The Student Room Group

8CH02 Paper 2 EDEXCEL CHEMISTRY Friday 10th June 2016

How's everyone feeling about Unit 2? Unit 1 wasn't bad
A very useful youtube channel is:
β€’Erintoul

Some very useful links:
β€’ http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/
β€’ http://www.chemguide.co.uk

If you guys would like to share some useful revision sites or techniques, feel free to do so!

Scroll to see replies

In. @Tank Girl can you move this to the chemistry forum?
How did everyone find it? 😭😭😭
Original post by Florent venhari
How did everyone find it? 😭😭😭

Welll....let's just say it didnt go too great....
It wasn't that bad, but a few questions were weird and I ran out of time 😭

How did you find it?
Reply 4
I thought the calculations were really bad. what did you get for n?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kazemaru99
Welll....let's just say it didnt go too great....
It wasn't that bad, but a few questions were weird and I ran out of time 😭

How did you find it?

It was awful! The 6 marker was great! But some of the calculations annoyed me 😭😭 I got n as 2.25. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚????? That percentage yield was awful. I guessed and got 39.1% lol! I hope the grade boundaries are low.

Some of the questions are soo similar to the 2016 unit 3 IAL PAPER ! Like drawing the seperating funnel πŸ˜‚ But I give up with chem! Defo dropping it next year!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samoo311
I thought the calculations were really bad. what did you get for n?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 2.25(6) 😭😭
It was awful! The 6 marker was great! But some of the calculations annoyed me 😭😭 I got n as 2.25. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚????? That percentage yield was awful. I guessed and got 39.1% lol! I hope the grade boundaries are low.

Some of the questions are soo similar to the 2015 unit 3 IAL PAPER ! Like drawing the seperating funnel πŸ˜‚ But I give up with chem! Defo dropping it next year!

Oh my gosh I 100% agree with the calculations :frown:
The paper was just weird πŸ˜‚ I used to think I was alright at chemistry but I guess not xD

Ughhh I wish I could drop it, but i desperately need to drop physics πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Reply 8
I got 2.25(6) 😭😭

I got 5 😭😭😭 I even got the percentages wrong at 32%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my gosh I 100% agree with the calculations :frown:
The paper was just weird πŸ˜‚ I used to think I was alright at chemistry but I guess not xD

Ughhh I wish I could drop it, but i desperately need to drop physics πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I didn't even want to do this *****y subject! I had to chose it in order to save my self from doing English! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about it; I didn't even have time to answer that question 😁 I'm sure you'll get some at least πŸ‘
I didn't even want to do this *****y subject! I had to chose it in order to save my self from doing English! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ahaha I feel for you πŸ˜‚ 😭 I'm gonna have to change all of my plans for which unis to apply for now!
I got n=2.25 so I rounded it down to 2 as it had to be a whole number. I'm not sure if it's right, but the fact that it's not a whole number is explained by the question after, so maybe it is.
Don't worry about it; I didn't even have time to answer that question 😁 I'm sure you'll get some at least πŸ‘

Ugh I hope so do you remember how many marks the yield question was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 seems correct! This is what I did:

Moles of NaOH = 0.103x16.20/1000 =0.0016686
Moles of H2C2O4 = 0.0016686/2 = 0.0008343 mol
Moles in 250 cm3 = answer x 10 = 0.008343
Mass of H2C2O4 = 90 x 0.008343 = 0.75087 g
Mass of Water = 1.09 - 0.75087 then I did empirical formula then got n as being 2.25 😭😭 I hope I didn't read the concentration wrong
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Astro_Joe
I got n=2.25 so I rounded it down to 2 as it had to be a whole number. I'm not sure if it's right, but the fact that it's not a whole number is explained by the question after, so maybe it is.

I got that!!! It doesn't have to be a whole number. I think the 2016 IAL UNIT 3 paper for January had a similar question and n was a decimal
Reply 16
5 seems correct! This is what I did:

Moles of NaOH = 0.103x16.20/1000 =0.0016686
Moles of H2C2O4 = 0.0016686/2 = 0.0008343 mol
Moles in 250 cm3 = answer x 10 = 0.008343
Mass of H2C2O4 = 90 x 0.008343 = 0.75087 g
Mass of Water = 1.09 - 0.75087 then I did empirical formula then got n as being 2.25 😭😭 I hope I didn't read the concentration wrong

I did the exact same too! Should be worth a couple either way... We can only hope
I got that!!! It doesn't have to be a whole number. I think the 2016 IAL UNIT 3 paper for January had a similar question and n was a decimal

Ah, I see! That makes me hopeful - perhaps they'll ignore the fact that I rounded it to 2. :smile:
What was the reagent and the conditions????

I wrote:
KMnO4 lol I guessed. I thought it makes a diol so..... And 50% H2SO4 (that's wrong)

For conditions I wrote hot and ethanol as solvent. I should have written down REFLUX 😭😣😣

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
What was the reagent and the conditions????

I wrote:
KMnO4 lol I guessed. I thought it makes a diol so..... And 50% H2SO4 (that's wrong)

For conditions I wrote hot and ethanol as solvent. I should have written down REFLUX 😭😣😣

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was is H2S04 and K2Cr2O7 and then heating under reflux?

Quick Reply

Latest