The Student Room Group

My friend regrets her options but won't change them :(

Hi there,
So I have a friend in year nine, and she took Art, PE, History and Spanish as her options. She was originally going to take science instead of PE, but her teacher said she probably isn't good enough, and my friend's confidence is shaky, so she let it get to her and chose PE instead, which she isn't very good at either to be honest. She regrets it loads and really wishes she chose her reserve subject, Food Technology (She is still too unconfident to take triple science. ) but she is too stubborn to go ask the head master about it. I have tried everything to get her to go, but she won't, and I am close to just going to talk to the head master about it without her permission. Anyone got any ideas of how I can convince her, or should I just let it go?
What grades does she get in class tests for sciences?
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
What grades does she get in class tests for sciences?

She isnt in my class but i think she gets around a D-
Original post by Amaris
She isnt in my class but i think she gets around a D-

I will be honest and say that if she were to take triple science she will need to work a LOT harder. For GCSE's to be good and helping you in future education etc you will be wanting to get around B's and triple science will only be harder for her to get higher grades.

I would also say that it depends on what she wants to do later on at A levels and beyond that because if she isn't planning to do science subjects the triple science wouldn't matter so much though I would say that there could be better subject choices than PE or food tech unless your school has limited time blocks for each subject.

With the part about seeing the headteacher is that with her changing to her reserve?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
You can't see the headmaster on her behalf.

You might be able to talk to her parents and see if they can persuade her, and if they agree to the swap. They might be able to speak to the headmaster. But ultimately it is her decision, and even if you don't agree you have to respect that.
You can talk to the year master or headmaster, but they will just respect her confidentiality. A better person to boice your concerns to would be her form or class tutor or the person in charge of careers. As suggested above you could also talk to her parents. The choice is still hers though.You could also talk to the teacherwho runs food technology. I think you are veing a good friend, but you need to realise ther choice is hers and the people I mentioned have to respect her confidentiality, so they may listen but they will talk to her.
Reply 6
Original post by Amaris
Hi there,
So I have a friend in year nine, and she took Art, PE, History and Spanish as her options. She was originally going to take science instead of PE, but her teacher said she probably isn't good enough, and my friend's confidence is shaky, so she let it get to her and chose PE instead, which she isn't very good at either to be honest. She regrets it loads and really wishes she chose her reserve subject, Food Technology (She is still too unconfident to take triple science. ) but she is too stubborn to go ask the head master about it. I have tried everything to get her to go, but she won't, and I am close to just going to talk to the head master about it without her permission. Anyone got any ideas of how I can convince her, or should I just let it go?

Tell her that if she wants to pursue science beyond GCSE level, she'll find it MUCH easier having done triple science, really.
It's really easy to sit back when faced with something like this, and I really get why, it's tough and more so it's really intimidating- almost heavy. You feel as if it's too late and you aren't good enough and it's too much of an effort to get where you want to go but trust me, I spent two years of my life doing a GCSE that caused me more stress, anxiety and depression than I have ever known- all because I thought I couldn't- or shouldn't change it, and I left it too late and now I will probably get a D in it.
If she really wants to do food tech, she should! Please tell her that she should do whatever will make her happy, because otherwise she will just waste her precious time. If she is intelligent, but more importantly if she has the willingness, to do triple science then she definitely can! And now is the best time to do it, she can ask whoevers in charge of it all and tell them why she wants to change it and I know it's intimidating because you don't know what will come of it, but as corny as it is you'll never know if you never try. And I promise you if you're doing things you enjoy, you won't have that heavy burden feeling, and you'll do much better.
I hope she does whatever will make her happy and she's lucky to have a supportive friend like you :smile:
Reply 7
Well, its the holidays now, but when we go back to school i'm going to tell her to go see him or she will kick herself later on. She is kind of below average but i think if she put in the work and effort theres no reason she cant make a pass really. If that fails then I will have to leave it be unfortunately, as i cant face talking to her parents fter accidentally breaking a china plate of theirs, and we have no tutors at my school :P
Why not get her to talk to national careers or childine and she cna bounce ideas off of them. Its less the triple science (she might no have the desire or aptitude), but more being unable to make a decision that she made the wrong choice and doesnt like one subject, but should have done another. Talk to the teacher in charge of that course. Tutors or teachers all the same.

Quick Reply

Latest