't do too much harm. However, for biological sciences a not so good chemistry grade won't look as good.
For your two subject choices I would say that your grades will be most important as work experience doesn't hold much importance for subjects that aren't vocational.

I would say wait to see what happens on results day as you never know:smile: You can always have an aspirational ucas choice and some less risky ones if you do miss your target grade.
Original post by claireestelle
As you say it depends on the universities for english literature, if your essay subjects are good grades then a not so good chemistry grade won't do too much harm. However, for biological sciences a not so good chemistry grade won't look as good.
For your two subject choices I would say that your grades will be most important as work experience doesn't hold much importance for subjects that aren't vocational.

I would say wait to see what happens on results day as you never know:smile: You can always have an aspirational ucas choice and some less risky ones if you do miss your target grade.

thank you so much love, that's really helpful! I suppose I still have another exam in each science to bring my grade up more. I see my A Levels as more of a work in progress, so leading up to the final exams. I hope to improve far more then, and my target grades do not reflect my strengths and are for the end of A Level. :smile:
Original post by nerdydaydreamer
thank you so much love, that's really helpful! I suppose I still have another exam in each science to bring my grade up more. I see my A Levels as more of a work in progress, so leading up to the final exams. I hope to improve far more then, and my target grades do not reflect my strengths and are for the end of A Level. :smile:

glad to help:smile: If you find that you improve massively in your A2 year, there is always adjustment available which is risk free :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest