Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

best way to call companies asking for experience over summer?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

i am currently part of a scheme that you get paid over summer to to do an internship. The vacancies advertised by the scheme are really competitive so they also said it was possible to go to smaller companies and ask for experience also. Upon them recieving details of conformation you will still get paid

I just wanted to ask is it best to call them up?

As they are not typically openly offering internships any guidance on what i would say?

thanks in advance

Just email them, say what you can offer to the company and what you're hoping to get from them, and attach your CV. I wouldn't phone them as that's quite inconvenient for them.

from experience i would say its best to either call them or visit them personally. most companies don't pay attention to emails and might treat them as spam. just call or visit and be direct and simply ask if they offer any internships or work experience and if so how you would apply for it

I emailed companies for my work experience (not engineering but still) because:
    a) it's less awkward than phoning and reaching a confused secretary who doesn't know how to handle your request so you just end up being redirected to different departments and spending time on hold
    b) it's easier since you can just create a template and alter the name and company before sending it off

good luck finding your work experience

The short answer is: phone them up and ask.

The elaborate: a phone call is better than an email for this purpose as emails are often treated as spam, they might forget about it, etc. Whereas if you at least make a phone call then they will know you at least somewhat better. After the call, follow up with an email with your CV attached.

Also try and contact the right people. Use LinkedIn (you don't have to have an account to check profiles) to check for engineering managers or team leaders to contact.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.