The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by James.Carnell
Is this true in your view? That is a Margaret Thatcher quote by the way from 1986.

I have never owned a car, I am 25. I don't own a car because I find public transport is fine and I am saving up all of my money for my business and investments.

Maybe it was a failure at the time
I know people with cars who are failures.
Like those who have them but can't afford but cling onto it so people like you won't judge em.
I think that's a massive failure tbh.
I know a lad with two cars, an audi sedan and a jeep, and he never has food in his cupboards. And he flat shares with an older woman.

Post update 22 Jan 2021:
Someone bumped the thread open and I saw myself here lol I'll edit that it's not ppl like op but Maggie Thatcher herself, I must have not read the op and came straight to comment lol

I'll add on that people can have a license. But no car. As long as you have a clean license meaning you have standard driving ability then you're good. You can then rent whenever you want. And get driving jobs. Maggie was trying to bring up the motor industry for economic reasons so she cruelly guilt tripped the poor. Her desire to rule a rich country with a very divided socioeconomic system and to appease the country's rich made her an obnoxiously divisive and provocative speaker.

2nd update lol Apparently Jeremy Corbyn fallaciously claimed she said so, which shows the type of mentality he has to think up something like that. Thatcher is indeed a harsh person and if she said it I'm sure I would find it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by M14B
Maybe it was a failure at the time

If she said that (it is not a certainty if she did but the quote is often attributed to her) then I find it rather small minded.

I do think a lot of people are really presumptuous about this sort of thing in towns though. They think you are poor as you use public transport. I personally love public transport.
Is this true in your view? That is a Margaret Thatcher quote by the way from 1986.

I have never owned a car, I am 25. I don't own a car because I find public transport is fine and I am saving up all of my money for my business and investments.

Completely absurd, but I don't know what else to expect from the dead woman. ^^
Original post by 0to100
I know people with cars who are failures.
Like those who have them but can't afford but cling onto it so people like you won't judge em.
I think that's a massive failure tbh.
I know a lad with two cars, an audi sedan and a jeep, and he never has food in his cupboards. And he flat shares with an older woman.

I don't have a car lol and I live in a town. I think i get judged as being poor all of the time but I look at my bank and think its funny.

In terms of my beliefs though I am pretty damn left wing, I hate those exorbitant displays of wealth that they cannot afford.
Reply 6
If she said that (it is not a certainty if she did but the quote is often attributed to her) then I find it rather small minded.

I do think a lot of people are really presumptuous about this sort of thing in towns though. They think you are poor as you use public transport. I personally love public transport.

Well to every rule there are exceptions of course
I live in the city so there is no point for me to own one since everything is in close proximities
Now it's considered quite smart- save the environment! Also more practical in areas like London. Don't worry about it
I don't have a car lol and I live in a town. I think i get judged as being poor all of the time but I look at my bank and think its funny.

In terms of my beliefs though I am pretty damn left wing, I hate those exorbitant displays of wealth that they cannot afford.

Based on your thread title I would've never guessed that...lol
I relate I'm judged. All the time. It's whatever.
Original post by Tsunaomi
Now it's considered quite smart- save the environment! Also more practical in areas like London. Don't worry about it

I was just about to say in big cities/urban/metropolitan areas...it's not problem. And in areas where cars are needed I'm sure it would be a bit cultural to budget for one. Or you're stranded.
Hah, that's a very disrespectful quote.
Its not a failure. Some people would rather use public transport and thats fine. Thatchers dead so we dont need to listen to her now.
No it doesnt make anyone a failure!
Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Thats fine by me, none of yall were invited on my bang bus anyway
Buses are for communists.
As I recall that quote was actually wrongly attributed (I just forgot the word for that :colondollar:) to her. But anyway, no, not everybody can afford a car and some people actually care about the environment or not having their town's/city's roads unnecessarily congested... or just enjoy meeting new people on the bus or being able too look out the window and stuff.
Stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Thats fine by me, none of yall were invited on my bang bus anyway

oh ffs

i'd agree to an extent but you get some exception millionaires who take the bus whilst others live at home but work to buy an expensive car the will lose value rather than gain it unlike property
i mean that was said when car insurance and motoring costs were a lot less than they are today
and well i am 21 and getting a car as i need it for work to make more money to spend on my business, my investments and my collections
just out of interest
what's your investment scope?
as i am a tangible assets guy you know loose diamonds, physical bullion, rare wine and international property