Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New place, no friends! Help?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hey, I'm 23, male, recently moved to London from Cornwall where I've lived all my life. I've moved to London to pursue a career in PR/Marketing, I'm currently working for a top national firm.
    My only issue is that I literally have no friends, and I don't know how to go about making any? The people I work with are all much older than me and have different out of work interests.
    Any advice on how to go about making new friends and meeting new people?

Hi there, I'm sorry you didn't get a reply. If you have a preferred sport, join a club in London and talk to people there. You could join any club like that as per your interests and talk to new people. I'm sure you'll find new friends soon

Definitely find a club. It could be sports or non sporty. It will help you meet people with new people.

I had a similar issue when I moved to Lisbon. I was in a foreign country and had no friends. I wasn't very religeous but had just started to be interested in Christianity, then a friend came to visit in my second month here and insisted on going to church. I have made loads of friends through church.

You find that you only need to meet the odd few people and then they invite you to things and you make new friends. I have made friends too by just having drinks in a bar with collegues and random conversations with people there. I made a good friend at Christmas as we sat next to each other on the flight to London.

So don't worry it will work out. If you want me to summerise this would be my advice:
    - Research and find a club/organisation you might be interested in. London should have loads.
    - Make the most of any social situation. You may not have much in common with your collegues but go out with them you might meet their friends or other people who you get on with better. Also you feel awkard ging for a drink by yourself.
    - I don't know if it is the same there but in Lisbon there is a branch of an international Meet Up organisation which is useful that is apparently good. I can't go as I work evenings and most of the events are then.
    - Look out for events advertised such as on Facebook. You might see something sociable that you could meet people at. Here I also look at the Erasmus groups for events for international students. They often have events where they are very welcoming.
    - Just try and be sociable. Speak to people and bring up conversation. It is a bit scary at first but you get used to it. Best way is to listen to convos around you and if it is a topic you know or like just say, "I am sorry to interupt but I overheard... and I think...".

I hope this has been of help to you in some way. I do hope you make friends. It is daunting I know but like I said you just need one or 2 people and then it gets a lot easier.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.