The Student Room Group

OCR A2 French Coursework....what should I chose?

Well, basically my teacher came up with a brilliant idea today about my coursework for next year, and that instead of just critiquing a film, I could critique a film which originated from a book. It will be a hard slog of work, but I think it'll be worth it in the end, because my teacher thinks that it'll give me access to the higher grade boundaries.

Anyways, my teacher has recommended that I do the following films which she has, and will order the books for, both my Marcel Pagnol; Jean de Florette, or Manon des Sources. I don't know anything about them, so if anybody could tell me whether these will be too difficult for me, please say:p: Also, if there are any other, more interesting alternatives, please tell:smile:

Thanks a lot in advance:biggrin:

**please note....I know I have spelt choose wrong in the title:redface: Don't hit me:p:
For our OCR A2 coursework, we all had a free choice in French - I did "Les privileges du president - s'interesse-t-il a sa propre vie plus qu'a celle de ses citoyens?" . In German I did mine on the play Die Physiker, which has been made into a film like those French ones - so the choice that you get is reeeeeally huge hehe.

When I see what people I know at other schools doing OCR A2 languages are doing, I sometimes feel the teachers are pushing them too hard, often making them do heavy literary essays with tons of literary analysis - my french one was basically nothing more than a longer version of the kind of thing we might get asked to do for homework, quite light and easy to read, and I got 59/60 on it. In German, yes it was literature, but a few quotes and not too much hard work (apart from the whole writing-in-German aspect...lol) an i got 58/60. Unlike my friend who wrote pretty much an entire critique on l'etranger lol, and only got 49/60.

Basically, chose something that YOU are comfortable with and that you are truly interested in - it'll be so much easier and i guarantee it would be better!
Just seen that you're doing AEA french as well - good luck!! The whole prospect is scaring me lol!

...hang on...you're doing it a year early?!??!
Reply 3
I'd try 'Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran' by Albin Michel. It's a really beautiful book and (very importantly) short and easy to read. You're starting early, but when you've got loads of other coursework deadlines and hassle in year 13 it's good to be doing something which you don't have to sift through for hours to find a quote.

It's set in Paris, about this young boy who gets abandoned by his parents and forms a relationship with the arab who runs the corner shop. That doesn't make it sound very enticing, I know, but it was really moving, and a film has been made from it which is also very good. It's quite philosophical as well, which you may or may not enjoy.

I'd definitely recommend it, whether you choose to do it for coursework or not. Good luck!
Reply 4
Duck and Cover
Just seen that you're doing AEA french as well - good luck!! The whole prospect is scaring me lol!

...hang on...you're doing it a year early?!??!

:p: Yip, a year early. Imagine how scared I am:p: We can only try our best can't we?:biggrin:
Hehe indeedy!!
Just read ur TSR profile, we seem quite similar lol - are u looking to do languages at unI???
Reply 6
Duck and Cover
Hehe indeedy!!
Just read ur TSR profile, we seem quite similar lol - are u looking to do languages at unI???

Yip, French and German 2008 here i come:biggrin:

I don't suppose you have the 2003, 2005, or 2006 papers which you could send me do you?:redface: I literally have only the 2002 and 2004 ones, and they haven't really been much help:frown: If not, never mind:p:
Yeah same, sos lol.
Does anyone have any useful notes on Monsieur Ibrahim e.g. the characters or themes? can't find a lot of them and really struggling- thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest