The Student Room Group

I had my phone in my pocket during my exam?! Help?

I honestly feel like such an idiot, today during my english lit exam I felt a vibration in my pocket and when I put my hand inside I realised that my phone was inside!
I got really worried so I immediately put my hand up and apologised to the examiner saying I didn't realise it was in my pocket, I saw the examiners talking at the front but they didn't say anything to me when they gave me my
phone back.
I'm really upset because instead of focusing on my lit exam I was too worried about getting penalised because of my phone and I can't get to sleep now because of it :frown:
I made so many mistakes in the exam,
I didn't write a conclusion, I rushed so many points and for the unseen poem I didn't write an equal amount for all the bullet points as I did with all my past papers :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noor.m
I honestly feel like such an idiot, today during my english lit exam I felt a vibration in my pocket and when I put my hand inside I realised that my phone was inside!
I got really worried so I immediately put my hand up and apologised to the examiner saying I didn't realise it was in my pocket, I saw the examiners talking at the front but they didn't say anything to me when they gave me my
phone back.
I'm really upset because instead of focusing on my lit exam I was too worried about getting penalised because of my phone and I can't get to sleep now because of it :frown:

Don't worry about it. I'm sure that if something was to happen they would tell you at the time. Invigilators aren't that cruel...
Reply 2
Original post by Mayhemβ„’
you shouldn't have told them about it and winged the rest of the exam with your phone

My phone was on and I was pretty sure someone was going to ring during my exam so I didn't really have any choice
Reply 3
Original post by WhyDoIEvenTry?
Don't worry about it. I'm sure that if something was to happen they would tell you at the time. Invigilators aren't that cruel...
Hopefully, the lady kept telling me that it was alright but I couldn't help but panic,
Original post by WhyDoIEvenTry?

yeah, they should be safe
Original post by noor.m
Hopefully, the lady kept telling me that it was alright but I couldn't help but panic,

Well that's alright. Seriously, do not worry about it.
Reply 6
Original post by noor.m
phone back.
I didn't write a conclusion, I rushed so many points and for the unseen poem I didn't write an equal amount for all the bullet points as I did with all my past papers :frown:

This didn't happen to me and I am probably going to get worse marks than you in the exam
Original post by noor.m
phone back.

Don't worry about not doing well. I understand that feeling but there is nothing you can do now. Remember this is only 35% and the grade boundaries are really low you need 36/54 to get an A*. 19/54 to get a C! The great thing about english is that there is no wrong or right answer, it's about how you interpret/think of the poems. It's good you did give it in because if you were caught, you would be disqualified and there is no point in taking such a big risk!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BasicMistake
Well that's alright. Seriously, do not worry about it.

Thanks for that, I really needed the reassurance, I just wish the examiner was more clear about what would happen or if they were going to do anything so I wouldn't have worried about it throughout the exam, you know?
Original post by noor.m
phone back.

That's the worst possible thing which could've happened, just keep it in your pockets man, i had my phone with me throughout my GCSE's, all of them, sometimes i remembered to turn off my phone sometimes i didn't but be calm and don't reveal anything
Reply 10
Reminds me of the time I forgot to give some old MP3 player thing at the start of an exam. I wear headphones way too loud so was pretty scared it would come on. Went well though lol
Original post by noor.m
phone back.

You did the right thing. Maybe next time have a checklist which inlcudes making sure you take the battery out and hand the phone to the inviglatorsor put it in your locker or dont take it in.
Original post by mariah2011
Don't worry about not doing well. I understand that feeling but there is nothing you can do now. Remember this is only 35% and the grade boundaries are really low you need 36/54 to get an A*. 19/543 to get a C! The great thing about english is that there is no wrong or right answer, it's about how you interpret/think of the poems. It's good you did give it in because if you were caught, you would be disqualified and there is no point in taking such a big risk!

Thank you so much for the reassurance! No, i'm pretty sure that went awful, my points were so jumbled and I didn't make sense half the time so I'm just going to pray that at least I pass this and get a C, and rely on my English Lit paper 1 instead because I was fairly confident on that one and that's worth 60%! *fingers crossed*
Original post by Steelmeat
That's the worst possible thing which could've happened, just keep it in your pockets man, i had my phone with me throughout my GCSE's, all of them, sometimes i remembered to turn off my phone sometimes i didn't but be calm and don't reveal anything
Keep my phone in my pocket and take the risk of recieving a phone call whilst my phone's at full volume? Haha, nooo thank youuu
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Reminds me of the time I forgot to give some old MP3 player thing at the start of an exam. I wear headphones way too loud so was pretty scared it would come on. Went well though lol

It's so worrying!! I felt the exact the same,
I feel as if I barely concentrated on the paper and I regret it deeply :frown:
Original post by noor.m
Keep my phone in my pocket and take the risk of recieving a phone call whilst my phone's at full volume? Haha, nooo thank youuu

well yer should actually just leave it at home or in your bag -.-
plus i never keep my phone on full volume..... never found the need to
Original post by Steelmeat
well yer should actually just leave it at home or in your bag -.-
plus i never keep my phone on full volume..... never found the need to

firstly, I walk home so I need my phone in my pockets and also, my alarm in the morning is on my phone and I need it at full volume, but yeah it was my fault for being an idiot and
not checking my phone :colondollar:
If that happened to me then I probably would have left it in my pocket. However you said that it was on and someone could have rung you and im guessing you couldn't risk trying to turn it off. You did the right thing. I doubt anything will happen as you handed it in as soon as you noticed and seemed worried. The person also said not to worry, so you should be fine.
Original post by Kholmes1
If that happened to me then I probably would have left it in my pocket. However you said that it was on and someone could have rung you and im guessing you couldn't risk trying to turn it off. You did the right thing. I doubt anything will happen as you handed it in as soon as you noticed and seemed worried. The person also said not to worry, so you should be fine.

should've just gone to the toilets and turned it off then πŸ˜‚πŸ˜« but thank you for the reassurance!
Original post by noor.m
should've just gone to the toilets and turned it off then πŸ˜‚πŸ˜« but thank you for the reassurance!

Going to the toilets to turn it off probably would have been a bad idea. Not sure how it works but they might check you just so you can't take your phone in with you and look up the answers.

Quick Reply

Latest