The Student Room Group

I think I have feelings for my best friend

I'm a girl and I think I have feelings for my best guy friend which is really hard to admit, but he has a girlfriend and that makes me sad and I guess jealous so that must mean I have feelings for him. I don't know what to do. They haven't been together very long but he really really likes her he told me.

He has been seeing this girl for a while but they were never official until recently, we have had sex during that time, until they became official (yes save the moral lectures you don't know the situation and I'm not going to explain it as it doesn't matter) which I think made me get feelings for him. I never had them before and I had a boyfriend for a long time before (I never even thought of another guy when I was with him). When we had sex we never really discussed that or feelings because I think we both accepted he was seeing this girl and I didn't even admit to myself I have feelings for him until today and it's been about 6 months now since we first slept with eachother. I also don't think either of us would want to risk the friendship since we're so close.

I don't know what to do because obviously I'm going to respect his relationship but I am worried spending time with him will just make feelings grow... but I don't want to not be his friend but I it hurts knowing he's with someone else. Advice?
Reply 1
Also if he felt the same then he would have said something and wouldnt be with someone else
**** relationships, they all end up breaking and tearing your hopes and ambitions.
Respect their relationship and get over your infatuation.
Reply 4
Original post by insert-username
Respect their relationship and get over your infatuation.

I already said I am going to respect their relationship and "get over it" isn't really helpful. I already asked what I am wanting advice for, please read the question at the bottom.
Distance yourself.
Reply 6
bump
Reply 7
Your best bet is to surround yourself with new guy friends. This will act as a distraction from thinking about him all the time. You might even like one of them and potentially get into a relationship. Then you won't feel upset by your best friend at all.

Don't tell your best friend that you like him, that will only make things weird and you don't want that.
Yeah... The only way to really get over your feelings for someone you can't have is to just distance yourself from them until you feel like spending time with them doesn't hurt anymore. And even then, sometimes its hard to be with them just as friends cos the feelings can come back.

I'd say what other people have already said - surround yourself with friends, take up a new hobby, use anything that you can as a distraction.
Reply 9
Original post by UWS
Your best bet is to surround yourself with new guy friends. This will act as a distraction from thinking about him all the time. You might even like one of them and potentially get into a relationship. Then you won't feel upset by your best friend at all.

Don't tell your best friend that you like him, that will only make things weird and you don't want that.

yeah i obvs wouldnt tell him, interesting idea though, maybe... but i dont think his friends are really my type..

Original post by tania<3
Yeah... The only way to really get over your feelings for someone you can't have is to just distance yourself from them until you feel like spending time with them doesn't hurt anymore. And even then, sometimes its hard to be with them just as friends cos the feelings can come back.

I'd say what other people have already said - surround yourself with friends, take up a new hobby, use anything that you can as a distraction.

yeah its just such a shame to distance myself since we're such good friends, this was never a part of our friendship its not like this is why we became friends... so annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest